2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

SS/TC Cylinder Misfire

Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/TC Cylinder Misfire

I have a 2008 SS/TC and in for probably the past 6 months to a year the check engine light has been coming on. I've reset it with my Superchips Tuner, and the Dealer has reset the codes in attempts to figure out when it happens and what is causing it. So far, the Dealer has been useless.

The Code says: something like "Misfire on Cylinder #3" and ive noticed it seems to come on only when i start it after either some cold, or humid (rain or snow) weather. It only seems to come on at initial startup, then wont come on again till another similar startup.

The Dealer tried moving the coil packs around to see if it was a bad coil, and the misfire stayed on the same cylinder. I took it to Pike Wheaton Chev, and they were so baffled by this they said they had to talk to the engineers from GM about it... (goddamn waste of my time)

So anyway, i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a problem like this or has any idea what could be wrong.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for a leakdown test. I'm gonna bet on cracked ringlands if it's consistently cyl 3. Go do a comp AND leakdown test. When you get the leakdown done, make sure it's done by someone w/ a clue. You can tell what's leaking by listening at various points.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Possible bad injector

I assuming they changed spark plugs, check wiring

Once you get beyond that you get into serious things like internal damage.

Hell the dealership should be doing everything to fix this or it could lead to premature failure.

Do you get flashing CEL or constant
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Would there a chance that could cause a sort of Greyish smoke to come out of the tailpipe at times? It happened only once when i started it and it went away pretty quick. However I had a video of my car on the drag strip during a cobalt meet, and between shifts i noticed a small puff of grey smoke out of the tailpipe. Not sure if thats normal or if maybe thats reinforcing your theory.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

I don't know, but misfires are seeming to be more and more common among 08-10 SS drivers. I myself had a misfire code pop at the dealer on the Tech II but never popped up on my CEL. Also had a MAF code. They adjusted a few things, and as far as I know it's gone, but my car still doesn't feel right. It still chugs sometimes at lower throtle, and sometimes it goes way more than it should at the same ammount of pressure. I'd really like to get an Interceptor as I think this would help me detect these codes.

If the dealerships can't figure out how to fix their own car, then they need to give you a new one, that's just my opinion, and very unpractical, I know.. The problem comes in with you have an aftermarket tune. I have GMS1 so all my stuff is under warranty. If it continues, I'm going to continue taking it in.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Possible bad injector

I assuming they changed spark plugs, check wiring

Once you get beyond that you get into serious things like internal damage.

Hell the dealership should be doing everything to fix this or it could lead to premature failure.

Do you get flashing CEL or constant

Constant. I've never had it flash before.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Do you log knock on a regular basis? Since you tuned your car, you better be logging...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ADIDASS
I don't know, but misfires are seeming to be more and more common among 08-10 SS drivers. I myself had a misfire code pop at the dealer on the Tech II but never popped up on my CEL. Also had a MAF code. They adjusted a few things, and as far as I know it's gone, but my car still doesn't feel right. It still chugs sometimes at lower throtle, and sometimes it goes way more than it should at the same ammount of pressure. I'd really like to get an Interceptor as I think this would help me detect these codes.

If the dealerships can't figure out how to fix their own car, then they need to give you a new one, that's just my opinion, and very unpractical, I know.. The problem comes in with you have an aftermarket tune. I have GMS1 so all my stuff is under warranty. If it continues, I'm going to continue taking it in.
Yeah, I hear ya. Well I got the Superchips Cortex, its a tune i can just remove whenever i want, however Superchips has a 2 year powertrain warranty with the Cortex Tuner(i thought was pretty cool) But the point is every time i bring it to the dealer i set it back to stock, and this problem has been happening since before i did any mods whatsoever.

And I'm really getting annoyed bringing it to the dealer every time im on days off.. i work 15 day on/6 days off and 1 or 2 of my days off im carless cuz they need the whole damn day to tell me they dont know whats wrong... Its just starting to really **** me off... maybe i just need to go to another dealer haha.

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Do you log knock on a regular basis? Since you tuned your car, you better be logging...
Sorry, what do you mean Loggin knock?

Last edited by PyroSiege; 08-12-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Exactly...

No one should be chipping/tuning their car if they don't know how or can't log knock. This engine is pretty stout, and will tolerate a reasonable amount of knock, and there's plenty of warning before something goes horribly awry. Data log your car. If you can't data log with superchips, then there's something horribly wrong.

The other thing is you better damn sure know what you're doing if you're making tuning changes, or pay someone that knows to do it. There are 2 good tuners on this board that I know of, but even their responsibilities stop at some point. You must continue to data log.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM

I had the same sorta problem. Car only had less than 2000 kms, I did a NLS, the CEL began flashing then just stayed on so I pressed the Onstar button, they told me I had a misfire in Cylinder 3, so the next morning I brought it into the dealer where they cleared the light and said I had a slight mark on the boot so they ordered me a new spark plug and coil pack for that Cylinder. While I was waiting for the parts, I was told not to let me car idle for long periods of time especially with the Defrost/AC on. Also OnStar had told me that it was more of an emission thing, if the light had stayed flashing, I was told that I would need to be towed. Week later, they replaced the plug and coil and I haven't had a CEL since. Car runs like a rocket and no Civic will look at me so I'm happy .
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 PM

I had CEL coming on all the time for misfire. Not flashing, just on steady. Took the dealership about 4 times to figure out that it was the injector. And they just got lucky. They didn't know what else it could be so they replaced the injector and viola. Fixed. No problems since. Knock on wood. I'm almost willing to bet you've got the same problem. My dealership had to twist GM's arm to get them to allow the injector to be changed. I'm lucky to have a good dealership.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
i get misfire codes at startup sometimes, i catch it on dashdaq, but it doesnt turn the engine light on. at least not by the time i clear it, but what solves it for the most part is waiting till the boost guage is at -20 vac before i drive regardless what temp it is outside, ya thats right i let my car warm up before i go. lol seems to have fixed it for the most part, still get it sometimes in the hot weather outside otherwise, but i just ignore it, its been doing it for long time, under any other driveing conditions it runes fine so im not worried.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM

I have the same issue. dealership had my car for a week couldnt find an issue. noses off hard above 5500 and pops n bangs to redline.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Leverington
I have the same issue. dealership had my car for a week couldnt find an issue. noses off hard above 5500 and pops n bangs to redline.
I wanna say 'ol BYT was having this issue. Ask him what his resolution was.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor

That intake without a tune for it is problems IMO. I tuned 1 or 2 Injen CAI's and the trims were WAY off from stock!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 PM

Funny I speak on this topic and it happens again. While driving home from Detroit today, my car started to jerk and finally popped a CEL. I'm pretty sure it's a misfire again, but we will see. When they had the code the first time they didn't tell me which cylinder it was from if they even knew... so I'm taking it to another dealer and see what they say. I'll update you tomorrow or when I get more information.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PyroSiege
I have a 2008 SS/TC and in for probably the past 6 months to a year the check engine light has been coming on. I've reset it with my Superchips Tuner, and the Dealer has reset the codes in attempts to figure out when it happens and what is causing it. So far, the Dealer has been useless.

The Code says: something like "Misfire on Cylinder #3" and ive noticed it seems to come on only when i start it after either some cold, or humid (rain or snow) weather. It only seems to come on at initial startup, then wont come on again till another similar startup.

The Dealer tried moving the coil packs around to see if it was a bad coil, and the misfire stayed on the same cylinder. I took it to Pike Wheaton Chev, and they were so baffled by this they said they had to talk to the engineers from GM about it... (goddamn waste of my time)

So anyway, i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a problem like this or has any idea what could be wrong.
I had this exact problem, I took it in and Stevinson Chevy (Colorado) told me they don't know why it's doing that. They were just as confused as your dealership.

The took the spark plug cleaned it and put dielectric grease on the coils and it fixed my CEL. How ever when I start my car it idles kind of weird. It'll kind of be rough and the RPMs will vaguely bounce.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by xray_racer
I had CEL coming on all the time for misfire. Not flashing, just on steady. Took the dealership about 4 times to figure out that it was the injector. And they just got lucky. They didn't know what else it could be so they replaced the injector and viola. Fixed. No problems since. Knock on wood. I'm almost willing to bet you've got the same problem. My dealership had to twist GM's arm to get them to allow the injector to be changed. I'm lucky to have a good dealership.
Yeah no kidding, i think ill go to another dealership and tell them about this. Hopefully the can just freaking fix the goddamn problem and be done with it lol... Stupid Dealers.....

Originally Posted by vahdyx
I had this exact problem, I took it in and Stevinson Chevy (Colorado) told me they don't know why it's doing that. They were just as confused as your dealership.

The took the spark plug cleaned it and put dielectric grease on the coils and it fixed my CEL. How ever when I start my car it idles kind of weird. It'll kind of be rough and the RPMs will vaguely bounce.
Yeah dude, i dunno the problem isn't really a huge deal, but its just annoying you know? Makes me wonder if there should be some sort of recall. Seems to be happening to a decent number of people. If they can figure out what the problem is...

I put an Injen Cold Air Intake in last week, and the light hasn't come on since, however its been sporadic at best. Well see what happens in the next month or so.

Last edited by PyroSiege; 08-17-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Are you kidding me? You're car is already having problems, and you just threw on an untuned intake? You get what you ask for.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Are you kidding me? You're car is already having problems, and you just threw on an untuned intake? You get what you ask for.
Then explain to me how the light isn't coming on anymore? and I know there is an issue and the intake isn't going to change the problem.... The car isnt running bad and its still under warranty, I'll worry about it if the fricken light comes on again.

Thanks for the Advice... I'll keep what you said in mind, and take it with a grain of salt. Everyone Tells me something different. I'm doing my own experiments.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Then explain to me how the light isn't coming on anymore? and I know there is an issue and the intake isn't going to change the problem.... The car isnt running bad and its still under warranty, I'll worry about it if the fricken light comes on again.

Thanks for the Advice... I'll keep what you said in mind, and take it with a grain of salt. Everyone Tells me something different. I'm doing my own experiments.
Listen, I used to not understand these things. You need to read A LOT about these cars.

Just because there is no CEL doesn't mean your intake isn't ******* up your car.

Hell my car didn't even throw a CEL when my charge pipe came comppletley.

Your car didn't magically fix itself. You should check your LTFT and STFT and your AFRs

You should also scan for misfires
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/do-not-get-intake-unless-youre-custom-tuning-car-225160/
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor

What plugs? Mileage on them? Gap?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Leverington
My car has been doing the same thing since i had 17,000 miles on it. now i have 41,000 and it still does it. i've tried multiple things, taken it to the dealer.. etc. no fix. my fuel pump recently went out and i hoped that would solve my problem but it didn't. i've checked compression several times and it's always good. stock tune or not it doesn't matter it still misfires. It's always a misfire in cyl 4. is it possible to have good constant compression readings if my rings were cracked?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oopsitouchedmyself
My car has been doing the same thing since i had 17,000 miles on it. now i have 41,000 and it still does it. i've tried multiple things, taken it to the dealer.. etc. no fix. my fuel pump recently went out and i hoped that would solve my problem but it didn't. i've checked compression several times and it's always good. stock tune or not it doesn't matter it still misfires. It's always a misfire in cyl 4. is it possible to have good constant compression readings if my rings were cracked?
If you've been misfiring for 24K miles, it's probably not your piston. You would have seen some serious failure by now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SS/TC Cylinder Misfire