How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: How-To remove door panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How-To remove door panels

I want to take out my door panels and redo that section of fabric. I saw someone leave a post that there is a thread in the 'how to' on how to get the door panels off. Well I have searched and cant find it. So can anyone tell me how to get the door panels off!?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:00 PM

I would like to know this too because my passenger side door handle is loose and I would like to tighten it but can't get to it from the outside.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:24 PM

I wonder if you can take the silver trim off the door panel thats around the window button
Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 PM

ok, here's how you take off the door panels...I'm an autoglass tech, and have already replaced 5 cobalt door windows within the last 2 weeks.

Tools needed:
Pocket flathead screwdriver
Philips head screwdriver(or drill bit+drill)
Door panel tool (Easily purchased for a few bucks at Autozone/PepBoys)

1.) Using your small flatehead screwdriver, remove the plastic covers from A-behind the Chrome handle, B-inside the compartment on the armrest behind the switches. Doing this will reveal three(3) screws.

2.) Using your Philips head screwdriver/bit, remove the aforementioned three(3) screws.

3.)Using your door panel tool, CAREFULLY lift the silver switch panel up, STARTING with the side to the rear of the door(back of the car). This is held by a clip, not to hard to pry up. The reason you want to start at this point is because the front of the panel is a clip the slides under the lip, so you don't want to break it. Unplug switches.

3.) Beginning at the lower left corner of the door panel, use your panel tool to CAREFULLY pry the panel off the body. If you do this correctly, you will hear a POP, this is one of the many pins popping out of it's housing, it's a good thing. Continue CAREFULLY around the perimeter of the door until all are released.

4.) CAREFULLY pop the tweeter pod from the frame, but DO NOT try to remove it from the door panel. It does not come off, just unplug the tweeter and you'll be fine.

5.) Lift the door panel until it comes free.

6.) Reach behind the panel from the top, and lift up on the black plastic clip that holds the wire to the door handle. It should lift up easily.

Door panel has been successfully removed. I cannot stress to you enough to be careful when doing this. Replacing door parts is not cheap, and this is no exception. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful!!!!!!!

Once you have done what you want to do, reverse the above steps, with a couple of twists.

Twist 1.) Door handle wire: Place the silver "bracket" at the end of the wire into the small hole on the bottom of the black housing. Once you clip it in from the bottom, it will make the re-attachment of the wire to the door handle much much easier.

Twist 2.)Lower the window all the way into the door before placing the panel back on, it makes doing so much easier as well.

I have not posted pics yet as A-I have no camera, and B- I was on the clock, WITH NO CAMERA, though technically I'm not paid to take pics, but then again, who cares right...Will try to get ahold of a camera this weekend to post pics for you guys, but hopefully this will suffice for now. If you have any questions, or need further explanations, don't hesitate to pm me.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:16 PM

im debating if i want to take the leather insert off, and make a fiberglass one.... i think it would look nice to have the arrival blue fiberglass, with the silver lock and window thing....
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM

you guys know the piece im talkin about right? on the cobalt LS the center little fabric piece on the door wher the arm rest and window/lock buttons are. My boyfriend just took his door panels out on his RSX and redid them with fabric. I want to do the same with mine. But so far have not found anyone who has so....i dont want to go tearing my door apart. But Kritter those directions are awesome, thank you!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Im fairly sure the piece that the fabric is on is plastic welded in..... look on the back of the door panel
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 PM

so its not lookin good?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:36 PM

Im pretty sure its Not plastic welded on because anything fabric wrapped is removeable for replacement reaso also i dont think you need to take the whole door panle off. Just remove the cover and screws in the handles part of the window and door lock button piece remove and you should be able to pop that insert piece off.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 05REDROCKET
Im pretty sure its Not plastic welded on because anything fabric wrapped is removeable for replacement reaso also i dont think you need to take the whole door panle off. Just remove the cover and screws in the handles part of the window and door lock button piece remove and you should be able to pop that insert piece off.
you rock
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM

^^^ True, but by removing the door panel, you can flip it over, and find the clips that hold it in place, thus allowing you to unclip the desired section without breaking anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by italstalnprd86
Im fairly sure the piece that the fabric is on is plastic welded in..... look on the back of the door panel

?? Welded plastic?? You can't weld plastic. You can melt it but usually that's not done either.

Cool idea with the fiberglass door panel. I'm thinking of doing the back of my girls cavy and my SS SC behind the back seats where the speakers are mounted. Goodluck on that.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Get low

i got my loose fabric replaced under warrenty, they gave me a whole new inside door
Old 03-31-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by biohazard
i got my loose fabric replaced under warrenty, they gave me a whole new inside door
oh its not loose or anything, im doing it for cosmetic reasons. A nice lil DIY mod
Old 03-31-2006, 06:22 PM

I've had the door panels off, that fabric panel (or leather panel for the SS's) is held on by some clips, looked like it was just a plastic piece with some fabric stretched across and glued down.

I was thinking of getting mine fiberglassed and painted to match the car, along with my amp rack and sub enclosure...I really like the laser blue color...

But once you get the door panels off you should be fine. Those instructions up above are really good too.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:25 PM

you rock thanks! nice to hear from someone who has done it!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Edited since this has become a How-To.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:21 PM

I work at GM and have worked a little in repair. Some of these pastic snap on parts that are taken off do not fit the same or at all once taken off and require a new part.

So after removing and reinstalling is the panel loose or does it retain a tight fit ? Any chance of breaking any of the clips that hold it in place, if so can you swap the clips out with new ones ?

ThanX
Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 PM

Are the fabric inserts from the crank windows the same size as the power window setup? I was going to buy the leather inserts and replace the cloth ones in my car, but looking at photos, it looks as if the inserts from the power window setup has a slightly different shape
Old 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM

let me know how that works out dan i may do the same.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be doing a How-to for Front and Rear speakers w/ PICTURES, when Im done in the shower.

Just installed my Infinity Kappa's. Man they sound nice, and was really suprised to see the paper front speakers and plastic rears. Sounds 100X better already, and haven't even installed the 800 watt-four channel amp yet.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julex
?? Welded plastic?? You can't weld plastic. You can melt it but usually that's not done either.

Cool idea with the fiberglass door panel. I'm thinking of doing the back of my girls cavy and my SS SC behind the back seats where the speakers are mounted. Goodluck on that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_welding

And as for the door panels i didnt read through the whole thread but http://www.g5club.net/forum/showthre...ght=door+panel i think thats what your looking for?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Just replaced stock nasty ugly black cloth door panels with red SS leather panels. So much better. I did not use a door panel removal tool, I stuck in a flathead and pulled gently and then got a few fingers up in there and pulled the thing right off. Only thing is the door panels I got had some missing pieces like the tweeters and some tabs or whatever were broken so I had to do a little hot gluing and replaced some parts from the last door panels on these. Pretty easy.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM

is it possible to remove the panel withou opening the door? my pass. door wont open all of a sudden and i want to get it checked. but man do i want to avoid the stealership...
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM

anyone?

Quick Reply: Interior: How-To remove door panels