2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Psi Fi Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Psi Fi Kit Installed

Finished installing the PsiFi kit last night. Install took about 3 1/2 hours. For anybody planning on doing this kit.... GET THE ZZPERFORMANCE PULLER TOOL.... Trust me its a pain in the ass with out... Probably impossible... I was just lucky to have access to shop tools and a little (stressing a little) know how. Idler/Tensioner Pulley was very easy... If you have any experience soldering the wiring was a piece of cake... Found that the instructions kind of sucked... Pics were not the greatest... Seemed kind of vague as well... Managed to figure them out ... I mean they weren't horrible, just a little confusing... IE First step is to disconnect the battery, Doesnt tell you where it is cause its not under the hood (In the trunk for those who dont know)... Plainly says to pull belt off of the pulleys, Well if you dont know how to operate the tension mechanism thats a little difficult... BUT I suppose that they aren't expecting someone with no experience with car to be installing the kit... List of tools needed attached would have been useful.. (Pulley Puller, 10mm wrench, 6mm allen, T30, T50 Torx etc)... Overall the instructions were very useable, Not trying to criticize just pointing out where improvment might be made .

Anyways for the results !
I almost had a heart attack at first.... First drive after install the engine bogged BADLY from 3000-5000rpm.... Didnt feel like it was running strong at all.... So I drove it back home and rechecked the whole install and everything looked good. Then I got to thinking maybe it was reacting badly to the weather... The first time I took it out it was about 105F.. So I waited a couple hours and drove it again and the outside temp was about 95F... This time it felt stronger then before but still bogged from 3500-4500... So I drove it home... TRIPLE checked the whole install and it all looked good... Pretty frustrated, tired, and worried I just left the car until this morning... I drove it to work this morning and the dead spot during accelerating was gone and the car felt really good... slightly faster then stock... Drove it about 10miles on lunch... Then drove it home tonight... Drive home the car felt GREAT.... Engine running great... Low end feels MUCH stronger... mid and upper end feel significantly stronger... Im very happy despite the early scare.... I think the PCM was just adjusting fuel mixtures with the new stuff installed... Maybe somebody from PsiFi or Ray has some insite into this ?

Overall Im very happy with the kit... Cant wait to get some more miles under it and see how it does... I tryed getting it on the dyno today but they were packed... Should be able to get squeezed in Monday or Tuesday... I will post dyno results... Gonna try and do 2 4th gear pulls and 2 3rd gear pulls... Also going to have the AF monitored...

Anyways I just wanted to thank PsiFi for developing the kit.... and Ray at Revitup.... Ray was great to deal with, very nice, answered all the questions I had... Anybody looking to get the kit talk to Ray !

Yay... Ive been Psi Fi'd
Old 09-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know when your gonna dyno it? can't wait to see the #'s
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
you know when your gonna dyno it? can't wait to see the #'s
Monday or Tuesday.... They are REALLY busy now for some reason but I know a couple of guys over there and hopefully will get squeezed in...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

def looking foreward to the results, whats included in the kit?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by silverSS
def looking foreward to the results, whats included in the kit?
2.8' supercharger pulley, Larger idler pulley, and Powerpaq piggy back unit..
Oh ya some zip ties as well... Was hoping for a PsiFi sticker too ! But alas no sticker
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 PM

Thumbs up

couple quesitons!

Did you or Rey install this if so it says your from Arizona, Ray is in Philly,PA

and with just an intake you got these numbers if so you may be 260-270 hp with PSI kit

AEM Prototype CAI
223.6hp@6300rpm 199.4ftlbs@4900rpm
Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by cvenom2122
couple quesitons!

Did you or Rey install this if so it says your from Arizona, Ray is in Philly,PA

and with just an intake you got these numbers if so you may be 260-270 hp with PSI kit

AEM Prototype CAI
223.6hp@6300rpm 199.4ftlbs@4900rpm
No ray did not do install.. installed it myself.

Those numbers are what AEM dynoed it at on their mustang dyno... 3rd gear pull.... I know I know... Dont need a lecture on the 3rd vs 4th gear pull....

When I take it to the dyno this time Im going to do 2 3rd 2 4th gear pulls...
Im hoping for 245-255hp on a 3rd gear pull.... I figure that is good considering the weather here is still in the 100s... Come winter time... a 3inch exh and TOG headers... Im hoping for 270ish...
Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 PM

and what about your warranty
Old 09-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
Hopefully the supercharger and engine dont blow up
Wanna play gotta pay.... I like modifying my cars and possible warranty problems are a sacrifice im willing to make...

I will be taking it in next week for oil change and passenger door leather....
Old 09-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Warranty...what warranty?

Hey, what dyno place are you going to? I'd like to maybe tag along and get some vids of your dyno. I'm very interested in getting this kit if I ever get a working SS/SC again. Also, is your stock boost gauge reading anything more than 12 psi or so?
Old 09-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
Warranty...what warranty?

Hey, what dyno place are you going to? I'd like to maybe tag along and get some vids of your dyno. I'm very interested in getting this kit if I ever get a working SS/SC again. Also, is your stock boost gauge reading anything more than 12 psi or so?
Hopefully Dynocomp

I wont be over there for the pulls... Im going to drop it off at lunch or something like that and pick it up later... I know they do a ton of the benz stuff.... If I cant get in over there soon Im going to look around for somewhere else...
Prior to kit stock gauge never read more then 10.5psi... Now it reads 10.5psi still but you can see the gauge sitting there fluttering like it wants to read higher... That could be my imagination though.... But now between shifts at redline the gauge shoots up to 15-16psi for a second... Doesnt really matter though... I ordered a mechanical gauge from revitup as well... Hopefully it will be here pretty soon.... I REALLY wish somebody made apillar pods for this damn car... I want to run an AEM Wideband controller and I dont want to mount it on my dash...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:11 AM

who is doing the dyno ??

glad its running better
Old 09-10-2005, 12:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
holy this mod is insane. I cant wait to get it.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:22 AM

I know of a shop that has a dyno near mesa/southern. I could get you their number if need be. The shop is a stones throw away from my office and I think they use dynojet, not completely sure tho.

Edit: Damn, we really need to get the Az members of this forum together for a night of fun. There's so many of us.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:46 AM

Once you get the pulley off with the ZZPerformance pulley tool how do you press the new hum on? With the same tool??
Old 09-10-2005, 01:38 AM

bulldog..I think I know what shop you're talking about. I took my mustang there a while back ago for some tuning, and they didn't know the f*** they were doing. i don't recommend them. I recommend SVC motorsports in Scottsdale. Besides, it's closer to HondaMan anyways.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
i turboed my 1997 celica

blew the engine after 6k miles

luckily i kept all the stock parts. spet 2 days putting her back to stock and went to the dealer and said the car was shaking pretty badly and smoking out the exhaust

got a whole new shortblock under warranty and paid $0

keep the stock parts, if **** goes wrong, have a back to stock day.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ExHondaMan
Monday or Tuesday.... They are REALLY busy now for some reason but I know a couple of guys over there and hopefully will get squeezed in...

i'd try to drive it around for atleast a week or so, so the computer can get adjusted to everything. does anyone know how long the computer on the cobalts takes to relearn everything? i know on my '00 cougar it was 14 days.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:53 AM

REALLY wish somebody made apillar pods for this damn car... I want to run an AEM Wideband controller and I dont want to mount it on my dash...
same here

vinny
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Domestics Pwn

Dynoed Today

Took the car to the dyno today.... Unfortunately no baseline with out kit on this dyno... It was baslined in Cali on a mustang and showed 216hp and 195trq... This time it was dynoed here locally in Phx on a Dyno Dynamics... Im told they tend to show the VERY low end... Ive seen base Cobalt SS run about 185hp and 175trq.... Owner of the shop told me that this particular dyno normally shows about 28-30% drivetrain loss in FWD.. So all that considered im VERY happy with the numbers...

Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 PM

Wow, 30% drivetrain loss? Why are they so conservative?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by phxSS
Wow, 30% drivetrain loss? Why are they so conservative?
Dont know... Just that particular type of dyno... He said stock WRXs only dyno about 160hp on their dyno... I hopped on a couple of WRX forums and did some searching... they all seemed to be in agreement that dyno dynamics read the lowest of just about any dyno...

I believe another member on this site dynoed on a dyno dynamics bone stock and only put down 187hp and 176 trq.... So I guess if you used that as a comparison thats 25hp and 25trq...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ExHondaMan
Dont know... Just that particular type of dyno... He said stock WRXs only dyno about 160hp on their dyno... I hopped on a couple of WRX forums and did some searching... they all seemed to be in agreement that dyno dynamics read the lowest of just about any dyno...

yeah i just pulled on a dyno dynamics and got 184.7 whp and 174 wtq, i won't go back to it because everyone was complaining about it. that's why i didn't post the slip. the fucked up thing was there was a dude with a 350z with 2k miles on it, intake/header/exhaust and he only dynoed 203hp lol that dude was so pissed off... i would say they are definitely not conservative, they are just horrible cheap dynos and i don't recommend anyone using them
Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Domestics Pwn

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yeah i just pulled on a dyno dynamics and got 184.7 whp and 174 wtq, i won't go back to it because everyone was complaining about it. that's why i didn't post the slip. the fucked up thing was there was a dude with a 350z with 2k miles on it, intake/header/exhaust and he only dynoed 203hp lol that dude was so pissed off... i would say they are definitely not conservative, they are just horrible cheap dynos and i don't recommend anyone using them
Actually from talking to quite a few places they are actually VERY good dynos.... they are just ultra conservative... But see.... You basline was 185/174.... I believe SwizzDSMSS put down the numbers I posted above.... Vs my numbers thats +24/+25 to me thats not bad !
Old 09-16-2005, 03:55 AM

ok so i'm lsot here...you xhanged your puly down to a 2.8in pully and the car on the dyno showed 211whp? isnt that low for the cobalt even with a stock pully....sorry if i sound like a moron i just dont get it

Quick Reply: Psi Fi Kit Installed