Recalls Chevy Cobalt recall information center

Recall #10256 New

Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall #10256 New

Went to the dealership yesterday to get my GMS1 kit installed and found a new recall was out for my 09 ss/tc cobalt

It was Recall #10256 Ignition Cylinder

They said it was to fix a binding key issue
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
recall consists of a new ignition cylinder. new design, supposed to help with binding and sticking keys.
think it's only for 09 and 10. dont totally remember. takes about 30 mins.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 PM

Guess ill have to get that done also.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM

It's for the 09 Cobalt and 08-09 Cadi CTS.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 PM

this happened to mine..while it was running lol, and its a 10
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha yup i had this happen to its for 08-2010 ss only seem to do it with the 5 speeds lol also had the ps recall done and the ic grommet recall too but hey it was all free!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Looks like I'll have to get this done once the cobalt comes out of hibernation mode, depending on if it covers 2010 models too. I think this'll be the third recall I took care of.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 AM

it covers the 2010 my buddy just had it happen to him a few weeks ago he called me all scared and **** i just laughed and said take it to the dealer buddy sorry
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM

ye i fucked up than i used the older design lock cylinders when i replaced it, looks like ill be doing it again soon lol
Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 AM

why did you replace? its a dealer warranty
Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 AM

exactly got paid to do it too lol i work at one, but i think there is 3 diff designs and we had the **** one in stock hah
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 AM

You can look here for the actual recall info. I copied it from GMGlobalconnect.com (used to be GMDealerworld). Document ID: 2552146

Here's a pic of how the new design cylinder should look like. It's quite a bit different from the original. The original has all tumblers and springs on one side with a retainer holding it all in. This design has half the tumbers on one side and the other half on the other. It uses the sleeve to hold them in.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

i call the dealer and they said theywon't do it bacause its not a recall, just a bulletin.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM

well its a customer satisfaction deal, and its not for 10
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10256: Customer Satisfaction - Ignition Lock Cylinder-Replace Ignition Lock Cylinder - (Dec 14, 2010)

Subject: 10256 - Ignition Lock Cylinder Binding - Replace Ignition Lock Cylinder

Models: 2008-2009 Cadillac CTS without Easy Key

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

2009 Pontiac G5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to part availability, customer involved in this program will be contacted in phases.

**********THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL JANUARY 31, 2013.**********

Condition
Certain 2008 and 2009 model year Cadillac CTS vehicles without Easy Key feature, and 2009 model year Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles may develop a binding condition between the ignition lock cylinder and the housing. If this occurs, the driver may not be able to remove the key from the ignition. If the vehicle is running, the driver may not be able to turn the vehicle off.

Correction
Dealers are to replace the ignition lock cylinder.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2008 and 2009 model year Cadillac CTS vehicles without Easy Key feature, and 2009 model year Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles.

All involved vehicles are identified by VIN in the Global Warranty Management System - Investigate Vehicle History (GMVIS2) Application. Dealership technicians should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is essential to routinely verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
Description
Qty/ Vehicle

Cylinder Kit, Ign Lk

Service Procedure
Remove the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement in SI.
Note: For ignition lock cylinder assembly and coding, use the instructions provided with the new cylinder. Refer to Corporate Bulletin 10-00-89-009 (USA) or 10-00-89-010 (Canada) for key code security guidelines and key code access information. GMODC locations should contact their local TAC. To properly seat the new ignition lock cylinder into the housing, the key must be inserted and turned to the RUN position.

Install a new ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement in SI.
Customer Reimbursement - For US
All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important: (For GM Only) Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export
Customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the condition are to be submitted to the dealers by January 31, 2012.

All reasonable customer paid receipts should be considered for reimbursement. The amount to be reimbursed will be limited to the amount the repair would have cost if completed by an authorized General Motors dealer.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

• Proof of ownership at time of repair.

• Original paid receipt confirming the amount of repair expense(s) that were not reimbursed, a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

Claims for customer reimbursement on previously paid repairs are to be submitted as required by GWM.

Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement verification.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Code
Description
Labor Time
Net Item

V2352
Install New Ignition Lock Cylinder
N/A

V2353
Customer Reimbursement (not for use by US dealers)

* The amount identified in "Net Item" should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

Customer Notification - For US and Canada
General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification - For Export
Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Program Responsibility
All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through January 31, 2013.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through January 31, 2013, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Dear General Motors Customer:

We have learned that your 2008 or 2009 model year Cadillac CTS vehicle or your 2009 model year Chevrolet Cobalt or Pontiac G5 vehicle may develop a binding condition between the ignition lock cylinder and the housing. If this occurs, you may not be able to remove the key from the ignition. If the vehicle is running, you may not be able to turn the vehicle off.

Your satisfaction with your 2008 or 2009 model year Cadillac CTS vehicle, or 2009 model year Chevrolet Cobalt or Pontiac G5 vehicle is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will replace the ignition lock cylinder. This service will be performed for you at no charge until January 31, 2013 .

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your dealer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date. Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for this condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by January 31, 2012. Even though you may have already had this condition corrected, you will still need to take your vehicle to your dealer for additional repairs.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Cadillac
1-866-982-2339
1-800-833-2622

Chevrolet
1-800-630-2438
1-800-833-2438

Pontiac
1-800-620-7668
1-800-833-7668

Guam
1-671-648-8450

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Espańol
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your GM vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by bozy
well its a customer satisfaction deal, and its not for 10
haha well your dealer sucks and mine just likes me lol and they did it for my buddys 2010
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM

well ye we have to do it on other years also, but only once its actually broke lol
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sub'd
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Smile They did mine ...

When I had them fix the Stage 1 wiring issue. I did not know about it, and had not had any problems, but what the hey - they got paid for something while they they did a warranty job.

Britt
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
i got a letter for this.i have a 09g5 gt
Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
my key was stuck in the ignition and the car was stuck on

My local dealer told me there was no recall for this but they were willing to repair it under warranty even though I am out of warranty already.

I plan to show them the document so that they know for future customers. Also I wanna know if they are installing the new ignition cylinder or the old one again :/
Old 02-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
my key was stuck in the ignition and the car was stuck on

My local dealer told me there was no recall for this but they were willing to repair it under warranty even though I am out of warranty already.

I plan to show them the document so that they know for future customers. Also I wanna know if they are installing the new ignition cylinder or the old one again :/
Not sure which is worse it getting stuck in the run position or in the off position LOL. My 2005 GTO got the key stuck in the off position and it was an automatic so I could not even get it out of park to get it up on a flat bed so they had to tow it to the dealer using a wheel lift tow truck. Car sat outside my work for two days before they found a wheel lift tow truck which was annoying to say the least. At least you could drive yours to the dealer LOL.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
They installed the old ignition.... the part number doesnt match the one listed on the document in this thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM

I had already had this problem with both of my Balts. I received a letter stating that I need to bring it back in even though they fixed it already.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 AM

funny thing is this happened to my 06 a couple of years ago. the key would not pull out like it was clamped down tight. i didn't have to pay for the replacement parts only the $100 service charge. gm makes me wonder sometimes. i'm really wondering now how many other late model coablts like mine have had this issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recall #10256 New