Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

DRL Ballasts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRL Ballasts?

So my retros are almost done, but the ballast aren't supposed to be used with DRL now I normally turn them off during the day but I just let them go at night...

they are morimoto H1 mini but I can't seem to find a ballast that is DRL capable....
Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenySC2
So my retros are almost done, but the ballast aren't supposed to be used with DRL now I normally turn them off during the day but I just let them go at night...

they are morimoto H1 mini but I can't seem to find a ballast that is DRL capable....
Here is a mod I made for that purpose. If you car is the right year it will work

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...lights-312148/

if not there are modules you can buy for like 20+ bucks or more.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM

Or buy a set of LED halo rings are strips, then use a fuse tap on the DRL fuse slot, run that to a relay, then connect the relay to the battery (fuse box positive pole) and the LEDs.

Just a small amperage fuse on the top slot, then a diode in the bottom fuse slot if you want the LEDs to stay on with your low beams.
Name:  20130603_183825.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  249.3 KB

Run the wire to either the 85 terminal or 86 terminal of the relay. Ground the other terminal. If you're OCD, connect that wire to 85, then ground 86. Either way, the polarity on those terminals don't matter. Connect the #30 terminal to the battery, then connect the 87 terminal to your LEDs.
Name:  20130531_184230.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  239.4 KB

Important: Make sure it's inserted this way or it won't work. So you'll have to bend the prongs.
Name:  20130531_184213.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  255.2 KB

As you can tell, I basically made my own relay harness for my LED halos. Been working great with no issues for over a year now.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
I just upped the number from 10 to 20 in my fuse box for my DRL for my 35watt h1 hid and it works.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:46 PM

Why would you want your HIDS to be DRLs. If that's the case just turn them on during the day. You don't want them hooked up to that photocell. Rapidly firing up/turning off bulb/ballast is no bueno
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 PM

You have a spare #20 fuse in your fuse box. Try that before you spend money.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by no_ss
couldn't I just put a 35 fuse in it then?

it's not that I want them to be DRL cause I hate them during the day, I more like the fact I don't have to do crap but turn my car on at night.... I'm lazy
Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 AM

couldn't I just put a 35 fuse in it then? it's not that I want them to be DRL cause I hate them during the day, I more like the fact I don't have to do crap but turn my car on at night.... I'm lazy
DRL doesn't matter. I took my fuse out completely and they don't run during the day but they run at night. I have an 09 cobalt though yours may be different but I don't see why it would. In my fuse box my DRL was a 10. I was told to go no higher than 20 for the fuse. One of my ballasts is bad though and it doesn't co operate with DRL and you can hear it buzz when it's on. (I need a new one but too lazy to order on) and they burnt the 10 fuse when they turned on. I have resistors and it did that because it drew more power. Don't put a 35 fuse in it. If you're talking about your DRLs which should be #10 fuse stock the most I'd go is #20 but the DRLs have nothing to do with your auto light coming on at night. If your lights don't come on automatically I'd say your fuse for that is messed up but idk if there's a fuse for that because I didn't mess around too much with my fuse box just that one fuse because it burnt up.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I just upped the number from 10 to 20 in my fuse box for my DRL for my 35watt h1 hid and it works.
Just no. Putting high AMP fuses is the start of a disaster, fuses are not resistors. All a 10AMP fuse will do is break the circuit when the AMP draw is higher than 10AMPs, same with a 20AMP fuse. So they design the system based off wire diameter and AMP draw of the equipment connected. You are literally asking for an electrical fire by putting a 20AMP fuse in place of a 10AMP. This has no effect on the function of the DRL or the current that is given for the DRL. Please for the safety of your car, put the 10amp fuse back into the DRL location. They do no pull more than 10amps or just removed the DRL fuse completely.

couldn't I just put a 35 fuse in it then?

it's not that I want them to be DRL cause I hate them during the day, I more like the fact I don't have to do crap but turn my car on at night.... I'm lazy
DO NOT listen to that guy. I dont want your car and the beautiful retros I built you to go up in smoke.

If you don't want the DRLs and don't want to mess with turning on/off DRLs just pull the fuse. You wont have DRLs, but the auto lights still work.

If you really really want to keep DRLs here is a potential solution
DRL and HID issue Fix (Keep your DRL's) NO FLICKERING.

As pointed out in post #8 they are not tech DRLs anymore due to the full power headlights.

If you have to have DRLs for inspection, just put the fuse in for the inspection and pull it later a few times a year will no decrease the life of the ballast significantly.

Note about your retros, chips corrected, being sealed later today and they should go out for shipping on Sat.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk

Just no. Putting high AMP fuses is the start of a disaster, fuses are not resistors. All a 10AMP fuse will do is break the circuit when the AMP draw is higher than 10AMPs, same with a 20AMP fuse. So they design the system based off wire diameter and AMP draw of the equipment connected. You are literally asking for an electrical fire by putting a 20AMP fuse in place of a 10AMP. This has no effect on the function of the DRL or the current that is given for the DRL. Please for the safety of your car, put the 10amp fuse back into the DRL location. They do no pull more than 10amps or just removed the DRL fuse completely.

DO NOT listen to that guy. I dont want your car and the beautiful retros I built you to go up in smoke.

If you don't want the DRLs and don't want to mess with turning on/off DRLs just pull the fuse. You wont have DRLs, but the auto lights still work.

If you really really want to keep DRLs here is a potential solution
DRL and HID issue Fix (Keep your DRL's) NO FLICKERING.

As pointed out in post #8 they are not tech DRLs anymore due to the full power headlights.

If you have to have DRLs for inspection, just put the fuse in for the inspection and pull it later a few times a year will no decrease the life of the ballast significantly.

Note about your retros, chips corrected, being sealed later today and they should go out for shipping on Sat.
smart guy right here, also builds one hell of a set of retros!

I'm just pulling the fuse then I don't use day running lights anyways they actually bug me I was just worried about the auto lights....
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what the issue is here? I have HID's that only come on when its dark enough to set off the light sensor. During the day they are off, unless I move the light switch from "Auto" to "On". So if I want HID DLR's I just turn on my lights???

I have Lumens HID conversion kit which comes with a DLR Relay Harness, and I have an 06 LSJ

Im just curious about this....What am I missing here??? lol
Old 10-31-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by UnkleRaRa
I'm trying to figure out what the issue is here? I have HID's that only come on when its dark enough to set off the light sensor. During the day they are off, unless I move the light switch from "Auto" to "On". So if I want HID DLR's I just turn on my lights???

I have Lumens HID conversion kit which comes with a DLR Relay Harness, and I have an 06 LSJ

Im just curious about this....What am I missing here??? lol
iirc the 06 models DRL are the parking lamps not the headlight bulbs.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah ha!

Makes sense. I just assumed that all cobalt headlamp/lighting systems were all the same.

I've never really noticed on other cobalts if the headlights were on during the day or not.

Do you know if there is a fuse I can pull ou that will turn off the ambient light sensor, and just allow you to use the on and off switch for the lights?

I'd like to be able to run my daytime look at night sometimes (off road) without having to stick a flashlight over the sensor, hahaha!

Here's my night look with HID's:
Name:  IMG_20141028_185117853_zpsiqo6vikw.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  27.0 KB

But I would like to be able to have my daytime look at night sometimes:
Name:  IMG_20141028_185745885_zpse6xdsyjz.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  30.6 KB

I'm going to research the fuse box info some more now, and see if its possible.

But I figure I would ask here since someone will probably have an answer quicker than I can read...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:57 PM

You just have to pull the DRL fuse, and then for parking lamps and fogs just turn the switch up one click not 2.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 PM

my car came with a #10 fuse where the DRL is. It burnt up because my ballasts so I put a 20 in and it worked. I don't have DRL though because it's been pulled. A mechanic and many other guys at my work who have built many cars said to go no higher than 20. I'm sorry but I'd rather listen to older guys that have been around longer than you when it comes to certain things.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM

my car came with a #10 fuse where the DRL is. It burnt up because my ballasts so I put a 20 in and it worked. I don't have DRL though because it's been pulled. A mechanic and many other guys at my work who have built many cars said to go no higher than 20. I'm sorry but I'd rather listen to older guys that have been around longer than you when it comes to certain things.
How do you know how long I've been around? You think just because they've built many cars they've been around modern car wiring? Building a car does not mean they understand electric wiring.

The wiring is a specific size for a specific amp draw. Your ballasts should be on a relay designed for HID ballast not a halogen system. Yes a halogen system can run some HIDs, but given you blew the fuse your system should not.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 PM

Because the dudes are 40+
Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 PM

Because the dudes are 40+
So automatically I'm not 40+ because I can work a computer? Your right better trust those who don't know how to use electronics on your automotive wiring.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 PM

So automatically I'm not 40+ because I can work a computer? Your right better trust those who don't know how to use electronics on your automotive wiring.
they use electronics which is the funny thing. Idk why you're so mad, dude. I'm not dissing you or anything it's just all the things they've told me so far have been held to be true. The one guy worked at GM before. He explained to me why the fuse burnt out. I couldn't repeat it word for word but he said if the 20 doesn't work to not go any higher and that it would be pushing it as it is. Yes you're right but the 20 was fine and didn't cause any type of harm when I had it in there.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 AM

they use electronics which is the funny thing. Idk why you're so mad, dude. I'm not dissing you or anything it's just all the things they've told me so far have been held to be true. The one guy worked at GM before. He explained to me why the fuse burnt out. I couldn't repeat it word for word but he said if the 20 doesn't work to not go any higher and that it would be pushing it as it is. Yes you're right but the 20 was fine and didn't cause any type of harm when I had it in there.
Your spreading mis-information. Changing a fuse will not affect how the DRLs work, doubling the AMP draw allowed on a circuit is playing with fire. The fuse burnt out because the AMP draw was greater than the allowed amp draw, therefore breaking the circuit to protect/prevent electrical issues. You literally comment on the reason why I say don't put a 20amp fuse in place of a 10amp fuse, just because it worked fine for you does not mean everyone else will have the same result.

Also news flash, just because someone "worked" at GM does not mean they know about cars. Some of the worst horror stories come from dealerships and their "Certified GM Techs".
Old 11-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Your spreading mis-information. Changing a fuse will not affect how the DRLs work, doubling the AMP draw allowed on a circuit is playing with fire. The fuse burnt out because the AMP draw was greater than the allowed amp draw, therefore breaking the circuit to protect/prevent electrical issues. You literally comment on the reason why I say don't put a 20amp fuse in place of a 10amp fuse, just because it worked fine for you does not mean everyone else will have the same result.

Also news flash, just because someone "worked" at GM does not mean they know about cars. Some of the worst horror stories come from dealerships and their "Certified GM Techs".
I totally agree with Ecaulk. The whole point of a fuse is to prevent damage. For example a 10amp fuse is used if i remember correctly because the car enginners double the draw the wire needs so its probably only using 5 so they give the system a good cushion. By you placing a 20 your just asking for problems simple as that.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just putting out there the BCM controls the auto headlights and drls

Originally Posted by UnkleRaRa
Ah ha!

Makes sense. I just assumed that all cobalt headlamp/lighting systems were all the same.

I've never really noticed on other cobalts if the headlights were on during the day or not.

Do you know if there is a fuse I can pull ou that will turn off the ambient light sensor, and just allow you to use the on and off switch for the lights?

I'd like to be able to run my daytime look at night sometimes (off road) without having to stick a flashlight over the sensor, hahaha!

Here's my night look with HID's:

But I would like to be able to have my daytime look at night sometimes:

I'm going to research the fuse box info some more now, and see if its possible.

But I figure I would ask here since someone will probably have an answer quicker than I can read...
On an 09 just twist the light knob down and it turns auto headlights off.