2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Test Drive - My Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test Drive - My Thoughts

Got to drive around for 45 min in a dealer demo Cruze.
Trim level was 2LT
Good
Lots of driver / passenger room and interior looked / felt high quality, honda-esque
Exterior looks good
Handles quite well and feels more solid than my SS.
Tapshift will do whatever you ask of it
Great MPG for a gas engine
Tune and intake would do wonders.

Fail
NO damn trunk space. Couldn't fit one set of golf clubs without protruding into the rear seats
Lack of power. Peak torque at 1800 gives a brief illusion of acceleration but falls off quickly.
Automatic transmission is a slushbox. Tapshift is so slow to respond that shifting well before the rev limiter still resulted in touching the limiter slightly.
Manual transmission not available in any higher trim level (only the Eco and 1.8 n/a models)
Very few option packages/configurations available. ie: turbo engine only offered with manual if you get the "eco" version, cruise control only available with the "connectivity pkg" (AUX, USB audio hook ups, bluetooth, etc), RS package not available with ECO or LTZ, 4-wheel disc brakes only available on LTZ.

Bottom line, it's a vast improvement over the Cobalt in quality and fit/finish, but I doubt it will appeal to the younger demographic of 18-35. Definitely not enough cargo room or power for my needs. I will hold out to see what the cruze SS brings to the table but I doubt I will be trading my cobalt ss/sc for one of these any time soon.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bika
Trim level was 2LT
Good
Lots of driver / passenger room and interior looked / felt high quality, honda-esque
Exterior looks good

Fail
NO damn trunk space. Couldn't fit one set of golf clubs without protruding into the rear seats
Lack of power. Peak torque at 1800 gives a brief illusion of acceleration but falls off quickly.
Automatic transmission is a slushbox. Tapshift is so slow to respond that shifting well before the rev limiter still resulted in touching the limiter slightly.
Manual transmission not available in any higher trim level (only the Eco and 1.8 n/a models)
Very few option packages/configurations available. ie: turbo engine only offered with manual if you get the "eco" version, cruise control only available with the "connectivity pkg" (AUX, USB audio hook ups, bluetooth, etc), RS package not available with ECO or LTZ, 4-wheel disc brakes only available on LTZ.

Bottom line, it's a vast improvement over the Cobalt in quality and fit/finish, but I doubt it will appeal to the younger demographic of 18-35. Definitely not enough cargo room or power for my needs. I will hold out to see what the cruze SS brings to the table but I doubt I will be trading my cobalt ss/sc for one of these any time soon.
Honestly being a 2.4 guy if it came with the 6sp manual on the ltz trim with about 30-40hp more id probably drive it as a daily and enjoy it. I never use the trunk anyway. But the hp is a killer. I think its almost the slowest car in its class.

Last edited by CordiaDOHC; 02-07-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 AM

Trim level was 2LT
Good
Exterior looks good

Fail

lol no.. you're wrong with atleast one of these above...

but I drove a cruze LT1 a whiles back an it was.. eh.. very dissappointin.. twas when it first came out an i was all(kinda) hyped up.. eh... wasnt nuthin crazy..

lotsa space tho, trunk openin; better than a cobalt, trunk space; garbage... GM needs to find a good medium..q
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88
That's what I was thinking. How does it do anything you want, then not do ****? Haha

I would only own the LTZ right now. But I would love a 2.0 turbo in one. Like an SS
Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Fail Less.

Let me clarify. It lets you shift whenever you want, at whatever rpm whether its correct or not. I could tapdance on the rev limiter if i wished. many tapshifts will shift before the redline regardless of driver input.

It simply lags about 250 rpms behind the driver's input.

Thats all. No contradiction.

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88

but I drove a cruze LT1 a whiles back an it was.. eh.. very dissappointin.. twas when it first came out an i was all(kinda) hyped up.. eh... wasnt nuthin crazy..

lotsa space tho, trunk openin; better than a cobalt, trunk space; garbage... GM needs to find a good medium..
Amen.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 PM

I see this car being a hot seller with those people who are trading in a mitsubishi mirage. It definitely does not seem to be target at the younger crowd, let alone, the automotive enthousiasts.

Its a lathargic, consciencious, mediocre performing, updgrade to what was, but is in no way what will end up being. Its a stepping stone, i just hope they still turn profit on it before it becomes too big of a dud.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM

lol even on the superbowl commercials, they told the kids they were gonna get a free one and even held up a picture with the HUGE snout an they didn't even care, they were jus real excited they were gettin a car at all
Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 PM

"RS package not available with ECO or LTZ, 4-wheel disc brakes only available on LTZ. "

RS is available with LTZ and you can get 4wheels+17"wheels on a 2LT optional, part of a package (brakes+wheel+sport suspension)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by shawn672
"RS package not available with ECO or LTZ, 4-wheel disc brakes only available on LTZ. "

RS is available with LTZ and you can get 4wheels+17"wheels on a 2LT optional, part of a package (brakes+wheel+sport suspension)
But you cant get an RS LTZ with the 6spd manual
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Fail Less.

all the wheels except the LTZ are fugly, and even then they are heavy ass 18"s. eco has 17s which are butt ugly 15 spokes. the 16s look like our SS/SC rims only smaller.

They need to offer the 6M in all trim levels, not just eco and base ls. GM fails me yet again
Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 AM

well in reality, manuals dont sell, so thats probably why they didnt waste their time offering it. Simply their trim levels/option packages = more profit
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Grishbok
I see this car being a hot seller with those people who are trading in a mitsubishi mirage. It definitely does not seem to be target at the younger crowd, let alone, the automotive enthousiasts.

Its a lathargic, consciencious, mediocre performing, updgrade to what was, but is in no way what will end up being. Its a stepping stone, i just hope they still turn profit on it before it becomes too big of a dud.
Exactly..it will sell to those who aren't *performance* conscious, but want a nice car that looks great, is comforatble to drive and gets good gas mi. I saw this car for the first time at the dealership when we got my daughter's 2010 LT last week. I was very impressed at the overall look and quality interior...damn nice. They had them at MSRP with all dealer charges included at 18,500-21,000 range. They will sell for sure. A world of difference from the Cobalt of old.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Fail Less.

I wanna pull the trigger on a cruze but dont think I could live w/o the excitement of my SS... :-\

I remember how much better we all though the cobalt quality was than the outgoing J-body platform. In reality it wasn't much better. So far, I think the cruze made much more progress in quality/fit/finish than the cobalt did. It's a bit early to tell though.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM

4500 miles and still no rattles, noises, things peeling etc. paints been solid, interior is amazing
the quality and fit/finish alone is worth it
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 AM

4500 miles and still no rattles, noises, things peeling etc. paints been solid, interior is amazing
Little OT...but...
18 K mi on my 09 SS..not a rattle or knock. ROCK solid so far.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Fail Less.

Yes, but you're coming from an LS/LT cobalt not a modded ss/sc. No love lost there I know because my father has an LS sitting around that I occasionally drive. Thing is so cheap and boring, makes me want to drive off a cliff
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM

I had an 05 SS st2, it was quick but the interior rattled to hell, it's basically the same as the base balt interior except it get g85 (recaros)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM

I drove one... it felt neutered. No thanks. The radio is too ostentatious as well. They have a way of making a run-of-the-mill POS radio look like something.

And the shifter. It felt, idk how to describe it. It made you feel limp-wristed. It felt like I was grabbing a Pepsi can out of a cooler.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

I wanna pull the trigger on a cruze but dont think I could live w/o the excitement of my SS... :-\

I remember how much better we all though the cobalt quality was than the outgoing J-body platform. In reality it wasn't much better. So far, I think the cruze made much more progress in quality/fit/finish than the cobalt did. It's a bit early to tell though.
Allegedly the Cruze interior is clipped in like ours is... so I can easily see it becoming a rattle trap after 20K miles.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Yes, but you're coming from an LS/LT cobalt not a modded ss/sc. No love lost there I know because my father has an LS sitting around that I occasionally drive. Thing is so cheap and boring, makes me want to drive off a cliff
What year is the LS? My '09 is not boring- prob because of the stronger torque in the 2.2.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Good review.... and it's freak'in expensive. With options most people want it pushes 20k. F that.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1angry_cichlid
Good review.... and it's freak'in expensive. With options most people want it pushes 20k. F that.
And so are other compacts. Don't you see the trend, sonic beneath the cruze allows the cruze to not be the entry level, similar to the fiesta and focus. many compacts nowadays easily push over 20k with options. Just because people buy small doesn't mean they have to compromise anymore.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM

actually to help explain the Cruze better, it does have plenty of trunk space and in fact it is considered a mid size car trunk because it is 1cu inch larger than the chevy Malibou's trunk so idk how you would consider it small.....and the transmission is designed to learn how you drive and it adjusts how it shifts and feels after about 50-100 miles of driving and then becomes seamless, until it learns how you drive, it will feel sloshy but it is designed that way. It is a great car and i have sold more to the 18-35 demographic than any other age. Sounds like where you went didnt give you the full presentation on the car lol.. im glad you had a chance to test drive it though and I also cant wait till they come out with a ss package.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 AM

No I love it man- beautiful car. I wish I could afford one.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 05SSBalt
actually to help explain the Cruze better, it does have plenty of trunk space and in fact it is considered a mid size car trunk because it is 1cu inch larger than the chevy Malibou's trunk so idk how you would consider it small.....and the transmission is designed to learn how you drive and it adjusts how it shifts and feels after about 50-100 miles of driving and then becomes seamless, until it learns how you drive, it will feel sloshy but it is designed that way. It is a great car and i have sold more to the 18-35 demographic than any other age. Sounds like where you went didnt give you the full presentation on the car lol.. im glad you had a chance to test drive it though and I also cant wait till they come out with a ss package.
Its not the size of the trunk in CU IN that really matters, its how its designed. We (the cobalts) have a generous trunk, but our opening is incredibly small...making it somewhat useless for larger things.

Quick Reply: Test Drive - My Thoughts