08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

hahn catted downpipe legal in CA?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahn catted downpipe legal in CA?

im moving to los angeles in a month and im taking my car.

im pretty sure my intake is legal in CA, but does anyone have any idea if the hahn catted downpipes for ss/tc cobalt's is legal in CA? I'd really really really really hate to have to switch it out :-(
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by menace066

im pretty sure my intake is legal in CA, but does anyone have any idea if the hahn catted downpipes for ss/tc cobalt's is legal in CA? I'd really really really really hate to have to switch it out :-(
ive never heard of any catted downpipes being illegal. aslong as it has a cat it will pass emissions... atleast thats what ive understood. dont think im wrong but im not 100 percent positive.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM
OBZ

Not sure on the dp but your intake IS illegal in CA its only 49 state legal.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everything is illegal in california
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
haha i guess so.. an intake is illegal? ha why? watever. haha. but ii think ud be ok with the dp. but idk so dont listen to me ahaha.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM

For any aftermarket performance part to be acceptable to the Califormia *****, it must be CARB legal. I doubt you'll find any downpipe that is CARB legal. Dunno about the intake, might wanna contact the manufacturer and ask them.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep your car registered in your home state as. Long as you can. Most states allow atleast 2 year registration. Then don't worry about it
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM

****... yea so is there anyway to get around CARBs shitty standards? aka knowing someone who works at an emissions place?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM

sell your intake and then go and get a weed card. hippies...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by joshcsepegi
Keep your car registered in your home state as. Long as you can. Most states allow atleast 2 year registration. Then don't worry about it
How can i keep it registered in MA, if my address is in CA?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM

o and another question, if i get my inspection sticker here in MA this April, will I need to get another inspection in CA when i register my car there?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by kikal8
haha i guess so.. an intake is illegal? ha why? watever. haha. but ii think ud be ok with the dp. but idk so dont listen to me ahaha.
to be honest, cops are really lenient about mods. As long as you're not ******* around and driving like a total douche (wreckless) they wont pull you over just cause exhaust or anything.

I got pulled over once for tints and front plate. The cop just wanted to talk to me about my car and asked how it was and if I tracked. (him and is son track so it was pretty cool)
just gave me fix it ticket for the plates and let my tints go. Oh and He didnt care that I had a catless downpipe. He smelled it from a mile away as he said lol
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fastgti69
to be honest, cops are really lenient about mods. As long as you're not ******* around and driving like a total douche (wreckless) they wont pull you over just cause exhaust or anything.

I got pulled over once for tints and front plate. The cop just wanted to talk to me about my car and asked how it was and if I tracked. (him and is son track so it was pretty cool)
just gave me fix it ticket for the plates and let my tints go. Oh and He didnt care that I had a catless downpipe. He smelled it from a mile away as he said lol
so what do you do come inspection time? swap in a catted downpipe? what about emissions check?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM

I have one and live in Ca.
Car will pass Smog, they changed the Smog Cert so that there's no visual...only OBD. It will pass with high flow cat on. Also, with an 09, you won't have to smog the car until 2014...pretty sure of that. As far as *being stopped*..no worries...you really can't tell what's in there and the sound is mellow too. Don't worry 'bout it!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 PM

i have catless dp k&n dropin and catback exhaust and when i do have to get smogged ill prob have to swap out my downpipe thats why i keep my stock parts and the k&n intake isnt legal in any states as far as i know only aem otherwise id already have the k&n on my car lol
Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Nothin Stock

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
this, yeah sell the intake to me if its k&n lol
Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM

NO more sniffer in 2013! All TCs in Ca will be exempt until then! There is a *visual*, but they're NOT gonna crawl under the car to inspect a CAT that appears to be there already (on catted DPs). For those with all the bolt ons...it *could be more dicy*..depending on inspector. I don't have any up on top and don't intend to...just my personal decision here.

AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law effective 01/01/2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello California folks,

To some of you, this might be of any concern, but I am just posting this for your information only.
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:
A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by ronn
I have one and live in Ca.
Car will pass Smog, they changed the Smog Cert so that there's no visual...only OBD. It will pass with high flow cat on. Also, with an 09, you won't have to smog the car until 2014...pretty sure of that. As far as *being stopped*..no worries...you really can't tell what's in there and the sound is mellow too. Don't worry 'bout it!
x2 you dont have to worry about it till 2014. Keep your stock downpipe, put it on for smog and switch after.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
has to be c.a.r.b. approved, and it's not.

Modifying the exhaust in any way is technically illegal here. GM Performance exhausts are technically the only legal ones because they can be considered "OEM"
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
LOL says the canadians hahaha. I think I saw a cop smokin a joint when I was in Whistler last year.

Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt
i have catless dp k&n dropin and catback exhaust and when i do have to get smogged ill prob have to swap out my downpipe thats why i keep my stock parts and the k&n intake isnt legal in any states as far as i know only aem otherwise id already have the k&n on my car lol
Haha I think we were talking about this BS when we were putting on your tow hook... Damn smog emissions... I fell like I live in a state controlled by communists... Oh yea thats Right I do... FML
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Technically it's illegal to have an aftermarket high-flow cat on the car. If the vehicle is still under emission systems warranty the only approved catalytic converter is the stock OEM unit. After this point you can use a California Air Resource Board (CARB) approved, "OBD-II certified" cat specifically certified for your specific vehicle that has its own CARB EO (Executive Order) certification number. You will probably find that none of the high-flow cats will be approved. Whether it actually passes or not depends on factors such as if the tech does a visual, the state of tune of the car, and the converter's age. Likewise unless your intake has a CARB EO number and was tested and certified for sale and use in California for your model and year of car it is also technically illegal.

I just checked the K&N web site and the K&N #69-4518TTK intake for the Cobalt SS Turbo is not 50-state legal and doesn't have a CARB EO approval for the '08 or '09 cars. Looking at your signature I also see you have aftermarket charge pipe which will also fail visual inspection along with your side exit exhaust. If your aftermarket tune causes any visible or suppressed codes or modifies anything the built-in OBD-II readiness monitors require to perform their system self-tests you'd also run into issues. Right now you can pass with one readiness monitor in the not-ready state (i.e. OBD-II system self-check tests such as catalytic converter efficiency, evaporative emissions systems, O2 sensor heater, etc.) and next year the law changes and you can have no monitors in the not-ready state.

If you're moving to California and bringing in a vehicle from out of state you'll be required to pass the current smog test which for the LA area should fall under an "Enhanced" test region due to worse air quality in those areas. That means you'll have to pass a visual inspection, built-in OBD-II systems check to make sure the readiness monitors have set and there are no codes, probably have the gas cap test, and in most Enhanced areas a tailpipe emissions test while the car is on a loading dynamometer.

As for trying to keep the registration out of state, unless you're non-resident military you're required by law to have a California license and registration shortly after taking residency. If you work have here, pay taxes here, vote here, and/or live here most of the year you're assumed to have taken residency. The fines are pretty big if you get stopped and admit to being a resident but not switching over license and/or registration. If you keep your license out of state along with the registration and the insurance mailing address you might be able to pull it off for a while but it's something to keep in mind. If you end up getting a California license and aren't non-resident military you can expect to be ticketed by having out of state registration if you're stopped. Also be aware that some areas are actively seeking out and tracking out of state registration. The DMV like the state is hurting for money and they want to get it any way they can.

Just a few things to consider and keep in mind as it might save some trouble (and money) down the road. Last, whatever you do make sure to keep all the stock part that came off your car. You might be able to pass with some modifications but in case you get sent to a state smog referee inspection after being stopped or if the laws change or your car fails a biennial inspection down the road you'll want to have them.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird
Technically it's illegal to have an aftermarket high-flow cat on the car. If the vehicle is still under emission systems warranty the only approved catalytic converter is the stock OEM unit. After this point you can use a California Air Resource Board (CARB) approved, "OBD-II certified" cat specifically certified for your specific vehicle that has its own CARB EO (Executive Order) certification number. You will probably find that none of the high-flow cats will be approved. Whether it actually passes or not depends on factors such as if the tech does a visual, the state of tune of the car, and the converter's age. Likewise unless your intake has a CARB EO number and was tested and certified for sale and use in California for your model and year of car it is also technically illegal.

I just checked the K&N web site and the K&N #69-4518TTK intake for the Cobalt SS Turbo is not 50-state legal and doesn't have a CARB EO approval for the '08 or '09 cars. Looking at your signature I also see you have aftermarket charge pipe which will also fail visual inspection along with your side exit exhaust. If your aftermarket tune causes any visible or suppressed codes or modifies anything the built-in OBD-II readiness monitors require to perform their system self-tests you'd also run into issues. Right now you can pass with one readiness monitor in the not-ready state (i.e. OBD-II system self-check tests such as catalytic converter efficiency, evaporative emissions systems, O2 sensor heater, etc.) and next year the law changes and you can have no monitors in the not-ready state.

If you're moving to California and bringing in a vehicle from out of state you'll be required to pass the current smog test which for the LA area should fall under an "Enhanced" test region due to worse air quality in those areas. That means you'll have to pass a visual inspection, built-in OBD-II systems check to make sure the readiness monitors have set and there are no codes, probably have the gas cap test, and in most Enhanced areas a tailpipe emissions test while the car is on a loading dynamometer.

As for trying to keep the registration out of state, unless you're non-resident military you're required by law to have a California license and registration shortly after taking residency. If you work have here, pay taxes here, vote here, and/or live here most of the year you're assumed to have taken residency. The fines are pretty big if you get stopped and admit to being a resident but not switching over license and/or registration. If you keep your license out of state along with the registration and the insurance mailing address you might be able to pull it off for a while but it's something to keep in mind. If you end up getting a California license and aren't non-resident military you can expect to be ticketed by having out of state registration if you're stopped. Also be aware that some areas are actively seeking out and tracking out of state registration. The DMV like the state is hurting for money and they want to get it any way they can.

Just a few things to consider and keep in mind as it might save some trouble (and money) down the road. Last, whatever you do make sure to keep all the stock part that came off your car. You might be able to pass with some modifications but in case you get sent to a state smog referee inspection after being stopped or if the laws change or your car fails a biennial inspection down the road you'll want to have them.
So basically, if I want to pass a smog check and inspection, I'll need to put the stock intake back on, the stock charge pipes back on and put on a stock looking exhaust?

I mean in your experience, is there any chance they'll ignore the side exit and the charge pipes? I'm figuring the intake is an absolute must to switch back to stock.

In all actuality, the k&n intake isn't even legal in MA (where I live now), but inspections around here aren't super strict.

Honestly, I guess not being from CA, I don't get it. Why would my charge pipes be such a huge issue, and the same with the intake? What difference, mechanically, is this making to my car that I am apparently spitting out huge chunks of pollution?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
GRABBER BLUE MUSTANG GT

thanks god I live in florida!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM

So basically, if I want to pass a smog check and inspection, I'll need to put the stock intake back on, the stock charge pipes back on and put on a stock looking exhaust?

I mean in your experience, is there any chance they'll ignore the side exit and the charge pipes? I'm figuring the intake is an absolute must to switch back to stock.

In all actuality, the k&n intake isn't even legal in MA (where I live now), but inspections around here aren't super strict.

Honestly, I guess not being from CA, I don't get it. Why would my charge pipes be such a huge issue, and the same with the intake? What difference, mechanically, is this making to my car that I am apparently spitting out huge chunks of pollution?
I would find a *friendly* smog guy who will cut you slack on the visual. You should pass the sniffer/obd no problem. I can tell you if they're not familiar with the Cobalt, they won't see the aftermarket DP..besides..you have a visible cat on it! I've been to many Ca smogs with moded exhaust and cats (on other cars) and I've NEVER had a prolbem with the visual. The ONLY thing that's gonna catch their eye are the pipes/ intake. Having said that, I have passed with short rams/intakes as well! The thing that fails you is the sniffer AND hidden *flags* on the OBD. There is a LIMIT as to the # of those you're allowed (I think it's 2). Those are registered *events* stored in the OBD that have NOT triggered CELS. They will be deleted automatically UNLESS you have an ongoing problem so don't worry. You can have them run the car to see if you will pass (and catch hidden flags) BEFORE the info is sent in...DO THAT! It's usually FREE.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM

keep ur car registered in ur current state for a while. have it under a family members name. that be tricky tho too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hahn catted downpipe legal in CA?