ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

lsj air to air problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebristol
The only reason I gave you a hard time is because you claimed huge gains without any proof. If you would have went to the dyno with mods 1,2,3 and make XXXwhp and then went back with your Air to Air setup and made XXXwhp things would be a lot different.
i never said this mod would give me huge power, i knew it would solve the cooling problem that the lsj has with small pulleys. and it did that exactly.

i still think at the time i was doing great. no one on a tvs running 93 was making more power at the rpms i was running and the small exhaust. everyone making the power was pushing well over 7k and had 3in setup. because you needed a big exhaust and rpms ( and octane ) to make the power.

im also not rich and have to do things in steps.

also i never told anyone i would sell this setup. my brother was going to sell them for people without access to a welder. i on the other hand posted up plenty of pictures and described this to anyone in detail on how to make it for themselves. i wasnt hiding anything.

area has been helpfull to everyone to a point. if you ask him a question he will respond with good info. and i agree with him, somewhat. some people are great with tuning. some people know nothing about it. i dont know anything about it. helping the person who doesnt know much about it doesnt hurt anyone but moves along the community.

if more people shared the "power" tunes it would move the cobalt along very fast. instead of 1 cobalt making 400whp youd have 40. then the people who started the 400whp trend would have to push harder to stand out. instead we have people that cant get over 250whp and some over 600. why not have a bunch at 400 and a few at 700?

o well thats my rant for the morning
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
yes it is i dont see the great lsj gods offering ****
As in real life, there is no such thing as a GOD. Anyone with the right tools (WB and HPTs) should be able to probably tune the LSJ. Its not that hard.

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
The new kids are sharing though

Originally Posted by freakta
o well thats my rant for the morning
I am sorry but I may have been wrong about your intentions at the beginning of this project. Like I said, everyone wants a piece of the pie. When most people start projects like this it is to fill a need within the platform and fill their pockets.

Maybe you were different? Sorry for doubting you and keep up the good work!

Innovation will keep this platform moving forward.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
tuning probably isent thaat hard for some people but i grew up tuning carbs lol but i am soon to be learning this new way of doing things as for freaktas project i think its a dam good step in a good direction
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
funny thing is. i have given out info, i have lent a hand to people, and i have been burned by this. when you take the time to think about it, myself and my cobalt that i owned. i ran over 250 dyno pulls with it. in various states of build up. THIS is how i found out what works. THIS is how i found the power. if someone is not willing to put forth the effort, time, and money to get the power. i can't help you. i won't help you.

i have one last "hand out" coming in a couple weeks.

in short. spend the time, the money, and do the research. you want a 380whp lsj with a tvs? thats easy. you don't want to spend the money? that's a problem.

fast
cheap
reliable.

there is a reason why i got 109k miles out of mine. think about it for a minute. then think about your setup.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 PM

im not worried about my setup it will last.
wish i had the money for the dyno
10 runs per dyno tune
500 bucks each time
250 dyno pulls?
thats 12500 dollars in dyno pulls

but each person has there own things they do. and area ive definately been helped by you, so dont think im singling you out.

im sitting at 80k on my car, never had a problem with it. just got rid of the stock clutch cause the car had the tranny out and i figured id do it for fun
Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
What clutch did u put in?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 AM

upgraded gm clutch, there are a bunch of turbo lsj guys with them and slicks that dont have problems so im fine with it and they are cheap
Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
That's exactly why I bought the same one lol
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Area47
funny thing is. i have given out info, i have lent a hand to people, and i have been burned by this. when you take the time to think about it, myself and my cobalt that i owned. i ran over 250 dyno pulls with it. in various states of build up. THIS is how i found out what works. THIS is how i found the power. if someone is not willing to put forth the effort, time, and money to get the power. i can't help you. i won't help you.

in short. spend the time, the money, and do the research. you want a 380whp lsj with a tvs? thats easy. you don't want to spend the money? that's a problem.

fast
cheap
reliable.

there is a reason why i got 109k miles out of mine. think about it for a minute. then think about your setup.
ur dam good i always enjoyed reading your posts
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM

fast
cheap
reliable.

I gotta make sure not to miss this hand out.. LOL

I'm at 143K on mine.. 63k on the TVS.. .. 93k on my own tunes.. If it blows up tonight i can't complain, she's been good to me..

10 runs per dyno tune
500 bucks each time
250 dyno pulls?

but each person has there own things they do. and area ive definately been helped by you, so dont think im singling you out.

im sitting at 80k on my car, never had a problem with it. just got rid of the stock clutch cause the car had the tranny out and i figured id do it for fun
Wow.. you're getting raped on dyno time.. I made 15 pulls in an hour a few weeks back for $100 bucks.. LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yum super secret toons
Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts

fast
cheap
reliable.

interested in said hand out
Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Rent me! per hour

10 runs per dyno tune
500 bucks each time
250 dyno pulls?

the shop i use, we have a standing agreement more or less in regards to the dyno. i spend an average of 4 hours on it at a time. even with the truck.

in short. it didn't cost anywhere near that much for 250 pulls.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 PM

**** 250 pulls would cost like 8500 k probably less around me idk how they got 12500 lol

it's usually 75-150 for 3-4 pulls (some dynos let you get a few more) including boost and AF logging.. so figure .. 3 runs per dyno visist 85 visits probably 100 a piece thats still less then what you were thinking.. last time i went to the dyno i got like 6-10 runs for 75 bux with boost logging on an AWD mustang killer dyno lol
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of the guys deemed as "gods" have given out very good info, but most of them dont just tell you exactly what it is. A lof of them hint at it, but a half hour of searching and reading will help you put together the puzzle. Then if you figure it out correctly and ask them they will tell you that you are correct. I know Bryan has told me on several occasions when I have been correct when putting together what he has hinted at. If you ask them an educated question and show that you have some idea of whats going on they will almost always give you an educated and helpful answer.

I agree that some info should be a little more accessible, but there is a lot of info out there that people arent willing to search for.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
**** 250 pulls would cost like 8500 k probably less around me idk how they got 12500 lol

it's usually 75-150 for 3-4 pulls (some dynos let you get a few more) including boost and AF logging.. so figure .. 3 runs per dyno visist 85 visits probably 100 a piece thats still less then what you were thinking.. last time i went to the dyno i got like 6-10 runs for 75 bux with boost logging on an AWD mustang killer dyno lol
is that pricing for pulls or is someone tuning as well (as in you not doing it yourself)
Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM

is that pricing for pulls or is someone tuning as well (as in you not doing it yourself)
area tunes himself so i did pricing based on someone tuning yourself..

most shops around me charge 400 for dyno tuning for the first few hours then like the normal dyno rate after that time is eaten up
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
area tunes himself so i did pricing based on someone tuning yourself..

most shops around me charge 400 for dyno tuning for the first few hours then like the normal dyno rate after that time is eaten up
thats what i was getting at. to pay someone to dyno tune your car 250 pulls is incredibly expensive. i dont tune. i weld. i can make all kinds of parts for myself alot of people cant do that but i would show them how to make anything
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 AM

Wait, so your delta T of the entire system is 1*F, at 20 psig (2.3 bar absolute), flowing (I guess I'll do the math later based on the pulley ratio and blower displacement), through an air to air intercooler which at best is operating at 80% efficiency and a blower which at best is operating at 70% efficiency. I'm going to call bull **** now before doing the math. You sir have broken the laws of thermodynamics.

Thanks for the pics of the gutted IM though, makes it easier for me to visualize the better air to water IM in my head.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM

huh? hahaha i just woke up and this hurts
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Leafydialupking
Wait, so your delta T of the entire system is 1*F, at 20 psig (2.3 bar absolute), flowing (I guess I'll do the math later based on the pulley ratio and blower displacement), through an air to air intercooler which at best is operating at 80% efficiency and a blower which at best is operating at 70% efficiency. I'm going to call bull **** now before doing the math. You sir have broken the laws of thermodynamics.

Thanks for the pics of the gutted IM though, makes it easier for me to visualize the better air to water IM in my head.
where is this stated? just out of curiosity. you probably should hav quoted it
Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Leafydialupking

another ******* expert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
where is this stated? just out of curiosity. you probably should hav quoted it
A few pages back he stated that back to back dyno pulls resulted in only a 1* increase in IAT2 over IAT1.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Rent me! per hour

he is closer to right than most people think
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he is closer to right than most people think
"he" being freakta or the poster above you?

Quick Reply: lsj air to air problem