Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

--||The Official Headlight and Taillight Thread||--

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got some gen1 with hid for sale if anyone is interested
Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Whats up guys I got a quick question.. I plan on buying gen 3's in the future but I wanted a temporary solution I was thinking about painting the inside of my stock headlamp matte black, but I started looking around the light and wasn't sure if you can safely take the lens off and put it back on.. Has anyone done it? If so, I'd love to see what it looks like. Thanks guys
Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-paint-your-headlights-lots-pics-56k-mabye-16874/ this should be what your looking for
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM

Well, I just replaced my gen 3 projectors with my stocks. Why? Both lens were peeling and splitting (after a year in the desert sun).

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet, but if you're interested in spare halos and leds (both still functional), message me.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by countrySS
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16874 this should be what your looking for
Thanks man that's exactly what I was looking for haha.. I had no idea it would take so much effort though that's interesting. May have to set aside a Saturday sometime and give it a shot, although I can't wait to get my gen 3's.

Originally Posted by lilskarvcx
Well, I just replaced my gen 3 projectors with my stocks. Why? Both lens were peeling and splitting (after a year in the desert sun).

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet, but if you're interested in spare halos and leds (both still functional), message me.
Well damn dude I don't want mine to chip haha is this a common problem with the gen 3's? I'm not gonna pay almost $200 for projectors that only last a year before you have to disassemble and repaint them haha. Although they do look sick enough to where it's almost worth it.. Haha but what's up with these retro's everyone's getting what're the benefits of those?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:53 AM

I've heard of projector generations of all sorts having the same problem, but I've also heard of people who have no problems and swear by it.
My guess is that they aren't built to the same standards as the official lights and can't withstand the Southwestern heat.

From what I've heard about the retros (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), you can ship your lights to some business and they install a different, brighter light in place of the highbeam/ lowbeam light and can paint the insides black as an option.

The advantage to retros is that they use the stock lens and casement (as opposed to the projector's manufacturer version of "quality"), so you're not paying for a new lens and such, but rather installment and tuning of a different, higher quality high beam/ low beam light.
(I personally like the projector's design more than the stock look of retros)

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by lilskarvcx
I've heard of projector generations of all sorts having the same problem, but I've also heard of people who have no problems and swear by it.
My guess is that they aren't built to the same standards as the official lights and can't withstand the Southwestern heat.

From what I've heard about the retros (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), you can ship your lights to some business and they install a different, brighter light in place of the highbeam/ lowbeam light and can paint the insides black as an option.

The advantage to retros is that they use the stock lens and casement (as opposed to the projector's manufacturer version of "quality"), so you're not paying for a new lens and such, but rather installment and tuning of a different, higher quality high beam/ low beam light.
(I personally like the projector's design more than the stock look of retros)

Good luck!
Okay I understand now.. I started just looking around online for retros a while ago and feel like they were well over $500 but I'm guessing that's for a whole new assembly I guess it wouldn't be that expensive if you used your stockers. But I agree with you, I really like the look of the projectors, and I live in NC so even though it gets pretty hot and humid I guess the sunlight isn't as direct and intense. Thanks for the help, looks like I'm gonna paint the stockers and order some projectors when the moneys there! Ill post pics of the stockers when I'm done, I've got some pretty cool ideas...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM

hope it goes well
Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 AM

I've been looking through these posts for a little while now and I haven't found the answer, so I figured I'd ask. Hope I'm not beaing a dead horse here. I recently purchased and installed an HID kit on my 06 SS. I notice that the light output does seem rather "scattered". Is that because I'm using the stock headlight assembly and need to upgrade to projector lights? Any information/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mills3
I've been looking through these posts for a little while now and I haven't found the answer, so I figured I'd ask. Hope I'm not beaing a dead horse here. I recently purchased and installed an HID kit on my 06 SS. I notice that the light output does seem rather "scattered". Is that because I'm using the stock headlight assembly and need to upgrade to projector lights? Any information/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I know of ton of guys running HIDs with their stock headlight assembly who have said the same thing, and it makes plenty of sense to me.. Because a HID is so much brighter of a light, it needs to be focused via a projector or what have you. With our stock assembly, there's too much room for the light to reflect around therefore it seems much more spread out. The HIDs work better on stock assemblies that are shaped more tightly like the TC or something like that... Our reflector is HUGE for our high/low beams, that's why it doesn't guide the light in any sort of pattern. I'm waiting to buy projectors before i convert to HID for this reason, because projectors will take a different kind of kit (2 kits if I want high and low beam) so I don't want to have to buy any more than I need to haha.
That's MY opinion anyways.. Hope it helps somewhat
Old 08-07-2010, 03:09 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No only does the light scatter more because it's brighter, the hid bulbs have a different light/beam pattern coming off the bulb than halogens do, making the light reflect in completely different directions.

Originally Posted by JWhit197
Okay I understand now.. I started just looking around online for retros a while ago and feel like they were well over $500 but I'm guessing that's for a whole new assembly I guess it wouldn't be that expensive if you used your stockers. But I agree with you, I really like the look of the projectors, and I live in NC so even though it gets pretty hot and humid I guess the sunlight isn't as direct and intense. Thanks for the help, looks like I'm gonna paint the stockers and order some projectors when the moneys there! Ill post pics of the stockers when I'm done, I've got some pretty cool ideas...
Go check out buyhids.com, I think you will be surprised by their prices.

Last edited by TommyP; 08-07-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Hey where can i get a pair of these black headlights? everywhere ive checked they want like 300

Originally Posted by 06C0BALT

close up on the car.

before they were installed.
Hey man where can i get a pair of these headlights? everywhere i checked they want like 300 for em

Last edited by Vick; 08-07-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 AM

you take ur stock ones apart and paint them.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by goeckeritz123
i got some gen1 with hid for sale if anyone is interested
how much are you asking?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tommyp2010
No only does the light scatter more because it's brighter, the hid bulbs have a different light/beam pattern coming off the bulb than halogens do, making the light reflect in completely different directions.

Go check out buyhids.com, I think you will be surprised by their prices.
Yeah I've been talking to their rep on here asking what I would need and all that jazz.. The prices are great compared to everywhere else, I just don't want to buy a set then have to uninstall and reinstall when I get projectors and its still $80 I won't get back id rather wait til I have everything I need that's all.
Beautiful car too man, love what you've done with it
Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM
AWD > FWD

so for those of you who have installed aftermarket tails I have a question. I just bought some led tails on ebay, and I am having trouble installing the inner tails. The stock ones have threaded posts that a nut holds down and holds the reverse light in tight. On mine, the posts aren't threaded, is there supposed to be some other way of doing this? Pic for reference
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so for those of you who have installed aftermarket tails I have a question. I just bought some led tails on ebay, and I am having trouble installing the inner tails. The stock ones have threaded posts that a nut holds down and holds the reverse light in tight. On mine, the posts aren't threaded, is there supposed to be some other way of doing this? Pic for reference
Look closely in the packaging. There may be some flat rectangular things that just press down over the studs. If so make sure everything is right before you push them down becaquse more often than not they are a one time deal. Bet they came from China.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM
AWD > FWD

I didn't see anything in the box, but it did come from eBay, so I bet they forgot to include them. Got any ideas of what I could use?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look through their speciality hardware cabinets. Try to find a stamped nut. I think they call it a push nut. It's stamped out a piece of sheet tin, for lack of a better term. It doesn't have actual threads only a single edge that will screw down on the plastic and make it's own thread. If you have a neighborhood hardware store, a REAL hardware store, you might want to try them too. I have an old time hardware store down the street from me and if they don't have it it ain't being made anymore. Good luck
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM

use the "nuts" that were on ur old ones. i've reused them before; they should self tap/thread on
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there called speed nuts btw we sell them at my work and an auto parts store would be better

Camaro Parts | GM 3/16 SPEED NUTS | Classic Industries

Originally Posted by Vick
Hey where can i get a pair of these black headlights? everywhere ive checked they want like 300

Hey man where can i get a pair of these headlights? everywhere i checked they want like 300 for em
and i have headlights like those there anzo black housing ones you can buy them from ottp or andysautosport

Last edited by 09sscalicobalt; 09-16-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 PM

or you can buy them here: $206 Anzo Black Headlights - Over The Top Performance
Old 09-16-2010, 10:46 PM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by bobbyhill31286
use the "nuts" that were on ur old ones. i've reused them before; they should self tap/thread on
The nuts are too big for those posts. I'll have to try speed nuts. I'll take my light to the hardware store with me to find ones that fit.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i said ottp and yea hardware store or auto parts store should have them they come in a bunch of different sizes
Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

^^ Yup, TOmmy I just replied to your PM< the stock ones ARE too big for the posts. I called them self-tapping nuts or self-threading nuts. Went and bought a small box of assorted ones, found a few that worked and BAM, they're in! Again, don't screw down too tight. You're screwing into plastic, and after a certain point, you'll just be threading in a straight line lol..

Quick Reply: --||The Official Headlight and Taillight Thread||--