General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

to clear/reset a BCM??

Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
to clear/reset a BCM??

any suggestions?

or is this only doable via a TechII

so far I am really leaning towards buying a TechII - it seems as though it would allow me to:
clear any issues saved in either the ECM or BCM
change TPM frequencies in the BCM (but still not 100% clear on the process)

I found a person locally selling HPT for a pretty good price - but as far as I know it can only do a limited number of diagnostic/service functions, and even then, only stuff related to the ECM.

FYI the tipping over point is that right now I have a car that (if I've understood correctly) needs to have some errors/issues cleared from the BCM.

thanks for any suggestions or assistance you can offer.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you just trying to clear codes or are you trying to change settings in the BCM itself?

In either case you'll need more than a Tech 2. You'll also need a CANdi module to go with it.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Why do you need to reset the bcm. There is a vin learn functions and controls you can do using the tech 2. But if you need to reset the bcm you will need to program it and need access to gm's programing data base.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Nothin Stock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is this so the dealer cant find anything in the history if something blew?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
In either case you'll need more than a Tech 2. You'll also need a CANdi module to go with it.
thank you very much for your input.

I learnt the hard way the other week, if I post too much information, the membership here gets confused, takes my post out of context, and I get flack for it...
so today I only posted the info that matters - which happens to nicely be covered in my first post.

thanks again guys...

if anyone cares to share any more info, please post up or PM me.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
thank you very much for your input.

I learnt the hard way the other week, if I post too much information, the membership here gets confused, takes my post out of context, and I get flack for it...
so today I only posted the info that matters - which happens to nicely be covered in my first post.

thanks again guys...

if anyone cares to share any more info, please post up or PM me.
That's nice.. I'm still wondering what the hell you're up to. Purely for the reason that it may not be possible without the aforementioned access to GM's programming database.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
That's nice.. I'm still wondering what the hell you're up to. Purely for the reason that it may not be possible without the aforementioned access to GM's programming database.
pm me if you want to talk via email.

I have two friends who are GM techs, but one lives VERY out of state, and the other cannot removed the TechII from his service department.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 PM

You can program using an mdi, it's much cheaper than a tech two. You need a login and password to gm's Tis2 web.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by FRSTGRDEDROPOUT
You can program using an mdi, it's much cheaper than a tech two. You need a login and password to gm's Tis2 web.
oh?

forgive my lacking fluency in newer diagnostic tools, but is the MDI that new online diagnostic tool which is phasing the TechII into oblivion?

(from my quick search, it appears so)

Since I am neither a licenced tech, or a GM employee;
If I've understood correctly I don't think I'd be able to use one without a subscription - which I suspect I couldn't financially bear.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
oh?

forgive my lacking fluency in newer diagnostic tools, but is the MDI that new online diagnostic tool which is phasing the TechII into oblivion?

(from my quick search, it appears so)

Since I am neither a licenced tech, or a GM employee;
If I've understood correctly I don't think I'd be able to use one without a subscription - which I suspect I couldn't financially bear.
The mdi is used as the scan tool for certin 2010+models. It will eventually replace the tech two for all new vehicles. But it still programs older vehicles. You can use it to program you vehicle only, no dianostic functions. mdi cost like 700 Tech2 costs like 3000.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM

yeah, I know that the TechII is pricey... but was figuring that I should get my money's worth out of it eventually.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 PM

Hey, dude. What's going on? Yes, for you car you will need a Tech 2 and a candi to "talk" to all the modules in the car. Some cars I can get away without a candi( since one of our tech 2's does not work correctly). You will NOT be able to do much of anything with a MDI since they are mostly for global A cars(mostly 2010 and newer), you can program new modules or reprogram old modules with it, but for your needs I would say no. Shoot me some DTC's and let me know what's the problem with the other thing, I am only online between classes, two more assessments to go for the big WCT goal(world class technician). Make sure its a real tech 2 with the 32mb card and all, not saab or saturn junk, it will do you know good, and bring it down with you next time and I will update it with the newest software.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jeiler9865
Hey, dude. What's going on? Yes, for you car you will need a Tech 2 and a candi to "talk" to all the modules in the car. Some cars I can get away without a candi( since one of our tech 2's does not work correctly). You will NOT be able to do much of anything with a MDI since they are mostly for global A cars(mostly 2010 and newer), you can program new modules or reprogram old modules with it, but for your needs I would say no. Shoot me some DTC's and let me know what's the problem with the other thing, I am only online between classes, two more assessments to go for the big WCT goal(world class technician). Make sure its a real tech 2 with the 32mb card and all, not saab or saturn junk, it will do you know good, and bring it down with you next time and I will update it with the newest software.
Jason, you rock!