Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

extending sunvisor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
extending sunvisor?

I did a couple searches here and found nothing - but am hoping that someone here has done this and can give me a heads up on what works best.

My wife's dd is a 2008 Caliber SRT4;
There are a couple things that I prefer about her car, and one of them is the sunvisors;
They work like these:
Now That's How You Do Sun Visors - 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Long-Term Road Test

I was wondering if anyone here has figured out if there is a GM (or otherwise) vehicle that has sunvisors which are drop in replacements for our stockers, and allow this extending feature.

I haven't looked at any recent GM's, but would think that Buick's or Cadillac's should come with this feature - hopefully there is a set of these out there that I can litterally unscrew and remove mine, and install into my car.

Thanks in advance for taking a moment to chime in!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here! I'm spoiled after trading my car for a Terrain so every time I drive the cobalt I keep pulling the visor out of habit haha
Old 04-19-2016, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious as well. I saw some adjustable side shields that you can attach on the sun visors though not sure if they will look good.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this idea, might be time to go check out a scrapyard and have a look
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM

it looks like the Cruze has an extendable sunvisor, does anyone here have a Cruse that htey cam compare the mounting pivot, and distance between the mounting pivot & the latch spot?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah you become spoiled, my ATS had extendo visors to which I loved... and the 3 signal steering stock when you tap it...

...and RWD
Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I hate visors, I never use them. I don't get the fascination.

I love the 3 blink turn signal function though, my benz and the sonic have it. So logical. Almost makes me want to use the turn signals when I change lanes.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I hate visors, I never use them. I don't get the fascination.
What do you mean you don't use them - how can you safely drive without using sun visors?
If the sun is in your eyes, do you just close your eyes and hope to avoid hitting anything?

maybe you're a vampire, and only go out at night?

Come on...
Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
it looks like the Cruze has an extendable sunvisor, does anyone here have a Cruse that htey cam compare the mounting pivot, and distance between the mounting pivot & the latch spot?

Just from comparing the two in the parts catalog you'd have to swap out the retainer on the other side of the headliner that it screws into. And the hole it goes through is a different shape. Other than that I can't tell what else, if anything, might be involved in making it work
Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
What do you mean you don't use them - how can you safely drive without using sun visors?
If the sun is in your eyes, do you just close your eyes and hope to avoid hitting anything?

maybe you're a vampire, and only go out at night?

Come on...
I'm tall and I sit up like a normal person, so the sun has to be almost straight on the horizon in front of me to be in my eyes. I always keep sunglasses in the car anyway, good quality sunglasses help more with the glare anyway. If your windshield is clean you can see just fine even in direct sun using quality driving glasses, without blocking up your viewing area out of the windshield.

It's just a pet peeve, I hate things blocking my line of sight. I don't even like using windshield wipers unless necessary, if I'm riding with someone and they leave them on after the rain basically stops, it really bothers me. I'm retarded like that.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm tall and I sit up like a normal person, so the sun has to be almost straight on the horizon in front of me to be in my eyes. I always keep sunglasses in the car anyway, good quality sunglasses help more with the glare anyway. If your windshield is clean you can see just fine even in direct sun using quality driving glasses, without blocking up your viewing area out of the windshield.

It's just a pet peeve, I hate things blocking my line of sight. I don't even like using windshield wipers unless necessary, if I'm riding with someone and they leave them on after the rain basically stops, it really bothers me. I'm retarded like that.
Agreed. I always just use sun glasses.

Driving with visors down feels so obstructed.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM

this is what I read...
I'm tall and ... I'm retarded

I could see that if you're tall enough, that you could get by without them.
I too use glasses (actually magnetic ones that clip to my prescription glasses), but even then, if the sun is directly in your line of sight, nothing short of high quality welding lenses will block the sun from you...
Also, I don't always sit straight up (lower back stuff), so sometimes a sun visor is very handy for keeping the sun out of my eyes, and it seems as though most often, when I go spin it to use on the side glass, the sun is further back than where the visor reaches;
I guess theoretically I could move my seat forward to an uncomfortable position, but I'd much rather leave my seat where it is, and have the visor extend more rearward.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fsanti87
Just from comparing the two in the parts catalog you'd have to swap out the retainer on the other side of the headliner that it screws into. And the hole it goes through is a different shape. Other than that I can't tell what else, if anything, might be involved in making it work
Can you tell me if all Cruize's have extendable sunvisors - or if only select cars get them?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 PM

As far as I can tell it's a standard feature in all Cruze's but only on the driver side
Old 05-11-2016, 06:24 PM

ok - thanks for your input!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Old pic of my car but I run a 5% tint strip across my windshield. It's lower than the stock sun visor and you can still see through it. Works fantastic cutting the bright sun out. I never use my sun visor.

Name:  photo_zpsda3edf69.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  242.4 KB
Old 05-16-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Old pic of my car but I run a 5% tint strip across my windshield. It's lower than the stock sun visor and you can still see through it. Works fantastic cutting the bright sun out. I never use my sun visor.

*picture removed*
But how does this help, when the sun is to your left?
You can flip the sunvisor to the door, but it invariably doesn't reach far enough back...

I surely don't drive like this:
Old 05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Got Bewst?

Tint your windows. Sunglasses if you need em. I don't think I've ever used my sunvisor.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
My $0.02: I bought a car with a dark tint strip like that and I HATE it. Impossible for me to see the traffic signals at night without bending over. It's the worst.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Tint your windows. Sunglasses if you need em. I don't think I've ever used my sunvisor.
This.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:00 PM

I saw your edit

The trouble is that tint tickets are retardedly expensive, and cops really come down on guys with tint - I know guys who have over a weekend racked up $600+ in tint tickets.
Add the demerits, and jacked insurance, and getting side glass tint loses it's appeal.

Originally Posted by exninja
My $0.02: I bought a car with a dark tint strip like that and I HATE it. Impossible for me to see the traffic signals at night without bending over. It's the worst.
I don't doubt it.

Since my car is my DD, and Ido alot of highway miles, this issue only comes up when the sun is on my side glass - and when the sun is right there, nothing short of welders tint would relieve the annoyance...

This is all that I am trying to achieve;
Old 05-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Got Bewst?

Originally Posted by exninja
Good thing you can see through tint lol.

I saw your edit

The trouble is that tint tickets are retardedly expensive, and cops really come down on guys with tint - I know guys who have over a weekend racked up $600+ in tint tickets.
Add the demerits, and jacked insurance, and getting side glass tint loses it's appeal.
I didn't say you have to illegally tint them. My tint is all legal.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 PM

front door glass tint is illegal.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
front door glass tint is illegal.
Although it would look stupid, your allowed to tint the top 4 inches of the front windows. Thats in michigan at least. If you have contacts or wear glasses, its pretty easy to get a note from your optometrist saying you can have tint wherever because your eyes are "extra sensitive" to sunlight
Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM

nope, around here ANY tint on front glass is illegal.

the only way around it, is if you have a family member who has that sun allergy (I cannot recall what it's called);
If you have a note in your car at all timesto prove that a family member needs this - that is your one "get out of jail card".

Quick Reply: extending sunvisor?