2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

help on cv axle and IM shaft

Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on cv axle and IM shaft

so today i got my stage1 axles from ottp. i have a thred going on over in redline fourms. but any one im having one hell of a time getting my cv axle off my intermeidte shaft. i used a hammer, pry bar, flat head screw driver and nothing. so they were saying to get the axle pressed off the shaft. does any one else have anything to add to this. i dont know crap about tranny or anyhthing that connects to it lol. but i have done a little bit of research and it seems like mostly every one has this problem.also there wear saying my bearing could be siezed but it spins when i rotate the axle. also some one on that site said i should replace the IM shaft i really dont think so.......so what do ya think? any ideas

bump

Last edited by scotch89; 01-13-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

you should be able to just pry it off. it's got a c-clip in a recessed ring that keeps it together

i think when i took mine off i had someone pull on the end to keep steady pressure on it when i pried
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what i said to you Scotch, was remove the IM shaft from the car and press it out with an hydraulic press. I also said you will need to replace the bearing in the shaft (cheap) and hopefully not the shaft (expensive)

dont take the advice, hammer the crap out of it on the car and lets see how badly you can break your car. You got the same advice from Flatgod who just replaced the same part on his car.

Tech mod needed. Get help.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
you should be able to just pry it off. it's got a c-clip in a recessed ring that keeps it together

i think when i took mine off i had someone pull on the end to keep steady pressure on it when i pried
ok cool thanks man
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah just take the whole thing thing out and go to a shop and have them do it. me and my friend tried for hours to get his out and we couldnt. next day we took it to a shop and it took them less then 5 min to get it out
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM

you didnt get an axel puller?

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

•Tools Required
•J 45341 Rear Wheel Drive Shaft Removal Tool
•J 2619-A Slide Hammer
•J 44394 Axle Seal Protector
Removal Procedure

1.Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
2.Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
3.Remove the wheel drive shaft nut. Insert a drift (1) or a flat-bladed tool into the caliper and the rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.
4.Carefully loosen the wheel drive shaft splines from the wheel bearing/hub assembly using a wood block and a hammer. The nut can be partially reinstalled to protect the threads. Important: Be sure that the wheel speed sensor wiring harness is repositioned away from the ball joint after disconnecting the electrical connector from the sensor.
5.Disconnect the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement.
6.Separate the wheel drive shaft from the wheel bearing/hub assembly, then support the shaft assembly.
7.Assemble the J 45341 and the J-2619-A to the wheel drive shaft inner tripot housing assembly.
8.Using the J 45341 and the J-2619-A, separate the wheel drive shaft from the transaxle, then remove the shaft assembly.
9.Inspect the transaxle output shaft seal for damage and/or contamination and replace if necessary.
Installation Procedure

1.Install the J 44394 into the transaxle output shaft seal.
2.Install the wheel drive shaft into the transaxle until the drive shaft splines are past the seal, remove the J 44394, then fully install the drive shaft.
3.Verify that the wheel drive shaft is properly engaged:
•Grasp the inner tripod housing and pull the inner housing outward. Do NOT pull on the wheel drive axle shaft.
•The wheel drive shaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.

4.Install the wheel drive shaft (1) to the wheel bearing/hub assembly.
5.Connect the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Replacement. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
6.Install the wheel drive shaft nut (3) to the wheel drive shaft assembly (1).
•Tighten the nut to 210 Nm (155 ft. lbs.) .
7.Install the tire and wheel assembly.
8.Lower the vehicle.
9.Inspect the transaxle fluid level.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM

well its up and running, hamered the hell out of it. so thanks guys.