General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Class Action Suit! Please Read!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class Action Suit! Please Read!

I know from reading many other threads that a lot of people have had clutch problems with this car. If anyone has read my previous post regarding mine, just know that it is now worse. Not only does the stock clutch blow, but my dealer didn't disclose that my car had its second (2) clutch and whoever repaired it before also did not replace it right. While this is not GM's fault, the factory clutch problems alone should not go without a fight.

My mechanic was reading through this forum and other sites and he saw himself that there was clutch problems. In fact he googled cobalt ss clutch problems and a lot of sites came up. I do not know if anyone else is as upset as I am but if you are please respond, as I, my family, and my mechanic agree that this could result in a class action suit. There is too many people on this forum that know how to drive stick, including myself to have so many clutches burn out so quickly.

-Justin
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM

The judge will say "You bought a GM. Deal with it."
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM

lol the clutch is fine actually its been proven you need to learn how to drive the car u cant just drive it like you do any other car
Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
lol the clutch is fine actually its been proven you need to learn how to drive the car u cant just drive it like you do any other car
QFT!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Shifting at 3k FTW
Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 PM

i think this is funny though, yes there are clutch problems for kids who cant drive the car
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM

I just sold my cobalt but i had 26500+ miles on that original clutch. I was pretty heavily modified also had over 8 track passes on the car. The thing held solid as a rock. Never slipped once for me.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 PM

i think this is funny though, yes there are clutch problems for kids who cant drive the car
One of them kids who fucked up his clutch<<<<
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
<--- 50,000 miles. 300+ Street Races. 20-25 track passes. 3k daily driving shifts. Powershifting during WOT runs. No Slip. Original Clutch
Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM

27 thousand miles of 'sporty' *cough* driving.

Zero clutch slip.

Learn to drive this car properly.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hell i learned on this car.. and my car has about 35100 miles all in less then 2 years.. i run my car hard for the most part.. and my clutch isn't shitting out on me granted i have a 2.4 but if you drive the car right you'll be ok....
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM

I only drove the car for 319 miles since I had it. Now all of you guys have had luck, fine. Maybe it was just who had the car before me, fine. Bottom line, other people have had problems and that's simply not right to make everyone pay out of pocket; and that's a fact. And before the really harsh flaming, I know how to drive stick. Even if I didn't, I didn't burn my clutch out in 319 miles. Maybe it really was WHO HAD IT BEFORE ME THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEMS.

I know how to drive the car. So really, don't go there. It is a weird clutch, even when functional; but is that something that in turn should be ok?

So you guys have had luck, cool. Maybe everyone else didn't drive "the weird clutch" right and had problems, cool. But either way, going off of known issues and the fact that I didn't do this to the car, something should be done. If no one else agrees to that, ok; I'll handle my situation in small claims court, buy an exedy hypersingle and be done, but if anyone feels that they've been wronged, speak up because now is a chance to conjure support and fix it. If not then **** it, we are all on our own.

And no I haven't had any litigation drafted, so I'm not being that hasty. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else feels hosed also.

just to reiterate....I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE STICK. I TRIED FOLLOWING THE STICKY THAT SAID TO HOLD TILL 3K AND SHIFT AND NOTHING. THIS IS A GENUINE CLUTCH ISSUE THAT WAS IN NO WAY MY FAULT AS THE MECHANICAL OPERATOR. REFRAIN FROM FLAMING; IT'S POINTLESS AS I WILL NOT CONCEDE THAT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A STICK.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 AM

Luck??? No, skill. I have 2 Cobalt SS's.

2006 SS/SC has 42,500+ miles on the stock clutch, full season of racing last year, many long road trips, lots of accelerations to rev limiter due to short freeway on ramps, and lots of mountain driving. No problems.

2007 SS/NA sedan w/ 5-speed has over 15,000 miles on the stock clutch. Started seeing racing within 6 weeks of purchase, a few long road trips, including a trip for Salt Lake City, Utah to College Station, Texas, lots of accelerations to rev limiter due to short freeway on ramps, and lots of mountain driving. No problems.

As you said, it may have been due to the previous owner and the fact that the first time it was repaired it wasn't done right. Luck had nothing to do with it. Let your tech fix it. It should have been covered under warranty anyways if it only has 319 miles. Go fix it and don't start throwing legal action around. So far, it sounds like your issue with the previous tech that did the repairs, not GM. For the record, I grew up in a home of people who work in the legal field. I think I know enough to know that you're only mad and probably can't afford to start a law suit anyways. You have to start the suit at your own expense, then you have to find co-plaintiffs, then you have to petition the court to make it a class action law suit and try to gets the courts approval. Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM

I think you're missing the point. Everyone who has posted in has said that they haven't had issues. And yes there are plenty of people who don't know how to drive. But there are also a lot of people, not just on this forum, because there is an outside world from here, that have had problems. I haven't threatened any litigation. Furthermore, I am a law student and have somewhat of a knowledge of a class action procedure. What I am saying is that if anyone else has had genuine issues with their clutch, to speak up and consider this action. My situation is not a legal battle with GM. I am merely creating a pathway for those on here who have had genuine issues. My car does not have 319 miles on it. it has 30k. I have put that much on there. My situation is not one for pursuit of GM. It is isolated. There are other people who may want to consider this option. All I'm saying. Please hold the flaming because if anybody really read what I wrote they would understand what I am saying and know that I am trying to help others by awareing them of an option they may not have known about. That's all.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM

its not GMs fault if the previous owner abused or caused damage to the clutch...also the clutch is considered wear and tear the same way brakes are
Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by jmw8822
I think you're missing the point. Everyone who has posted in has said that they haven't had issues. And yes there are plenty of people who don't know how to drive. But there are also a lot of people, not just on this forum, because there is an outside world from here, that have had problems. I haven't threatened any litigation. Furthermore, I am a law student and have somewhat of a knowledge of a class action procedure. What I am saying is that if anyone else has had genuine issues with their clutch, to speak up and consider this action. My situation is not a legal battle with GM. I am merely creating a pathway for those on here who have had genuine issues. My car does not have 319 miles on it. it has 30k. I have put that much on there. My situation is not one for pursuit of GM. It is isolated. There are other people who may want to consider this option. All I'm saying. Please hold the flaming because if anybody really read what I wrote they would understand what I am saying and know that I am trying to help others by awareing them of an option they may not have known about. That's all.
Wait I thought this was the only place on earth. Damn
Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 PM

stock clutch... 47,000 miles.. AGE = 26 <--- i think this is something you need to find out on the "broken" clutches..

i have stage II + higher and my clutch works fine.. it slips only if i MAKE it slip (over powering speed shifts)

.. this car can burn a clutch fast.. it is about the most finicky clutch i have ever used however you just gotta really know how to drive a 5-speed to not burn it up...
i guarentee most of these "clutch" problems are newbie 5-speed owners or people who really are not that great at it.. driving a 5 - speed and driving a 5-speed without burning is two different things...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:42 PM

11,000 hard miles, ~7,000 of those miles with a 2.6" pulley, header, race exhaust, ect. Original clutch with no slip, had over 50 runs at the track, still no slip. Many many times being powershifted, still no slip...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since clutch is considered wear and tear, it's going to be really hard to fight. it's like fighting gm because your tires wore out too quickly. plus, like you said, since you bought the car used, i doubt there's really anything you can do about it. but best of luck ,and let us know how this goes.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Do you know what a damn class action lawsuit is? Everyone has to have the same problem. I have 13k on my car and my clutch is still not slipping. If any thing you should file a Lemon law suit not class action law suit.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM

you think its just gm haveing clutch proplems look at hondas. theres dont even stay in gear. my car has 15k on it and no proplems with my clutch. i also learned to drive stick on this car. its been to the track a good amount of times and on the dyno and it still is fine.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 PM

had my car for almost 3 years, learned to drive stick on it.. 75,000Km ORIGINAL CLUTCH.... No issues so far.... Ppl need to learn how to drive and not abuse their cars
Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kissmySS
had my car for almost 3 years, learned to drive stick on it.. 75,000Km ORIGINAL CLUTCH.... No issues so far.... Ppl need to learn how to drive and not abuse their cars
exactly

/thread
Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Agreed!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM

i had 3 clutches. the original, blew within a month or 2. they said it was factory default, w/e that means. then i had massive synchro problems. 3rd n 4th wud always have a synchro problem. after a little while and almost a year of the stock clutch, it wore heavily. i didn't blow it, but it was on it's last limb. now i have a spec stage 2+ and it's such a nice clutch. no slipping, no synchro wear, everything is fine now. i hope that helps. i have a 2.2 and i know how to drive a manual. i learned on a shitty civic that had a worn clutch. i've driven my dad's f150 stick n never had a problem. but for a new car the clutches straight up suck. GM should have put something better in.

-ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class Action Suit! Please Read!