All Cars Café The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat about all cars.

My Z31 300ZX build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 287 Likes on 265 Posts
No start up vids for a teaser?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm kind of worried it won't start If I remember to record when first start happens I'll record.

Today's work. Installed the Megasquirt 3x sequential compatible trigger into the distributor and cut the rotor shaft down. Going to have my friend Josh at LFU Engineering make me a low profile decorative cap.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, this is an awesome build. I wish I had the know-how to do something like this. Good luck, OP.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Getaway_Driver
Man, this is an awesome build. I wish I had the know-how to do something like this. Good luck, OP.
Thank you sir. You can get the know how man. When I started with this thing I didn't know much at all. It just takes a lot of practice, patience and tons of trial and error.

Honestly when I got this car back in like 05 or 06 I didn't realize what kind of work was required to modify a Z31 beyond basic bolt on stuff. I had a Z31 years before this one but never really did any mods. This build is really like iteration 4 or 5 of me putting this car together. I started with basically stock with some bolt on stuff. Then from there have gone progressively further when I got bored or broke it. Mainly broke it. I've broke it a lot lol. This time around I figured it's time to go big or go home.

It has been a learning experience from beginning to end each and every time I've tore it down and put it back together. Sometimes I wish I liked a car that has an actual after market instead of having to do everything custom but it really does give you a sense of pride that is well worth the hassle.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
its way more fun to build something with little aftermarket. as easy as building a car with an aftermarket is, the problem is you dont get much respect for it because its all bolted together, and there is always someone out there with the same thing thats in some way better. with no aftermarket, or just doing something out there, your free to do it as you want, you get to create it the way you see fit, not the way the aftermarket dictates.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:44 AM

You are absolutely right. I can't even begin to describe to you the feeling when I raced the 500whp Terminator and beat it with my pieced together experiment. I knew it was quick but a 500whp terminator is nothing to scoff at and figured it would be him winning and by a good bit.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is really cool. I'll definitely be following the rest of the build. I like the way you get **** done, QUICKLY! Always liked reading the stories of this car, so its exciting to see you are taking the next big step with it.

I agree on the much respect for building something not many people put time or effort into. I like different things, or "unsuspecting" cars I guess. Still performance oriented from factory, but then building the absolute ***** out of it I know the look I get when I run someone in a 600whp Saturn, so I can't imagine the looks you will get with the Z Keep up the good work man, can't wait to see the finished product
Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM

Thank you sir. It's taken me like 3 months longer than I had wanted it too lol I'm ready to have it going again.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do real nice work! Now I miss my 300zx, it was white as well, caught on fire.....
Old 02-13-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by erockxp
You do real nice work! Now I miss my 300zx, it was white as well, caught on fire.....
Thanks. That sucks. It likely didn't have the injector recall done. A bunch of them died that way unfortunately.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That makes sense, it was hard to tell exactly where the fire started but it was in that general area. That car was the only automatic I ever owned. I think your color choices for the engine bay will look great. Nice and clean and white on the outside, open the hood, boom bright red and turbo. I really like where this is going. Any more pics?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 84 z31it was my first car back in 2003 and was able to get the injector recall done too I miss it but it was na and it was a chick magnet lol your car looks pretty sweet I wanted to get another one and drop an rb26 or 2jz maybe one day lol
Old 02-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by cleanxfe
I had a 84 z31it was my first car back in 2003 and was able to get the injector recall done too I miss it but it was na and it was a chick magnet lol your car looks pretty sweet I wanted to get another one and drop an rb26 or 2jz maybe one day lol
I thought about an RB swap. Decided I like being able to go to the scrap yard and have dozens of VG's to choose from. I'm also a bit biased. I know VG's like the back of my hand now

Spent most of my day trying to figure out where the hell I'm going to mount the LSX coils. Looks like I'll be making a bracket and attaching them to the strut towers. Sequential injection better be worth it!

Other than that I finished putting the engine bay fuel system together. Yes I know that one stainless line doesn't match the others (My friend John was quick to jump on that because he's annoying as hell about things being pretty). My old man decided that having the Aeroquip line right there was bad news as it would likely get a hole rubbed in it. He's been doing this a whole hell of a lot longer than me so I took his advice. I'll look into replacing that line with a black line or just paint this one black.

As you can see I decided to mount the FPR with the stock FPR holes. I just used some 110mm black studs to bring it out past the timing cover and modified the bracket, then secured it with stainless nuts. Believe it or not it's pretty sturdy, the fuel lines add support as well. I like the way it looks front and center like that. The return line I decided to loop up under the timing cover by the thermostat housing then up by the rocker cover then down to the return to keep it out of the way of the belts and such.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:21 PM

Today I wanted to get the coil brackets fabbed and then mounted but it turned into hunt down belts day. It was an adventure! 4 trips up town to multiple stores. The alternator belt was a pain to find, the power steering/water pump not to bad. They look good though so there is that! I also put an Aeroquip line on in place of the stainless. I'm torn. Don't know whether to just leave the stainless (I painted it black) or leave the Aeroquip line on like this.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 PM

why not get some normal an fittings and the nylon braided hose and use that? its far more flexible and forgiving than steel braided and push-loc hose. ive never been a fan of push-loc. its hard to make a suggestion on different routing just from pics, looks like everything is quite tight around that t-stat housing.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:28 PM

I got the socketless hose because I liked the way it looked. I didn't realize how rigid it was until I went to do the install lol. Other than that bit right there it worked great.

That area is a mess. I had to get a 90 elbow to install in the rail because there was no way to get any other fitting on with that neck and it had to come around that side because there is zero room on the other size lol. I thought about looking to see if I could find a hard line to loop around right there.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM

Well this is what I came up with for the coils. Looks like poo at the moment. I'm going to paint the brackets gloss black and get nice stainless hardware. That should make it look better. I went for simplicity being I am only armed with a cut off wheel, hack saw, dremel, drill and grinder. I used all preexisting holes on the stut towers, the down side to that is the passenger coils sit a little lower than the drivers but I'm not terribly worried about that.

This weekend begins the wiring of Megasquirt. It shouldn't be to much longer!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm liking the quick progress that is being made on this! You don't mess around lol
Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^this.

looking good man!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM

I'm ready to drive it. I miss my baby.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 PM

Wiring Megasquirt 3x = no fun! So many wires! All over the place! Tomorrow I'll hopefully have them all connected and loomed.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 PM

until you have built an ls swap harness out of a factory truck harness you cant complain about wiring.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:28 PM

I'd have just bought a painless harness that's your own fault lol
Old 02-22-2015, 01:30 AM

yea that is easier, however its not always that simple. with the variations of the ls engines and transmissions it can make it difficult to get the right harness. oh and i get paid to do it, so that kinda helps.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Wish I could say I got it running this weekend lol. Wiring is not my forte that's for sure. With that said though progress was made. Harness is 90% complete. Hopefully I'll have it finished up tomorrow morning before work. I'm hoping to have it installed in the car before the weekend so I can try to get it started. The pics of the harness are bad because it was dark when I took them. Sorry about that.

So much room for activities!

Quick Reply: My Z31 300ZX build