Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

coolant flush for cobalt

Old 11-27-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant flush for cobalt

is it really a good idea or not?

Have had one yet but I got too, just wondering if anybody has had problems after it has been done and what could happen. Leaks at all from hoses etc etc.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 AM

unless your car is 50 years old. why do you need to flush your coolant?

its pointless to flush coolant. everyone i know that has had that done had nothing but issues afterwards. every since GM came out with this **** in their service care packages and winterizing your car its been a nightmare i wouldnt do it if i were you.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part of my job at one time was to plunk 3 tablets into the coolant system of every new car on the line
which was done to prevent leaks.
So when you flush it this product is removed and sometimes leaks occur shorly after the coolant change, .
Air stuck in the system is usually the biggest problem unless done properly and even then.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
Part of my job at one time was to plunk 3 tablets into the coolant system of every new car on the line
which was done to prevent leaks.
So when you flush it this product is removed and sometimes leaks occur shorly after the coolant change, .
Air stuck in the system is usually the biggest problem unless done properly and even then.
exactly

some of the **** your flushing out might be old grunk and grime and crap yea thats a given but sometimes....its that old grunk and grime and crap thats holding your car together. and when you flush it out now you have nothing to plug that hole you didnt know about and now you got a running faucet for a car.

coolant flushes are a headache and a waste of money. for the love off all thats sacred dont do it.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 PM

You guys are wrong. Dexcool although designed to be long lasting has a HUGE flaw in it... upon exposure to regular tap water (for top up etc) all it's lubricating and cooling properties vanish (electrolysis). A dexcool system that has been untouched will last a very very long time, I've heard even life of the vehicle, but so far my record I've seen is 7 years. So to say, your dexcool system probably will not need a flush yet, UNLESS while as a new car at the dealership it was topped off with regular tap water instead of distilled water.

Leave the flushing to the pro's with proper flush machines. Proper additive and cleansing packages should be applied before and after the flush. If you just drain and flush with water, that does more harm than good to your system. Coolant test strips will tell you perfectly the condition of your coolant.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ericgt79
unless your car is 50 years old. why do you need to flush your coolant?

its pointless to flush coolant. everyone i know that has had that done had nothing but issues afterwards. every since GM came out with this **** in their service care packages and winterizing your car its been a nightmare i wouldnt do it if i were you.
well, seeing as Cobalts are equipped with 5 year, 100,000 mile coolant, its about that time. Its probably already under protecting your motor. I have to do one on my ram, it only has 42k, but it was built in Dec of 04, so its due.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by wongafet
You guys are wrong. Dexcool although designed to be long lasting has a HUGE flaw in it... upon exposure to regular tap water (for top up etc) all it's lubricating and cooling properties vanish (electrolysis). A dexcool system that has been untouched will last a very very long time, I've heard even life of the vehicle, but so far my record I've seen is 7 years. So to say, your dexcool system probably will not need a flush yet, UNLESS while as a new car at the dealership it was topped off with regular tap water instead of distilled water.

Leave the flushing to the pro's with proper flush machines. Proper additive and cleansing packages should be applied before and after the flush. If you just drain and flush with water, that does more harm than good to your system. Coolant test strips will tell you perfectly the condition of your coolant.

best reply here. very true. if you leave your cooling system sealed and don't touch it, it will last a long time. dexcool is a very good product. it's just misunderstood. I have done hundreds of flushes and haven't ever had a problem with leaking afterwards. I also would recommend not adding anything into the system except for dexcool and water. no aftermarket additives, coolant tabs, etc... that stuff is all garbage and will break down dexcool prematurely. once dexcool starts breaking down it can be very bad for your engine and cooling system parts. electrolysis plays a big part in this problem.

If you want to flush it yourself, best thing to do is just drain out as much as you can. then add new mixed dexcool. not quite a flush, but the best you can do at home. better thing to do is get it flushed with a powerflush machine which will actually cycle out all the old coolant and keep the level perfect, etc.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree, flushing the system is fine as long as you flush the system with dexcool.

The only real reason to flush with distilled water (and distilled water only!) is if you are planning on changing the fluid to an OAT or to a non phosphate containing antifreeze (non dexcool). Changing to an OAT coolant is not a horrible task, but you should make sure the system is flushed as well as possible.

I would NEVER recommend changing to a non phosphate, glycol coolant besides an OAT. If you don't flush ALL the dexcool out of your system 100% then add a non phosphate glycol coolant the coolant will turn into sludge. The same thing happens if you add a non distilled water to dexcool. The phosphate in dexcool attaches to any impurities (minerals, additives, etc.) causing a scale/sludge buildup that will destroy your entire cooling system.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM

how do you drain coolant on a cobalt? i don't see no drain plug, is it one of those you have to unhook the actual hose to drain? but how do you fill coolant in this car? mine is a T/C just fyi.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fakameanrepresent
how do you drain coolant on a cobalt? i don't see no drain plug, is it one of those you have to unhook the actual hose to drain? but how do you fill coolant in this car? mine is a T/C just fyi.
Drain **** is on the passenger side of the radiator, at the bottom. You can drain the fluid fromt here, then add new coolant into the reservoir. This is the only way I would recommend doing a drain and fill.

There is also a drain plug on the water pump to drain the coolant from the block/turbo/head/etc., but if you drain the coolant using the water pump drain plug there is a special fill proceedure that must be followed or you can damage the motor. It isn't necessary and I would not recommend doing this unless you are doing internal engine work where you must drain all the coolant.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Drain **** is on the passenger side of the radiator, at the bottom. You can drain the fluid fromt here, then add new coolant into the reservoir. This is the only way I would recommend doing a drain and fill.

There is also a drain plug on the water pump to drain the coolant from the block/turbo/head/etc., but if you drain the coolant using the water pump drain plug there is a special fill proceedure that must be followed or you can damage the motor. It isn't necessary and I would not recommend doing this unless you are doing internal engine work where you must drain all the coolant.
is that the proper way to do it? but thanks for telling me that there is a drain **** on the passenger side. i'm planning on doing just the first method that you show me.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 PM

gonna do this soon
Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pretty sure the manual says its ok to use CLEAN tap water
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Where do I find the "under-vehicle" splash shield to locate the radiator drain plug?

I want to drain my old anti-freeze in my 2006 Chevy Cobalt, but I can't find the drain plug.

I read my Haynes Repair manual and it states I have to remove the "under-vehicle" splash shield to get to the drain plug, but I can't seem to find or locate the "under-vehicle" splash shield.

Can anyone assist me with my problem?

Thanks.

Lucky Lee
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

If you crawl under the car you will see on the front of the subframe a little hole towards the front on each side right underneath the radiator. There is no plug, but the hole on the passenger side is the drain. There is a petcock right above it.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM

How fresh coolant/water do you add after a radiator drain? 1 gallon? 2 gallons?

The owner's manual says 9.2 qt is the full capacity, so how much am I expecting to replace with a drain and refill?