Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

please read my save you trouble too...High Idle after fuel induction service!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy please read my save you trouble too...High Idle after fuel induction service!

I drive a 2007 Cobalt LS 5spd. I took my car to quicklane for service since they stay open late enough for me to go after work. I got my spark plugs and boots replaced and fuel induction service. Every time I go in thy tell me they recommend I do this service to clean my engine and get better gas milage ect. Anyway when they finish the guy comes out and say "your car is idling high about 3k rpms and we do not know why I need to call my tech" so he calls his tech and he says I must take it to GM for a idle relearn and he wouldnt of done the service if he knew I had an electronic throttle body. So I take his word for it and when I stop at a light of for ay reason and put it in nuetral the car stays at 3k rpms untill I stop completely and the slowly goes to 1k. makes my car sound retarded and probably wastes alot of gas when I drive nothing is out of the ordinary just whenever I want to stop or sit still in it idles high I also have no check engine light. I take it to the GM service place and they say my car can not be relearned and needs a new throttle body after they tried to relearn it and failed they give me a quote on the repair and i take it to quick lane hand them the bill they say oh we will get you a new throttle body no problem so I wait a few days for the part and drop the car off when it gets in. they replace the throttle body and call me I said "did you test drive t to see if it goes down?" they said no but i will take it around the block to check it and assured me it was fixed so i pick it up after work today friday they were closed so i take it home and before i leave the parking lot same freaking problem!!!! it is like they didnt fix it so tomorrow im going to call them and have them just pay GM to fix it since im extreamly frustrated they were good about replacing the throttle body i jut hope they will be as easy about just getting billed from GM for messing up my car with their magic fuel induction treatment... anyway anyone with advice or a similar issue please respond I also tried to fix it by disconnecting the battery but it didnt work i feel like GM will fix it right...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM

What the hell did they actually do? I've heard after a cleaning that some people have higher idles but I cant remember anyone saying 3K RPM idles. If the only issue is the TB, I'd have to imagine it would be a lot less expensive for you to buy one from C.E.D. It's a pretty easy swap. That sucks though, gl with the fix.

EDIT: didn't read / catch that part where you already tried a new TB. That's interesting..

Last edited by Mr.N00bLaR; 02-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM

yea you should find out exactly what they did, they must have knocked something loose or or did something wrong cuz im appalled that putting a new throttle body on didnt fixh the problem
Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM

yea sounds to me it's more than just a throttle body, and personally this is why my car will never see a "quick service station." my car either gets worked on by me or by a shop of a family friend. good luck on getting it fixed thou, hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Im shocked myself they told me they swapped the throttle body and it was fixed I picked it up after they where closed so I couldnt go inside and raise hell I paid 100.00 for the fuel induction service they explained to me that they pump some sort of stuff into the throttle body and run the car and the bad stuff comes out of the tail pipe it seemed fixed untill I got a mile down the road pulled into mcdonalds and bam 3k rpms as i was slowing down to pull in when the car comes to a complete stop it slowly goes to 1k before i took the car in it ran like a champ no problems a simple routine maintenance boned my car I just pray they dont give me a hard time getting it right...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 PM

Do you think maybe it was the spark plug job but if it was that im shure I would of thrown a code... I dont have a check engine light so I do not think anything is knocked loose or I would throw a code right? it is very frustrating
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the air induction service was done wrong...A quality shop would 1)be able to tell if it was an electronic TB 2)Use the proper equipment for the air induction service

On electronic throttle bodies; One needs to use a different setup for the service. We always use the brake booster vac line and use the vacuum to suck the cleaner thru the engine using basically a big iv drip. Instead of what they did which was using shop air to push the cleaner thru a conical spray nozzle directly into the throttle body.

Make sure that they replaced the throttle body and cleared the codes...
Old 02-11-2012, 01:09 AM

Yea, sounds like the butterfly valve control got soaked, thats why i always clean my tb by hand with a rag and cleaner.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 AM

Is the butterfly valve something I can remedy myself? is so then how?