2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

WHAT happens when I unplug coolant temp sensor ? ?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT happens when I unplug coolant temp sensor ? ?

I have been having issues with my car after being trifecta tuned with it bogging badly on acceleration. It has been data-logged about 4 times and studied by Vince and he cannot find anything off on the tune but the car is hardly driveable. I been doing some crazy things to try to find this problem on my own since I have taken it to 2 garages now to find any issues with the car to no avail and my question is this ------ What is the car doing when I pull the coolant temperature sensor wire off ?(besides losing my coolant temp reading on the DIC) When I do this , the car runs like a dream !!!!! Hook it back up and the car bogs and acts up again. Disconnecting that am I sending the car into some mode that takes over air/fuel ratio on its own or something else at play here? thanks for any input!!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

my car bogs on take off same thing here i have sent Vince alot of data logs and when i turn the a/c on it stalls and at reds too. I'll have to try this
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006superchargedss
I have been having issues with my car after being trifecta tuned with it bogging badly on acceleration. It has been data-logged about 4 times and studied by Vince and he cannot find anything off on the tune but the car is hardly driveable. I been doing some crazy things to try to find this problem on my own since I have taken it to 2 garages now to find any issues with the car to no avail and my question is this ------ What is the car doing when I pull the coolant temperature sensor wire off ?(besides losing my coolant temp reading on the DIC) When I do this , the car runs like a dream !!!!! Hook it back up and the car bogs and acts up again. Disconnecting that am I sending the car into some mode that takes over air/fuel ratio on its own or something else at play here? thanks for any input!!
you car sounds lean do you have a wideband installed so you can moniter your afr
Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you unplug your coolant temp sensor. your car thinks it -40*F outside and dumps a **** ton of fuel. get a wideband on your car
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

the wrong injector setup/calculations?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM

I am not sure what is going on , Vince says the tune is right and there is something wrong with my car. I will order a wideband today but I am trying what I can to make this car work right. So far unplugging the coolant sensor temp and the o2 sensor both make the car run great , plug them back in and I can hardly get around the city here.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
With the coolant temp sensor unplugged the car never goes into closed loop. With everything plugged in, if you start the car and drive it right away (while cold) is it fine or does it always run like crap unless you unplug the coolant temp sensor?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM

check your spark plugs i had the same issue and found out my plugs were loose i just tightened them up and i was good to go
Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM

It's always running bad , cold or warm , but it does get worse as the drive goes on , sort of like the fuel trims get worse and worse. Plugs are fine , all gapped at 0.035
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM

car runs decent when its cold. When it warms up is when it starts to do this shifting around 2000rpms. The way it runs cold is the same as it ran before the trifecta tune. he ahd the same issue in March and the car was tuned in May. Not shitting on you steve but you have to get the facts your asking straighter so people can help ya out. And I am not thread jacking or anything...just adding some personal info I have since I am the tuner that put the tune on.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 PM

I don't KNOW this.. but i'm assuming the car staying in open loop if it doesn't know the ect...
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM

If you go WOT does the car seem to start accelerating fine again after a second or so or does it continue to bog badly even when WOT?

What mods do you have done to the car and are all the mods tuned for?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 PM

WOT is fine.....

Car doesnt run perfect when cold .....when you first start the car up and leave the driveway from 1st to 2nd gear there is a very small stumble......which is as bad as it ever got before the trifecta tune was put . Now , since the tune.... the car goes to hell as soon as you stop and take off again , in every gear it will throw you around in the seat as if the a/f ratio was nasty bad! I have been constantly hoping and prayin for someone to see this and say it happened to them before because no mechanics in this big city of Halifax can find a single thing wrong with my car ...... kinda sad , it just sits in the garage not being able to be driven unless you disconnect the o2 sensor or the coolant temp sensor... So again , it did have a very tiny stumble between 1st and 2nd before the trifecta tune but since the tune I cant drive my car anywheres....so since May 19th my car has only been driven to a garage to be looked at or on a highway run as its fine if u keep it at 1 speed.
MY MODS---- K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake , 2.8 Inch Pulley , 60# injectors , Vibrant Header with Cat-Delete and Magnaflow muffler , 1 step colder plugs, Stage 3 zzp H/E .

Things I have tried -- Taken the car to Raven Auto Sports in Halifax (hptuner)--he says its the tune and nothing wriong with my car.
--Taken it to Double Z Automotive in Halifax --he also says there is nothing he can do , the car appears perfect as far as sensors/engine/etc go ....he didn't exactly blame the tune like James did but said the car is perfect ....We drove around with the scantool connected for an hour and he said the long / short fuel trims are messed up and thats all he sees.
--Installed a stage 3 GM pcm into my car and we didnt do a case relearn but the car ran night and day better with that installed...back to that very minor stumble I used to have between 1st and 2nd... Also swapped o2 sensors and monitored it to make sure it works and checked the exhaust for leaks and did the smoke test ...all = 100% perfect.
I am hoping someone sees these countless threads about my car working like **** and has some idea for me to try ...I am open to anything !!! I also have cleaned the MAF sensor again , throttle body again , put the stock intake back on to see if it did anything different but it was exactly the same. Checked gap on my plugs again --- 0.035 .... checked torque on supercharger bolts....noone can find anything wrong with the car...going to soon be a month since I last enjoyed a drive in it

krautsalat tuned the car....he has seen it and how it acts and its pretty horrible for noone to be able to find anything wrong with the car...and I took it to the one guy he reccommended I take it to so it can be looked at and that guy says my problem is the tune.....even though I kept saying can't we look at other stuff , can we run other tests ...he hooked his hptuners up and said no , its the tune come by on Monday and I will fix it. Problem with this is --- I paid krautsalat $260.00 cad for the tune on the car now and raven wants $600.00 cad more to tune it and fix it....
I am still giving Vince and cole (krautsalat) the benefit of the doubt which is why I am posting all of this and asking for any ideas...is there anything on my car that I can do ?
Like I said only way it runs perfect is by pulled the o2 sensor or the coolant temp sensor and than its perfect....
thank you for any/all ideas and krautsalat you really shouldnt be thread jacking this , cuz if this turns out to be ur tune , you owe me $260.00 Monday

Last edited by 2006superchargedss; 06-08-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM

Vince is usually pretty good and I can't believe that he could miss a problem, especially after looking at it multiple times but anything is possible.

It sounds like anytime the car is in open loop everything is fine (cold, coolant or O2 disconnected, and WOT) but when it goes to closed loop it starts having this problem. Are there any DTCs being set at all?

Based on everything you have said and tried, it really sounds like an issue with the tune. If you swapped in a stage 3 PCM and everything worked fine, then it sounds like either your PCM is bad or it has to be a tuning issue. I don't suppose you know anyone that has a spare PCM that you could flash with your tune and try?

Without seeing the tune or a log it is impossible to take a guess as to what might be causing the issue if it is a tune issue.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Only DTC's that are set come when I unhook my o2 or my coolant sensor. Other than that -- nothing. And aside from whack fuel trims , nothing abnormal on the scan tool either while driving and logging the car. I do know someone with a spare pcm but not sure they will let me flash it if I have no way to set it back to factory after.....
I am not saying for sure its the tune , I am just asking around for peoples help to find out whats causing this.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM

good luck.. i hope it all works out for u...
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Only DTC's that are set come when I unhook my o2 or my coolant sensor. Other than that -- nothing. And aside from whack fuel trims , nothing abnormal on the scan tool either while driving and logging the car. I do know someone with a spare pcm but not sure they will let me flash it if I have no way to set it back to factory after.....
I am not saying for sure its the tune , I am just asking around for peoples help to find out whats causing this.
If possible, I would try the idea of using a different PCM with your flash to make sure the PCM isn't bad. I know that may not be a possiblity. If you can get someone to log the car with HPTuners and D/L the tune off the car so they can be looked at that may help as well.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Someone did hook my car to HPTuners already , James at Raven in Halifax . I am working on the pcm theory now though, thanks for the idea
Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM

ive got the same problem i think but mine vibrated at 1500rpm to 1000rpm at idle but it doesnt want to stall or anything
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Ok , I need to update this post. Last night Vince sent me another tune to put on the car and I am still awaiting an email to see what he did in it , but it fixed the bogging issue 100% with my car....idle is also perfect. It seems to have lost some power though , but I will wait on his reply to see what he did to address these isssues after I spent $200.00 having different garages try to find problems with my car and noone being able to....I will post it up in case someone else has this issue with TRIFECTA.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Mine breaks up part throttle at about 1500-1800 rpm and when it warms up it seems to do it from a stop it sucks
Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
if you unplug your coolant temp sensor. your car thinks it -40*F outside and dumps a **** ton of fuel. get a wideband on your car
incorrect, when unplugged the pcm reads very hot, since out ect sensor is of a positive temperature coefficient.(temperature goes up, resistance goes up) if you have an interceptor pull the ect plug and watch temp, it will read 67,xxx or something like that. So when this happens your pcm will add fuel to resist detonation since cylinder tempps would be alot higher. Seems like your car is running lean and when you unplug the connector the computer adds fuel and corrects your lean condition

and it may have lost power because before it was leaner, and as they say. 'leaner in meaner"

Last edited by lsjion; 06-17-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsjion
incorrect, when unplugged the pcm reads very hot, since out ect sensor is of a positive temperature coefficient.(temperature goes up, resistance goes up) if you have an interceptor pull the ect plug and watch temp, it will read 67,xxx or something like that. So when this happens your pcm will add fuel to resist detonation since cylinder tempps would be alot higher. Seems like your car is running lean and when you unplug the connector the computer adds fuel and corrects your lean condition

and it may have lost power because before it was leaner, and as they say. 'leaner in meaner"
with the coolant temp sensor unplugged, the car will go into open loop dumping fuel. one of the requirements to go into closed loop is to be above a certain coolant temperature. so the 67,000* thing doesn't quite make sense. i will try it though.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
open loop is dependent of a pre-determined temp set in the calibration, so there for it would be past that temperate of 150 i think when closed loop happens. And yes i know what needs to happen for closed loop operation
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 PM

It reads neg 40 get a scanner n look I kno the interceptor says 67,xxx but on s scan tool it reads -40

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHAT happens when I unplug coolant temp sensor ? ?