Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

? about the power tap under the hood

Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about the power tap under the hood

Stupid question: If I have the car off/key out of the ignition can I touch the power tap in where the fuse box is without getting shocked or do I need to disconnect the battery in the trunk first?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you wont get shocked.you can grab positive and negative and will not get shocked.its 12 volts,not 110.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM

Ok I was going to tap into that power source under the hood near the fuse box for my headlights. Just didn't know if I needed to disconnect the battery to do it first. Do you happen to know what size socket to get that power connector off?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM

I would still take off the battery terminal just so you don't blow any fuses in the process. Better to be safe than sorry. I've blown fuses on a bunch of cars just doing silly stuff
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1LowLS
you wont get shocked.you can grab positive and negative and will not get shocked.its 12 volts,not 110.
What you meant to say is:

It's DC, not AC.

Also, you can still get shocked by 12VDC, and trust me- with as much aperage that's coming out of a car battery- I would MUCH rather be shocked by 110VAC.

When you're working with electricity no matter the voltage/ AC/DC you should always turn the power off and safely discharge the lines.

Not saying this always happens, but it's good practice.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Defenatlly unhook your battery before you do any electrical work on your car.

As far as being shocked by a car, Holy mother mary of god i'd much rather be shocked by common houshold 110v. It hurt like a motherfacker and I thought my heart was skipping beats .
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Shock me with DC over AC please.

One can kill you, the other not so much.

Thomas Edison vs Nikola Tesla
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM

DC can kill you, AC not so much. not enough amperage to kill you but you'll definitely feel it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
DC can kill you, AC not so much. not enough amperage to kill you but you'll definitely feel it.
Ha ha, pic up a book some time lol.

Ever heard of this thing called the electric chair?

I think it killed someone once...
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by nutty21

HAHA... and how much amperage do you think is going through the wires on that chair?

A stun gun won't (normally) kill you and it pumps out hundreds of thousands of volts AC... but very very little amperage.

Learn your ****, bro. kthxbai
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by wjsigo
HAHA... and how much amperage do you think is going through the wires on that chair?

A stun gun won't (normally) kill you and it pumps out hundreds of thousands of volts AC... but very very little amperage.

Learn your ****, bro. kthxbai
Ok you said AC won't kill, but then your comeback is amperage???

I said AC vs DC....

Now I see why you didn't pick up a book. You can't read...

Last edited by nutty21; 10-18-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Amperage kills, not voltage. Either can toast you.

Car 12v systems are not gonna hurt you at all. Ignition systems are another animal, they can pop you pretty good.

To actually answer your question, that power terminal on the fuse box is hot at all times, it's hooked directly to the battery and always has power.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1

Car 12v systems are not gonna hurt you at all. Ignition systems are another animal, they can pop you pretty good.

To actually answer your question, that power terminal on the fuse box is hot at all times, it's hooked directly to the battery and always has power.
Go learn up on Ohm's law, then will talk.

Low voltage isn't going to kill you.
Your body has enough resistance that you can't get enough amps running through...

Last edited by nutty21; 10-18-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1

Well I touched it, well actually used my socket to take it off today without disconnecting the battery first. Didn't get shocked thank god. I know a car battery can't kill you but I heard it doesn't feel very good though.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:33 PM

really, i think your the one who needs to go back and re-read a few books.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 09PitchBlackSS
Well I touched it, well actually used my socket to take it off today without disconnecting the battery first. Didn't get shocked thank god. I know a car battery can't kill you but I heard it doesn't feel very good though.
and just because something is live doesn't mean its going to shock you, but ground yourself out while touching it and you will get shocked. also differen't types of metals don't alway conduct electricity.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM

remind me to never ask you guys for electrical advise when a prius comes in the shop for service
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM

When I got shocked by my wifes car I had my hand on the spark plug and the woman thought I said crank it! Freekin felt like nothing i've ever felt before, dropped me to my knees. Needless to say she went inside soon after that.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 AM

Lol at this thread...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Ok you said AC won't kill, but then your comeback is amperage???

I said AC vs DC....

Now I see why you didn't pick up a book. You can't read...
Hey you dumbshit I didn't say AC won't kill you. I said (for instance) a stun gun won't NORMALLY kill you as it has little amperage.

You take things way out of context and twist them around to make others think you know something. You're a tool.

I also didn't say 12VDC from a car battery WOULD kill someone- but it sure would burn/hurt like a bitch if someone got shocked by it in the right/wrong way.

I've been shocked by DC and AC at multiple voltages and amperages because of carelessness. I know which one I'd rather take and which one I wouldn't. They can both be lethal, and they can both be relatively harmless. It all just depends.

The point of my post was to tell OP and anyone else reading the thread to make sure the line is dead before touching it.

OP: Disconnect the battery before doing electrical work. /thread.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM

ugh i remember when i was doing some electrical work with live wires (12VDC), forgot they were live, both wires touched my hand and they were close together ended up having a few burn marks on my hand.

and i don't know about you guys but i would rather get shocked with AC then DC. and i don't want to even get into 220V AC either aka dryer plug in. you only do that one once lol
Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
ugh i remember when i was doing some electrical work with live wires (12VDC), forgot they were live, both wires touched my hand and they were close together ended up having a few burn marks on my hand.

and i don't know about you guys but i would rather get shocked with AC then DC. and i don't want to even get into 220V AC either aka dryer plug in. you only do that one once lol

Well... 220VAC is still just 110 for each leg.

The one I always roll my eyes about at work is when testing missiles- the test sets run on 110VAC @ 400Hz. The kids are always like OHH NOOOEESSSS don't touch the wires it's 400Hz!!! Hahaha noobs
Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM

hahahaha. oh man the 220vac was definitely like omg i can see dead people shock. didn't even mean to do it either, was unplugging the dryer because we were moving and accidentally touch both the prongs and it used me as a ground. don't recommend that one to anyone.

shock dog collars are funny to screw around with when your drunk just saying lol
Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by wjsigo
Hey you dumbshit I didn't say AC won't kill you. I said (for instance) a stun gun won't NORMALLY kill you as it has little amperage.

You take things way out of context and twist them around to make others think you know something. You're a tool.

I also didn't say 12VDC from a car battery WOULD kill someone- but it sure would burn/hurt like a bitch if someone got shocked by it in the right/wrong way.

I've been shocked by DC and AC at multiple voltages and amperages because of carelessness. I know which one I'd rather take and which one I wouldn't. They can both be lethal, and they can both be relatively harmless. It all just depends.

The point of my post was to tell OP and anyone else reading the thread to make sure the line is dead before touching it.

OP: Disconnect the battery before doing electrical work. /thread.

Listen kid.

First, I'll admit I was wrong and wrote back quick thinking you were outtamymind, who did say just before you AC won't kill you.

Secondly the OP IS refereeing to a 12V car battery.

Thirdly I'm a 31 year old engineer, and my degrees say I may know a little something about the matter...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM

no need to get all bitchy about the matter, there's a nice way to correct someone about something. you sir did not do it very nicely coming off as a *****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ? about the power tap under the hood