ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Remote oil filter/cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote oil filter/cooler

Might not be much interest to most, but I got my remote oil cooler/ oil filler kit this week. Replaces the coolant cooled oil cooler and bypasses the filter for a spin on version. Kit was made by www.unique-fabricating.com for my Ariel Atom.

The adapter for the filter boss might be of interest to someone. has a port to attach the original oil pressure sensor and a separate one that is 1/8 npt to fit an autometer oil pressure sending unit.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 PM

looks nice and should help with lower engine temps. do you know how much more this increases your oil capacity??
Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 PM

I'd guess about an extra liter given the length of the lines and cooler. yep, one of the other benefits
Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 AM

So 6Ltrs total right? Sorry I'm kinda new to this stuff. I want to do all my best possible supporting mods for stg2 next month, and this looks like a positive cooling method. How are our S/C cooled?
Old 12-25-2009, 03:57 PM

the sc is cooled by a totally different cooling than system than the engine coolant, i believe it uses air to liquid cooling, the charged air passes over 4 "cores" which have fluid running through them and cools the IAT2 temp to prevent kr.
A front mount heat exchanger is usually recomended for a stage 2 setup, might as well grab you an option b also, i just installed mine the other day and it was a pain in the ass but the temps are def lower than without the unit.
not sure how many liters the car takes, i know it takes 6 quarts of oil normally.
Not sure where your going to mount that oil cooler radiator, but if you get fmhe it pretty much takes up the hole front end.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to keep in mind about the oil-to-coolant coolers like what is used stock is that besides helping to keep oil temps down they also help get the oil up to temp faster. The coolant can get up to normal range pretty quick but on a car without a oil-to-coolant cooler if you watch oil pressure it can take quite a bit longer for it to start warming up enough to fall to normal operating range.

If you live in a southern state where it is warm all year it probably won't be an issue, but if you put a larger oil-to-air cooler on the car and completely remove or not use the factory oil-to-coolant heat exchanger you might consider adding or getting a oil-to-air model that has a thermostatically controlled flow. That way the oil can get up to normal operating temp quicker (although not as fast as an oil-to-coolant setup) which will minimize wear and not cause the oil pressure to remain high and bypass the filter.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by blackbird
One thing to keep in mind about the oil-to-coolant coolers like what is used stock is that besides helping to keep oil temps down they also help get the oil up to temp faster
Thanks, good thoughts. This will be in an Atom that sees only summer driving and I have a 2 liter oil pre-lube/accumulator installed as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM

You should be good to go then if you warm it up well before any spirited driving. An oil temp and pressure gauge might come in helpful just to make sure everything is warmed up and flowing.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM

So, from the factory my car has a heat exchanger somewhere? Am I to assume that this device works as an intercooler for the s/c? If this is the case, then why hasnt anyone developed an intercooler to mount under the charger?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by SlobaltSS/C
So, from the factory my car has a heat exchanger somewhere? Am I to assume that this device works as an intercooler for the s/c? If this is the case, then why hasnt anyone developed an intercooler to mount under the charger?
Thats what the Front Moutn Heat Exchanger is for, its another pass for the liquid to help cool the charged air.
Yes, the car comes with stock h/e but its pretty small and its fine for stock use, but when you start pullying down the iat2's start going way up and you will get kr and blow you **** up or just loose allot of power from it cause the car will pull timing.
The factory h/e is located in front of the radiator, if you look down under your hood you will see a thin radiator looking thing with a bolt in the top left corner, thats your factory h/e.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM

This is talking about the lubrication system oil-to-coolant cooler, which stock also happens to be a heat exchanger. It is the device that is attached to the side of the oil cartridge filter housing and has an engine coolant feed and return lines that run to and from it. Approximately a quarter of an engine's heat it generates from the combustion process is transferred to the oil (with the majority of the rest transferred to the engine coolant). The stock oil-to-coolant heat exchanger transfers this heat to the engine coolant which in turns flows through the radiator where it is passed to the ambient air flowing through it.

The intercooler system on the supercharged LSJ cars uses a liquid-to-air intercooler core to absorb heat from the intake charge and then passes this heat to the coolant-to-air heat exchanger (i.e. the small front mount radiator) but this is a different exchanger than what is being discussed here.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by PRND3L
looks nice and should help with lower engine temps. do you know how much more this increases your oil capacity??
Finished the install. the oil capacity is 8 quarts now (with one additional quart in the accumulator I already have) for 9 total. that should be enough

Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

holy god thats almost as much oil as a cummins deisel.lol.thats one expensive oil change.Hopefully it does what you want it to do.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 PM

id hate to dig up a thread from 2009 but im in a pickle here with my oil cooler on my Le5, damn thing was leaking dunno if its cracked or the orings were shot, and i wanted to bypass it, didnt see this plate listed on their website as being available to purchase at all.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
id hate to dig up a thread from 2009 but im in a pickle here with my oil cooler on my Le5, damn thing was leaking dunno if its cracked or the orings were shot, and i wanted to bypass it, didnt see this plate listed on their website as being available to purchase at all.
What did you end up doing ?!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:40 PM

LNF Cooler Plates

I actually made up my own plate for my LNF as I couldn't find them for sale. I purchased a cooler, milled it down and welded 2 -10AN fittings on there. If anyone needs plates fabricated I could probably whip up a few. Send me a message at info@corsomotors.com
Old 05-14-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie
What did you end up doing ?!
holy thread revival batman