ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

5.3L or 4.6L northstar engine swap possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NS06G5
Hell why not the 572 crate motor?
or a custom LSX while we are at it.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 AM

You guys are nuts, you'd never get the ass end of the miata to stick to the ground HAHAHA Ok, so let me ask you guys this question. Say "theoretically" that I take the engine, throw it in, strengthen the frame, make the tranny sync somehow, and install a standalone fuel system with the installation of the grand prix gxp PCM to control spark. Why would I need a different ECU? The PCM controls the engine. The ECU controls the peripheries correct? And yes, there would be ABSOLUTELY no room for the LS4 turbo kit, and how the hell are you going to keep the tires off the some bitch on the ground with 600 horse LOL I'm shooting for 300 NA horsepower, "MAYBE" 350. I realize the differential would have to be replaced with the race version and the driveshafts would snap like twigs under the immense power so race versions of them would have to be purchased. And it would probably shear the lug studs right off of the hubs LOL but how friggin' awesome is that, those studs can be replaced with ones capable of handling 700 whp. Maybe I need to post the question in the electronics forum and see if a wiring guru has any idea about what to do. Thanks for all the ideas guys. Just trying to brain storm. The main reason I don't want to build my engine is that A it would be a top to bottom build, everything from crankshaft to heads, custom turbocharger because the garret kit blows goats, intake, h/e, and custom 3" exhaust. That all as I've priced would be ballpark of 5 to 6 grand. This question stemmed because I have a guy who can get me an LS4 out of a 05' Grand Prix GXP with 6,735 miles on it for 1,000 bones, how sweet is that deal???? I realize that a new PCM, differential and driveshafts would have to be purchased, but I'd have to buy driveshafts to build my engine to 300 hp too The fuel management system would have to be installed on my car too as well as a new PCM to build it as well because it's an 06' and you can't tune the bastard because of that. So the way I look at it, I'm actually saving myself money if I can find a car guru who can wire the bad boy. I am in luck however because a close personal friend is the owner of an Indy car team so I'm sure he's got some mechanics who would love to make some money on a side job. What do you guys think now? Let me know whatcha think. And I don't want to buy a different car because I want to have the sleeper cobalt from HELL. Silenced exhaust so until it was goosed you would have no idea what was under the thing's skirt. Just that sudden OH **** factor as I walk away with your money hahaha.

P.S. My car is the stripped down LS manual with no power windows, door locks or ABS (I don't think anyways) So there are less systems to worry about keeping intact.

http://aplusperformance.com/apexiint...c/g-50091.aspx Total engine management that replaces the stock ECU and continues to function options like air conditioning, what do you think about this?

Last edited by SilverShadow79; 11-19-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM

Just turbo ur car, save lots an lots of money and it will still be a sleeper an fast
Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 AM

i dont think you can turn if you do it
unless you make it turn like a forklift
Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 AM

The 5.3 engine itself only weighs 413 lbs., that's not thaaaat much more than a 2.2, I'm not expecting it to be that much more front heavy in corners, besides, it will be a strip car with that engine, no autocross with that engine hahaha. I'm guessing I'd probably only gain about 250 lbs w/ engine and trans.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 AM

Victory_red_SS can tell you all about how it's really easy and cheap to re-engineer a car.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Like i said earlier, If it was easy there would be a whole bunch of V8 cobalts running around.

theoretically you can do it. but why?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 AM

There may be no way to do it. I've been looking around and there is no manual transmission I can find that will link up to the engine. The GXP's, Monte Carlo's, and Impala's all came with a 4 speed automatic with paddle shift manual ability. NOOOT what I'm looking for. If I could've got an engine and tranny for 2,500 dollars I would've been all about making this work, BOOO. It's going to cost about 6 grand to turbo it and build the internals like I want to push 300 hp constant w/o nitrous, would've been cheaper with the v8 app """""Possibly""""" hahaha, guess I'll just start saving mad money to make this thing a turbo beast. The only thing that pisses me off is that the garrett kit sucks ass, I want a turbo that will push 15-20 psi not the 7-10 they are talking about. Need about twice as large of a turbo. Any ideas on that?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverShadow79
There may be no way to do it. I've been looking around and there is no manual transmission I can find that will link up to the engine. The GXP's, Monte Carlo's, and Impala's all came with a 4 speed automatic with paddle shift manual ability. NOOOT what I'm looking for. If I could've got an engine and tranny for 2,500 dollars I would've been all about making this work, BOOO. It's going to cost about 6 grand to turbo it and build the internals like I want to push 300 hp constant w/o nitrous, would've been cheaper with the v8 app """""Possibly""""" hahaha, guess I'll just start saving mad money to make this thing a turbo beast. The only thing that pisses me off is that the garrett kit sucks ass, I want a turbo that will push 15-20 psi not the 7-10 they are talking about. Need about twice as large of a turbo. Any ideas on that?
why would your goal be a certain psi amount vs. a certain power amount? one setup putting out 7 psi can make more power than another setup making 15psi.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 PM

hmm, i know they put ls1 and ls2's into solstices and sky's without any problems, so maybe it would be possible?
idk, i dont know about all the custom stuff that woul dhave to be done, and it would probly be to damn expensive to even be worth it, especially considering the ls1 solstice swap is around 14k if i remember correctly
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzHKb...eature=related

http://racingconcepts.net/miata.html
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM

think you need to read up more on turbos/engine building. No offense but you seem to have the F&F theory of cars. You cant just go throwing an engine into anything and have it work out.

The Garrett kit doesnt suck ass either. Its a really well designed kit for what its intended to do. Also you wouldnt need "twice as large of a turbo". Read up on there turbo theory page be fore you go spouting off.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
guy did it in a cavy
Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM

yea, but a cavy isnt a cobalt.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

northstar cavy
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM

It's doable big guy, look up Fiero's with 5.3L LS4's same tranny I'd use for the cobalt, the tranny can be built from a junkyard for under 700 dollars, the engine can be pieced together for under 2000 for the full on shot. From there, Apexi makes a standalone ECU that can control the whole set up and not take away factory functions. As I said before I have a totally stripped down Manual LS so the only option I have is air conditioning anyways, so nothing to lose. The hardest part will be the chassis strenghtening and the welding of motor mounts, new radiator, and making room for the big some bitch. A 303 hp N/A Cobalt V8, but yeah, it would be a lot of work, but you're not the one doing it, so keep the negativity to yourself bud. PLUS the extra engine would help it from a dig over a turbo or highly supercharged cobalt with the light ecotec engine in it. Not trying to autocross the thing. I would then just build this engine, but hell, the turbo kit ALONE costs 3,700 bucks, waste of money for 70 hp, big time, that's why i want more bang for the buck, and I'm willing to put in the work, I can see you wouldn't be and you've made that perfectly clear. I didn't **** in your cereal so quit stirrin my kool-aid hahaha.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Im not pissin in your cereal on purpose. Im just saying. Wanting to do something and having it planned out, then putting it into action and succeding, especailly with this, are 2 diffrent things. and options really wont make a difffrence at all. All the electronics wouldnt want to agree. it can be done, but wow what a hassel.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 PM

That's why I'm getting everybody's opinion because other's experience is invaluable in situations like these. I'm still trying to put together what I want to do. I've got three different build options already outlined with all of the parts needed, whether it be turbocharging 2.2L, supercharging 2.2L, or jamming a big boy in there, haven't set my mind on one, just trying to find past experiences that will help me make my decision.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Just turbo or supercharge it and u will be happy and save lots of money instead of a big v8
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM

just turbo. soooo much easier, and alot of fun.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm gonna change all the internals as well, Comp Cams makes a turbo cam, forged pistons, 60# injectors, new valve springs and assemblies, port and polished head. I think that that will an intake and custom 3" exhaust ought to make 300, what do you guys think? Do you use meth injections with turbo or just supercharged? I'm still gonna have to either piggy back my ECU to tune my engine or make it fully standalone because you can't tune my year, BULL CRAP.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM

why not put a second LSJ in the trunk and turn it into an AWD. It would be sick to hear 2 superchargers spin up
Old 11-21-2008, 06:11 PM

ha ha ha
Old 06-26-2014, 04:29 PM

separate control modules

The airbags have their own control module so all it needs is the 12v source, also things like power steering, ac, and radio are controled by the body control module. The abs factor depends if you do have abs. Some models came with no abs. I found this out when i was rounding a corner and grampa mcfarts pulls out of his drive way. Fitting the ls4 would require a widened engine bay for the engine and trans, custom axle shafts, the eng/trans would have to line up and that can cause a weird mounting position. Exhaust would be difficult to route. Heavier springs up front, the balance of the car is at a whopping 60/40 ratio so weight would have to be placed in the rear to compensate for the extra 148 pounds you'll have up front.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by redcobaltmadness
The airbags have their own control module so all it needs is the 12v source, also things like power steering, ac, and radio are controled by the body control module. The abs factor depends if you do have abs. Some models came with no abs. I found this out when i was rounding a corner and grampa mcfarts pulls out of his drive way. Fitting the ls4 would require a widened engine bay for the engine and trans, custom axle shafts, the eng/trans would have to line up and that can cause a weird mounting position. Exhaust would be difficult to route. Heavier springs up front, the balance of the car is at a whopping 60/40 ratio so weight would have to be placed in the rear to compensate for the extra 148 pounds you'll have up front.
You just bumped a thread that is 6 years old lol

Quick Reply: 5.3L or 4.6L northstar engine swap possible?