All Cars Café The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat about all cars.

should i continue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i continue

So after todays hick up with the stupid thing falling off the stand an denting the fender I'm thinking of saying screw this an getting rid of the balt ive put a bit of money into it soo far to get it road worthy again but I'm starting to loose interest in it so I continue on the re build or just part it out ? Don't think I will get the money ive put into it back which is 4gs

still has a bit of things to go like strut sway bar linkage an wiring (I hate wiring) an a new battery windshield an tire alligment brake pads paint job theres probably more I'm forgetting or maybe that's it only has 106000kms on it
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Fix the major issues with it and then daily drive it (unless the snow fall is to great then well you're from Canada you know what to do). I wouldn't worry about painting things yet, leave that for after you've had some time actually driving the car, and in the mean time you can keep looking for a factory painted red bumpers because that will likely be cheaper than the repaint.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Fix the major issues with it and then daily drive it (unless the snow fall is to great then well you're from Canada you know what to do). I wouldn't worry about painting things yet, leave that for after you've had some time actually driving the car, and in the mean time you can keep looking for a factory painted red bumpers because that will likely be cheaper than the repaint.
I have a good little winter beater for winters so the car gets parked during the winter ether in the shop or under the car cover when the shop is in use finding the factory bumpers isn't easy ive been looking for a while now an none have shown up that why I'm considering getting them painted
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
It's not worth a ton.

Part out? Best way get your money back.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
It's not worth a ton.

Part out? Best way get your money back.
already priced it out an probably 3g in parting it out so still loose money going to message a few shops an see how much they would charge to fix it oh an is It possible to change your username?

Last edited by WillisW; 03-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Best to kept it in your situation
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
Best to kept it in your situation
How much more cash do you think its going to take to get it back on the road then?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Well painted bumpers isn't necessary for it to drive, with what you mentioned maybe 600-800 bucks without the painting
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM

Well painted bumpers isn't necessary for it to drive, with what you mentioned maybe 600-800 bucks without the painting
is that in US or Canadian dollars lol an also would the engine an everything fit into the smaller models like the ls an lt an base coupes?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

US it could be less a battery here is 100+, windshield aftermarket last I got one was like 120, if just brake pads depends for the final price, alignment can be all over the place but usually 70+ the rest im not sure on price. I'm sure1 it would fit the think is passing all the wiring and stuff like that don't know much on the subject
Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 PM

US it could be less a battery here is 100+, windshield aftermarket last I got one was like 120, if just brake pads depends for the final price, alignment can be all over the place but usually 70+ the rest im not sure on price. I'm sure1 it would fit the think is passing all the wiring and stuff like that don't know much on the subject
Just asking cause I saw a bit ago like a week or two weeks a 06 cobalt lt for sale for 600obo only thing that was wrong is he put a hole in the oil pan going down a gravel road an since then I would have to cars I can just swap everything including the wiring as well only thing that might be an issue is the different suspension set ups since one if FE5 an the other is ether FE1 or FE3 so that means the engine cradle an everything would have to be swapped but I don't know if that would fit or not so i can just swap everything an sell what parts i take out an don't need
Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WillisW
Just asking cause I saw a bit ago like a week or two weeks a 06 cobalt lt for sale for 600obo only thing that was wrong is he put a hole in the oil pan going down a gravel road an since then I would have to cars I can just swap everything including the wiring as well only thing that might be an issue is the different suspension set ups since one if FE5 an the other is ether FE1 or FE3 so that means the engine cradle an everything would have to be swapped but I don't know if that would fit or not so i can just swap everything an sell what parts i take out an don't need
supercharge an L61; or LE5 if you want to do internals. Then sell the body of the ss after you seith the seats and body kit and wheels.

nova scotia prices.
- 180$ new battery
-30$ at andy's tire for an alignment or you can do a cheap hakf assed one by taking a tape measure and checking if your wheels are the same distance apart in the front and back by locking your steering wheel as straightas possible and then doing the measuring. If theyre not. Mess around with the steering components till they are. I like to use a hammer. Go Wild Bill or Jermey Clarkson style. Jk take the thing to andy's
-youd be looking at atleast 200$ to do the brakes because you will end up having to do the rotors or lines or soemthing else. You always will with these cars....just when one thing goes, everything follows it
-130$ windscreen
-wiring, you may find a friend to help you or pay a dealer BIG money to do it right the first time for you
-painting the bumper yourself in a shed or barn maybe 80$ worth of equipment (bondo, paint, clear coat, different grit sandpaper)

but. If you go and buy an LT then the fe5 struts and shocks will bolt up ....if you want it all, it will have to be either an 07, 08, 09 if i am correct. Im not 100% but i think that is correct. Drop the engine, supercharger, seats, hubs and wheels, and exhaust on it and have a decent little 'sleeper'

my 2cents. But hey. I own more canadian tire money than i do Canadian tender, so who am i to say.

edit: my phones auto correct has a mind of its own. And i have too big a thumbs to type on a little screen. Dont mind me LOL

Last edited by COBALTace; 03-14-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by COBALTace
supercharge an L61; or LE5 if you want to do internals. Then sell the body of the ss after you seith the seats and body kit and wheels.

nova scotia prices.
- 180$ new battery
-30$ at andy's tire for an alignment or you can do a cheap hakf assed one by taking a tape measure and checking if your wheels are the same distance apart in the front and back by locking your steering wheel as straightas possible and then doing the measuring. If theyre not. Mess around with the steering components till they are. I like to use a hammer. Go Wild Bill or Jermey Clarkson style. Jk take the thing to andy's
-youd be looking at atleast 200$ to do the brakes because you will end up having to do the rotors or lines or soemthing else. You always will with these cars....just when one thing goes, everything follows it
-130$ windscreen
-wiring, you may find a friend to help you or pay a dealer BIG money to do it right the first time for you
-painting the bumper yourself in a shed or barn maybe 80$ worth of equipment (bondo, paint, clear coat, different grit sandpaper)

but. If you go and buy an LT then the fe5 struts and shocks will bolt up ....if you want it all, it will have to be either an 07, 08, 09 if i am correct. Im not 100% but i think that is correct. Drop the engine, supercharger, seats, hubs and wheels, and exhaust on it and have a decent little 'sleeper'

my 2cents. But hey. I own more canadian tire money than i do Canadian tender, so who am i to say.

edit: my phones auto correct has a mind of its own. And i have too big a thumbs to type on a little screen. Dont mind me LOL

I was thinking it would make a good little sleeper car but it would require both cars being torn down to the unibody an then built from the ground up for both cars an that would be lots of hours into it