2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

svc tire monitor

Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
svc tire monitor

Just bought a 08 ss turbo and today the SVC tire monitor came on on the dash....What does this mean and will this hurt anything....Thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

My car has randomly throw SVC tire monitor lights since it was new . Sometimes it will show 0 and other times a -- . The light goes out after a few miles so I haven't worried about taking it in .

The thing has cried wolf so many times that I never believe it anymore ....kinda sucks cause it's bound to be right someday lol
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When a customer comments on a condition related to tire pressure monitoring, it is very important to distinguish between Check Tire Pressure / Low Tire Pressure conditions and Service Tire Monitor system issues. Understanding the difference between the two distinct conditions will help you distinguish between normal system operation (tire needs air) and a system malfunction.

There are two important differences between a Check Tire Pressure / Low Tire Pressure message/light and a Service Tire Monitor message light:
• A Check Tire Pressure / Low Tire Pressure message/light will stay on solid and no system codes are set. The TPM system is operating as designed. Correcting the tire pressure will resolve the issue.
• A Service Tire Monitor message/light will blink and system codes WILL set. There is a condition that should be diagnosed and corrected.

Service Tire Monitor System (light blinks, then stays on)
The Tire Pressure Light will blink for about one minute and a Service Tire Monitor message will be displayed when a system malfunction occurs. For example: If one or more tire pressure sensors does not transmit information for 18 minutes of driving, the TPM system WILL set a code, display a message, and BLINK the light for about a minute, after which the light will stay on solid for the remainder of the ignition cycle. If the system fault is intermittent, the message/light may also be intermittent – on during some ignition cycles, off during others.

__________________________________________________ ______

Try recalibrating the TPM system and see if it corrects your problem. If not, then you have a bad sensor(s) and the relearn will let you know which one(s)...
Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i've had one sensor replaced. i've had that message come up again a few times last week. each time it reset itself after the car was turned off. haven't seen it in a few days. it can be annoying. it's the sensors. they're crappy at times. you won't hurt anything.. you'll just be annoyed.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
i've had one sensor replaced. i've had that message come up again a few times last week. each time it reset itself after the car was turned off. haven't seen it in a few days. it can be annoying. it's the sensors. they're crappy at times. you won't hurt anything.. you'll just be annoyed.
This, mine's done it at random for over a year now, I asked the dealer to replace it, they didn't, next time it does I'm taking a picture of it, but I'm sure they'll just do it again. TPMS are more of a pain in the ass than their worth imo, but take them out and the ******* car dings at you every time you start it (I don't have them in my winters).
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM

i hear ya... worst option even... i'd like to shoot the guy that invented them and **** on his grave
Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
i hear ya... worst option even... i'd like to shoot the guy that invented them and **** on his grave
The worst part, I think the mandate is all vehicles be equipped with them in 2012, at least 2012 rings a bell. Perfect, more **** to fix when it breaks .
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
The worst part, I think the mandate is all vehicles be equipped with them in 2012, at least 2012 rings a bell. Perfect, more **** to fix when it breaks .
i think im going to throw up lol
Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Ok thanks guys....How do you recalibrate the TPM system......If a sensor is bad can i replace it myself?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by doug11
Ok thanks guys....How do you recalibrate the TPM system......If a sensor is bad can i replace it myself?
i never recalibrate mine... it was done once when i swapped to a new set of tires. other than that dunno. not sure how easy it is to install yourself. i think it's built into the valve stem so it wouldn't be something you can do in your driveway..
Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 AM

i just tried recalibrating the system like it tells u in the book and now all four tires are not reading anything lol
Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine says the service tire monitor every now and again too its a pain in the d!ck but im too lazy to take it in to be replaced, most likely they will replace it and it won't work right anyway
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by doug11
i just tried recalibrating the system like it tells u in the book and now all four tires are not reading anything lol
It went front driver, front passenger, rear passenger, rear driver right? If it did and it's not picking up any of them, I guess try again, that's strange I've never had that problem .
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Permafried-
It went front driver, front passenger, rear passenger, rear driver right? If it did and it's not picking up any of them, I guess try again, that's strange I've never had that problem .
I've seen a few w/ botched personal recals that had the service tpms light on. I got one of these off the tool truck for $40...

Katech TPMS relearn tool -- Katech Performance Online Store

Takes me 30 seconds to recalibrate the system for customers...
Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Problems since new and GM can't fix it.

I've had service tire pressure warning light come on since new. I've taken it many times to Chevy dealer to fix. Last time, one week ago, light went on 20 miles after picking it up from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Edubs
When a customer comments on a condition related to tire pressure monitoring, it is very important to distinguish between Check Tire Pressure / Low Tire Pressure conditions and Service Tire Monitor system issues. Understanding the difference between the two distinct conditions will help you distinguish between normal system operation (tire needs air) and a system malfunction.

There are two important differences between a Check Tire Pressure / Low Tire Pressure message/light and a Service Tire Monitor message light:
• A Check Tire Pressure / Low Tire Pressure message/light will stay on solid and no system codes are set. The TPM system is operating as designed. Correcting the tire pressure will resolve the issue.
• A Service Tire Monitor message/light will blink and system codes WILL set. There is a condition that should be diagnosed and corrected.

Service Tire Monitor System (light blinks, then stays on)
The Tire Pressure Light will blink for about one minute and a Service Tire Monitor message will be displayed when a system malfunction occurs. For example: If one or more tire pressure sensors does not transmit information for 18 minutes of driving, the TPM system WILL set a code, display a message, and BLINK the light for about a minute, after which the light will stay on solid for the remainder of the ignition cycle. If the system fault is intermittent, the message/light may also be intermittent – on during some ignition cycles, off during others.

__________________________________________________ ______

Try recalibrating the TPM system and see if it corrects your problem. If not, then you have a bad sensor(s) and the relearn will let you know which one(s)...
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Mine was happening almost weekly, hasn't happened in a couple months.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had it come on twice on different tires, both times i was on the highway and it was kinda cold out.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just reset it...
Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM

I got new wheels and that bitch is on every time I turn the car on! So annoying!!!! Is the only way to get it recalibrated properly by going to the dealer? Or is there an easy way to do it yourself?