08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

OnStar VCIM Location

Old 03-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OnStar VCIM Location

Can anyone tell me where the OnStar VCIM (aka brain) is on our cars? Looked around the site and on google and came up with a couple references to the trunk area, but if anyone can narrow it down I'd appreciate it.

EDIT:

Of course, a few minutes after posting and searching more I found this:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/09-bluetooth-dash-133325/

"On the rear package shelf,between the rear speakers, under neath the trim panel."

Last edited by Gimpster; 03-08-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I was about to post that, what are you up to?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Ultimatly I intend on totally removing OnStar, but right now I'm just investigating my options. If its anything like the corvette VCIM/CIM you have to leave the GMLAN connector plugged in, but otherwise its dead in the water. Then I'll go find a non-OnStar rear view mirror and make a pass-thru for the GMLAN. I won't know until I see it.

Sucks I'll lose the integrated bluetooth functionality, but whatever... if I get bored I'll figure out how to integrate an aftermarket bluetooth handsfree into the old mic etc in my spare time.

Call me old fashioned, but the featureset of OnStar isn't anything I desire or need. I asked the dealer not to activate it, but he said he couldn't do that (which now appears to be a lie) AND OnStar refuses to terminate the service until the 1 year free is up. I could really deal without my car emailing me, tracking me and datalogging me I know that GM/OnStar wouldn't bother with a gimp like me, but it still bothers me. If you read the fine print on OnStar (which you agree to by buying the car, doh) its not the nicest document in the world.

Now to find a how-to on removing the rear deck trim
Old 03-08-2009, 04:04 PM

they actually forgot to activate my 1 year free onstar they kept calling me asking me to activate and i just told them no they finally stopped bothering me cause i told them there was no chance i was activating it.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Just ground the antenna if you are worried about it LOL
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just unplug the VCIM and leave the black connector with the 4 tan wires installed. No need to make anything or remove too much. You should be able to get your hand in there and disconnect by folding the seat down and just prying up on the shelf trim.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Subscribed for a how-to
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MARIN007
Subscribed for a how-to
See above post.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
See above post.
*embarrassed* I don't understand what/where this is:
"On the rear package shelf,between the rear speakers, under neath the trim panel."

Is that behind the heads of where the back seat passengers sit?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MARIN007
*embarrassed* I don't understand what/where this is:

Is that behind the heads of where the back seat passengers sit?
hehe. yes.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks Maven. I don't know...rear package shelf just sounds wrong to me, lol. Thought it could
be something else.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Thank you Maven, thats the information I needed!

I just hope GM/OnStar doesnt start calling and harassing me over it since it was activated.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the safety aspect of OnStar but won't be renewing after the free year is over. What ticks me off most on my car is how the non-sunroof cars with OnStar didn't get reading lights in the mirror. I hate having to reach up and over my shoulder to turn on the dome light. When my OnStar is up I'm switching over to a different model with reading lights.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gimpster
Thank you Maven, thats the information I needed!

I just hope GM/OnStar doesnt start calling and harassing me over it since it was activated.
Nope. If they did youd be the first. Just be happy you can do it now, because if it goes "next gen" on us theyll integrate into the BCM and youll be screwed, all youll be able to is pull hte antennas, maybe........

Originally Posted by blackbird
I like the safety aspect of OnStar but won't be renewing after the free year is over. What ticks me off most on my car is how the non-sunroof cars with OnStar didn't get reading lights in the mirror. I hate having to reach up and over my shoulder to turn on the dome light. When my OnStar is up I'm switching over to a different model with reading lights.
OnStar isnt the reason you dont have reading lights in the mirror, the fact that youve got no sunroof is why. ONLY the sunroof cars get ISRV mounted lights. OnStar is fun to pick on but they dont have anything to do with your lights, LMAO.

Last edited by Maven; 03-09-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OnStar isnt the reason you dont have reading lights in the mirror, the fact that youve got no sunroof is why. ONLY the sunroof cars get ISRV mounted lights. OnStar is fun to pick on but they dont have anything to do with your lights, LMAO.
Perhaps you read that wrong, but I did mention me having a non-sunroof car and I know the sunroof equipped cars have the OnStar and the reading lights. My point being when my year is up I'll have no need for the OnStar buttons and that gives me some different options to swap in a different rear view vice having to track down one from a sunroof car.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 PM

So i finally got my 2009 LS XFE de-onstared thanks to Maven. Worked like a charm! I did have to unbolt my headrests with a 13mm socket and bend the deckmat a lot to get to it then use a 7mm socket to take out the screw holding the Contential box in place. It did not say onstar on it in anyway shape or form but it did say it had .6 watt transmitting power and it had a small single pin wire (probally cellular antenna) hooked up along with the larger coax wire for the sattellite and 3 wiring harness. if you don't leave the black on with the 4 tan wires hooked up your car will not start. just wanted to clear that up. Does anyone have a work around so i can take that box out?

Last edited by 09slobalt; 03-10-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to add this.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM

If you read the fine print on OnStar (which you agree to by buying the car, doh) its not the nicest document in the world.
For example...?

Just wondering, if, say one of us were to make a zillion consecutive passes at a dragstrip. Or maybe high-speed runs to test the speed limiter (on a closed road, or course ;-) Should we expect them to do anything of consequence with this information?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by gatekeeper
For example...?

Just wondering, if, say one of us were to make a zillion consecutive passes at a dragstrip. Or maybe high-speed runs to test the speed limiter (on a closed road, or course ;-) Should we expect them to do anything of consequence with this information?
I have experienced first hand and seen video proof of OnStar calling vehicles used on the race track.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 AM

And that's exactly why I disabled mine.

I often autoX or just go to a fun night at the local strip. I don't really need them saying "Hey... we saw you were at Eddyville Raceway last night!" when something stupid and unreleated breaks on the vehicle.

09slobalt, on totally removing the box I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm curious how non-onstar'd Cobalts are wired. Do they have the harness there or not? If they do have it, I wonder if there is a GMLAN pass-thru dingus you can buy from GM to put on the black plug. Its a simple in/out pass-thru BUS so in the end its a simple matter of figuring out how to bridge those wires together properly. If it wasnt so darn tight back there maybe I could get my scope out and try to figure it out, but if a simple plug exsists for cars without onstar, that would be optimal.

The newer Corvettes also disable their OnStar by yanking everything but the black plug and I need to go read up and see if any of them have already figured all this out for us

Originally Posted by gatekeeper
For example...?
Read the usage agreement booklet. It says pretty plainly what the data acquired could potentially be used for. That also goes for the Event Data Recorder statement found in the owners manual. I wouldn't mind finding out how to disable that little treasure too if its not built into the PCM.

I'm a weirdo, I read every piece of documentation that comes with a car.

Last edited by Gimpster; 03-11-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM

And that's exactly why I disabled mine.

I often autoX or just go to a fun night at the local strip. I don't really need them saying "Hey... we saw you were at Eddyville Raceway last night!" when something stupid and unreleated breaks on the vehicle.

09slobalt, on totally removing the box I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm curious how non-onstar'd Cobalts are wired. Do they have the harness there or not? If they do have it, I wonder if there is a GMLAN pass-thru dingus you can buy from GM to put on the black plug. Its a simple in/out pass-thru BUS so in the end its a simple matter of figuring out how to bridge those wires together properly. If it wasnt so darn tight back there maybe I could get my scope out and try to figure it out, but if a simple plug exsists for cars without onstar, that would be optimal.

The newer Corvettes also disable their OnStar by yanking everything but the black plug and I need to go read up and see if any of them have already figured all this out for us

Read the usage agreement booklet. It says pretty plainly what the data acquired could potentially be used for. That also goes for the Event Data Recorder statement found in the owners manual. I wouldn't mind finding out how to disable that little treasure too if its not built into the PCM.

I'm a weirdo, I read every piece of documentation that comes with a car.
The VCIM can be bypassed, like you said its just a pass through circuit, all you need to do is loop the pairs together. Non OnStar cars dont have the harness at all. Youll set some communication codes in other modules for the VCIM not being on the network since youre unplugged but thats it.

The EDR, is a function of the SDM(Airbag) there is no way to defeat it and keep airbags.

Not sure what Vette site you look at but if you search at DigitalCorvettes youll find my info for this there as well(former supermod)

All vehicles with GMLAN have to leave the comm wires plugged in or loop them. You cant remove any module from the high speed network and have the car function.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

The VCIM can be bypassed, like you said its just a pass through circuit, all you need to do is loop the pairs together. Non OnStar cars dont have the harness at all. Youll set some communication codes in other modules for the VCIM not being on the network since youre unplugged but thats it.

The EDR, is a function of the SDM(Airbag) there is no way to defeat it and keep airbags.

Not sure what Vette site you look at but if you search at DigitalCorvettes youll find my info for this there as well(former supermod)

All vehicles with GMLAN have to leave the comm wires plugged in or loop them. You cant remove any module from the high speed network and have the car function.
What pairs or Colors do you loop
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM

So will i get a check engine light if I jumper those wires together? Will it pass emmissions with those other computers throwing codes?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 PM

If you find out how to go without the VCIM, I'll buy it from you. I need one from a 2009 SS (or other bluetooth equiped car). The one I need is part #25983683. I think its also possible that 20793555 could work. I'm having a hard time finding any of these, the junk yard I talked to said they just throw them away since nobody ever wants them.

Mavin, what does Onstar do if they catch you doing something they don't like? Do they have driving guidelines? I'm not so much worried about the warranty as being turned over to the cops for doing 120 on some back road somewhere.

Any chance you could keep the bluetooth by cutting the in-car cell phone antenna off?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke42_02
If you find out how to go without the VCIM, I'll buy it from you. I need one from a 2009 SS (or other bluetooth equiped car). The one I need is part #25983683. I think its also possible that 20793555 could work. I'm having a hard time finding any of these, the junk yard I talked to said they just throw them away since nobody ever wants them.

Mavin, what does Onstar do if they catch you doing something they don't like? Do they have driving guidelines? I'm not so much worried about the warranty as being turned over to the cops for doing 120 on some back road somewhere.

Any chance you could keep the bluetooth by cutting the in-car cell phone antenna off?
LOL you are 100% correct .. Car jackers just rip off the antenna on top of the car and drive the bitch to the chop shop...
Old 03-12-2009, 01:58 PM

The bluetooth absolutly sucked with my iPhone. I tried it a few times before disabling the box and everyone kept complaining about not being able to hear me well. Hopefully it works better with whatever phone you get.

I'd sell you my box when I remove it, but I think I better keep it around should I ever sell the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OnStar VCIM Location