Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

front bumper fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay so today (8.13.07) at (6:18 est) i called gm coprate and talk to a personal and told herer everything about the car.. she said she will send a representative from chevy to take a look so plz if you guys/gals have pictures of your car with the front bumper and headlight problems plz PM with them it will create a better defense to help everyone else out b/c if it works out with me then it will have to work with others.. so someone help me the pics on here will do fine but i know that there is more cobalts out there with this problem.. best regards, gcampobasso
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 PM

it looks terrible i'll have to try this one over the weekend.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by gcampobasso
okay so today (8.13.07) at (6:18 est) i called gm coprate and talk to a personal and told herer everything about the car.. she said she will send a representative from chevy to take a look so plz if you guys/gals have pictures of your car with the front bumper and headlight problems plz PM with them it will create a better defense to help everyone else out b/c if it works out with me then it will have to work with others.. so someone help me the pics on here will do fine but i know that there is more cobalts out there with this problem.. best regards, gcampobasso
Just wanted to say thanks for all your help with this issue man! I PM'd you my pics, they are also on the first page of this thread. Thanks again, keep us updated please.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 AM

okay i think i figured out why we have a problem with the front bumper as everyone knows or should know it is only on the SS models or just the SS/SC but either way the front bumper it different in a few ways first we have the fog lights and the ground effect lip kit so if you take the bumper off the car and or just remove it from the fenders the bumper should be relaxed to be perfect... but one question is unanswered still does anyone think that when they made the front for the SS or SS/SC they made the mold for the front to big and not perfect.. but like i said just some input would be nice just trying to figure out how they could not see such a big problem like that you would have to be blind to miss the headlights not being perfectly aligned you think they would fix it before they made thousands of them and **** but PM or reply thanks guys and or gals

best regards,

gcampobasso

Last edited by gcampobasso; 08-16-2007 at 01:29 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 PM

I have the same issue on my LS and let me tell you it looks horrible. My passenger side is messed up but not the driver side.

I took pictures and will upload them Monday. I can't believe this. Just wait until you see.

Last edited by pdub; 08-17-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM

okay so i went to a cadillac dealer for my escalade and just wanted to ask a different Gm dealer and the guy said Gm is all about taking care of there customers so i hope we all will win in this matter... trust me guys i am trying here for us and for our cars so if you uys can plz call GM and let them kjow whats up the phone number is 1.800.222.1020 - you must have your V.I.N with you and any other info but remember the more complaints the more they have to fix everything. thanks guys/gals

best regards,
gcampobasso
Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 AM

I have the same problem with my 06 ss/sc. i took it to the dealership last year 2 weeks after i bought it and got them to fix it. they said that they realigned the headlight and that it should be ok but i still have the gap on the passenger side. when i went in to complain that the problem isn't fixed right they said that, that is the best they can do. I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT IT
Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Update.

Dealer is going to try and fix it today. The guy gave me the story of you get what you pay for, being that 15K Cobalt will not have the same build quality as a 50K Cadillac.

<Rant>
I understand this to a degree, but to have this same issue with so many cobalts for several years makes me question GM a little. I was proud to get this car and still believe I invested wisely. It doesn't sound good to hear repair folks not believe in their products. I understand there are different classes, but in my opinion, that does not give a reason for different standards with assembly and quality control. That should be a GM wide thing and not reserved for those with 50K cars.
</Rant>

Okay, here are some pictures of my front end of the cobalt. I will post pictures when it comes back.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 PM

okay guys i have got a fix for the bumper it is hard to explain but i will need to get pics i will do so bc i got done and its dark so i promise ill do it... but this will not work for all cobalts do to the shitty work of GM (*******) every cobalt is different so i hope this works for a great majority, and for the guy/gal i am posting under - you spent 15k and got shitty service from GM i spent double and got the same the only thing is that we as a group here dont need them bc they dont give to *****... i have to stop before i go nuts and **** but call me crazy but i was talking to a guy at chevy and he said a few hundred people who complain wont make GM fix it, it has to be several million so lights camera action baby lets go on tv and ream GM a new one i was thinking ABC and FOX for 10 oclock news pretty sure millions will watch and guess what our cars will get fixed after they see that **** but reply bc i am trying to help and eveything counts.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 PM

Okay, first off you need to break up your thoughts and clearly express yourself. I don't know how but you managed to fit so many thoughts in that one paragraph!

Aside from that rant, it appears that a minor headlight and bumper alignment change is all that is needed. I would like to read what you've done though.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 AM

PDUB, nice pic and explanation job man, really nicely done pointing things out, I like it a lot! Your problems are the same my car has. Can't wait to see how she looks when you get her back, for sure post up some pics! Good luck and thanks again for taking the time to share it with us
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by wills07sscoby
PDUB, nice pic and explanation job man, really nicely done pointing things out, I like it a lot! Your problems are the same my car has. Can't wait to see how she looks when you get her back, for sure post up some pics! Good luck and thanks again for taking the time to share it with us
Thanks for the positive feed back

I received my car yesterday. They took off the bumper but I don't believe the messed around with the headlight. I think it might look even worse now. So, I am going to try and mess around with it and see where I can get this to go. I have to make an appointment with the General Manager, as suggested by the Chevy Dealer employees there. I don't understand how there is no recall or TSB for this, as every cobalt has an issue. I will be sure to take some pictures later today and edit this post. Stand by.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:53 AM

first off the dealer doesn't give to **** i worked for service for a year and they only fix things they get paid from and your best bet is a body shop bc they know what to do i got pics of my car and you all will see why the dealer can choke on a D*CK and there is no tsb bc no body is calling in the general motors like i said so if everybody can call and complain GM will have to do something and first the tsb comes then the recall it just bothers me that everybody is not happy with the bumper, after everything that i did my front is perfect why bc i bitched like no other so i suggest everyone do the same....

ill put some pics in the forum*** they are before and after

here is the link to my cardomain

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2683522/1

here you will find my pictures of what i did to fix the problem!!!

Last edited by gcampobasso; 09-03-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 AM

pdub, thanks for keeping us updated! For sure post up some pics when you can.

gcampobasso, first let me just say I DID complain to GM. There is actually what's called a "PI" on this issue, I don't think this is the same as a TSB, but sorta. Anyway, it tells them exactly what to do and talks about the gap in the headlight by the bumper etc...

I took it to my local dealer and they fixed it for me, although I must say it only looks half as nice as yours! Yours looks REALLY good and tight, mine still is not perfect, but it's better to say the least. I am happy with it, but at the same time would love to see it look like yours I will post up before and after pics tomorrow. I checked out your pics and tried to understand what you did to make yours so nice, I don't really understand though. Are you saying ALL you did was mess with one bolt on each side of the bumper, let me know more clearly what ALL you did and I will play with mine more, thanks man!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 PM

yeah i am not a computer guy so i have no idea how to do the highlighting and stuff but its two bolts and a realignment on the headlights and it does fall into place... i think its worse to remove the bumper but to eachs own what i did may not work for all other cobalts so it not a gaurantee but its a job worth trying and it takes about a half hour to an hour out of your time but PM me with questions and or email me at gcampobasso@hotmail.com or hit my cell up 703.944.5344 if i dont answer just leave a message or send a text its better that way so i could describe it a little better before you start... goodluck to all
Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 PM

I called the stealership today and they said it would take less than a hour to fix, and they would do it for free, just bring it in lol guy was a tard tho...

Me: "ya i need to get a gap fixed on my cobalt ss, theres a gap between my headlight at my bumper, and the filter is back there so i need to get it aligned right."

Tech: "Front or back bumper?"
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM

whats funny is that the guys that work at the service dont know anything about a car!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:51 PM

I've got an 07 LS and my bumper looks identical to that shown in pdub's pics.

You know, I can understand that the quality of a $15,000 car isn't as nice as that of a $50,000 one but for all the Cobalts to have a physical defect like this is just crap! Quality and defects are two completely different things!

The dealer I bought mine from is said to have an excellent service department, but we'll see...
Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this issue. I finally got it fixed. The body shop guys didn't have it right the first time around. So a guy in the service shop worked on it while following instructions from the TSB. Looks correct now.

Unfortunately though, the paint is scratched and the plastic is a little distorted from the pressure and misalignment. I suppose I'll let this go for now, as I really don't feel like crying for a new front bumper.

I will post a picture after I wash my car.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM

I took my head light out, adjusted my air filter, put it back on and aligned my bumper, no issues now took 10mins. I did however pop some of the lil black clips on the bumper so i could move it around a bit.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 PM

i have an '07 LS sedan with the same issue. i didn't notice the gaps when i first got the car due to the excitement and my need to show everyone but after my stepfather installed a set of blue headlights just three days later, i noticed and my bumper has been that way since. i thought about taking it in then but i figured the dealer would say my stepfather did it when he changed the bulbs so i didn't bother. the passenger side is pretty much the same as it was before but the driver side gap seems to be getting bigger and the paint is beginning to take a toll. now that i see that i'm not the only one experiencing this, i may just haul it to the dealer after work sometime this week. i'd post pics if i had some from that angle but i don't, at least not yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM

same problem with mine
Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bluecobaltss06
According to GM that bulletin number doesnt exist
Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 PM

Alrighty heres my question, i just got into a small accident with my 07' LS and cracked my front bumper. But instead of replacing it with another bumper for an LS i was wondering if i swaped out for an ss front bumper and get new headlights, would i have the same fitment problems becuase its an ss bumper on an LS?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Den454 I love your sig. Had to show it to my wife! LOL

Quick Reply: front bumper fix