Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Official Retrofit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bspeed
tommy what kit will work the morimoto mini stage 3 DS2 or H1kit?
I would recommend the Mini H1s over the Mini D2s because the Mini's have a much better output
Originally Posted by bobbyjohn681
are these led style halos or is the projector shroud just drilled like that to simulate led look with halo behind it, either way, i love the shroud on this man, mad props bro, nice work, may send mine to ya for work on if you dont mind lol
It's the projector shroud with a halo behind it. Very simple work that you could easily do yourself with just a simple drill bit and some aluminum foil tape. All you would need to do is get 2 E46 extended shrouds, and find a drill bit that fits in the hole without making it any bigger, then just drill out each hole. Then just line up the halo behind it and tape it into place. Takes some time but comes out very nice.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyP
Guess I should post up my new ones

Morimoto Mini H1 projectors with top washers removed (slight color mod)
Morimoto 35w 5000k bulbs with Morimoto 35w ballasts
TRS 9007 relay harness
E46 extended shrouds with 100mm halo
Black Painted Housings

5 Lanes wide!
is this how the e46 extended shroud is, or did u mod to fit halo behind it, love the led look of the shroud either way bro, props

if i ordered could i get you to to the retro mod like this, including ur special bowtie on the turn sig reflector, **** is sexy, i can get at you with a paypal for it or however it could work out, love ur work
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM

I would recommend the Mini H1s over the Mini D2s because the Mini's have a much better output

It's the projector shroud with a halo behind it. Very simple work that you could easily do yourself with just a simple drill bit and some aluminum foil tape. All you would need to do is get 2 E46 extended shrouds, and find a drill bit that fits in the hole without making it any bigger, then just drill out each hole. Then just line up the halo behind it and tape it into place. Takes some time but comes out very nice.
woah, quick response lol, deleted old post and edit new hahaha, my bad, anyway what would it take to get you to retro for me, pm me a number
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 PM
AWD > FWD

is this how the e46 extended shroud is, or did u mod to fit halo behind it, love the led look of the shroud either way bro, props

if i ordered could i get you to to the retro mod like this, including ur special bowtie on the turn sig reflector, **** is sexy, i can get at you with a paypal for it or however it could work out, love ur work
woah, quick response lol, deleted old post and edit new hahaha, my bad, anyway what would it take to get you to retro for me, pm me a number
if you can do the rest of the retro you can easily do this halo mod. All the holes are already there you just gotta drill out the back, and there's plenty of room behind there to mount the halo. Mine was held in place with some aluminum foil tape which I got from Home Depot. I covered the back of the halo in order to block out any light from the back. These are the halos I used

http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...es-pid550.html, in 100 mm size

This is what the shroud normally looks like

Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM

if you can do the rest of the retro you can easily do this halo mod. All the holes are already there you just gotta drill out the back, and there's plenty of room behind there to mount the halo. Mine was held in place with some aluminum foil tape which I got from Home Depot. I covered the back of the halo in order to block out any light from the back. These are the halos I used

CCFL angel eyes - Retro-Solutions Store, in 100 mm size

This is what the shroud normally looks like

i was sayin have you do the whole retro kit, ive never done one and dont feel like snapping my unit lenses...unless there is a real good how to for me to check out then i may give it a shot, and any pics of common problems, like were u drilled to stop fogging and such
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
does trs offer the plastic ring holder for the CCFL like this one above does so it is not as fragile?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

alright i want retro's who wants to trade a set for some chrome 20's that fit our cars? lol
Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM
AWD > FWD

i was sayin have you do the whole retro kit, ive never done one and dont feel like snapping my unit lenses...unless there is a real good how to for me to check out then i may give it a shot, and any pics of common problems, like were u drilled to stop fogging and such
Oh I really don't feel comfortable doing an entire retro for somebody else. Fogging was something I always had an issue with. If you get it sealed up properly you shouldn't have to do any drilling, other than for somewhere to run the wires through the back.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Ight, ill search a how to n give it a shot then lol, no biggie, ill try on a spare set of lights
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Here is my problem. I am trying to hook up my brights from my min h1's and I do not know where this part hooks in

Do you see the wire coming from the projector? Where does it go? Do I splice it in?
Thanks guys!
Tom
Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ssblacksc
Here is my problem. I am trying to hook up my brights from my min h1's and I do not know where this part hooks in

Do you see the wire coming from the projector? Where does it go? Do I splice it in?
Thanks guys!
Tom
thats the shutter control
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Do you have a picture of where this hooks up or what it looks like? I still have no clue where it goes lol
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
it plugs into the harness
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Oh I really don't feel comfortable doing an entire retro for somebody else. Fogging was something I always had an issue with. If you get it sealed up properly you shouldn't have to do any drilling, other than for somewhere to run the wires through the back.
Somewhere, someone started an awful rumor. That is, that you need to scrape out the factory sealant and use RTV..... NO NO NO!

Ive done 3 mini retros, and painted about 8 sets of lights black, and ALWAYS reheated the back of the lights and then just pressed them back together with my hands with gloves on. The factory sealant is the strongest and sets in SECONDS!

I did one retro and spent about 2 hrs removing all the factory stuff then rtv'd them and they would not stay together, i bear hugged them for 30 minutes, nearly had a heart attack, then c clamped them and they both leaked. Ive never had a leak since keeping the factory silicone/glue.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
you need a relay/high beam harness, thats what those plug into.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by breds2k
Somewhere, someone started an awful rumor. That is, that you need to scrape out the factory sealant and use RTV..... NO NO NO!

Ive done 3 mini retros, and painted about 8 sets of lights black, and ALWAYS reheated the back of the lights and then just pressed them back together with my hands with gloves on. The factory sealant is the strongest and sets in SECONDS!

I did one retro and spent about 2 hrs removing all the factory stuff then rtv'd them and they would not stay together, i bear hugged them for 30 minutes, nearly had a heart attack, then c clamped them and they both leaked. Ive never had a leak since keeping the factory silicone/glue.
I reused the stock sealant aswell when I painted my shrouds and have no fogging issues
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM

how come the connected section there isnt part of the relay? usually the female will be a part of the relay and the male is on the projector or vise versa.

I know you said it plugs into the harness but where? You must not get that I do not understand what part of the harness. Lol I have hooked up my retros and they work but I did not know if I had to plug it in somewhere or splice it in. Where do I plug it in. Sorry but am really confused on this. Anyone have a picture of this part that would be greatly appreciated. Again I am a noob at this stuff sorry for the confusion.

Garrett knows what up, people waste hours doing that stuff and then never get the lights sealed right.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive already explained this to you via pm. Remove the pigtail that's attached. Then it plugs to your harness where you have a unplugged connector.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 PM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by ssblacksc
I know you said it plugs into the harness but where? You must not get that I do not understand what part of the harness. Lol I have hooked up my retros and they work but I did not know if I had to plug it in somewhere or splice it in. Where do I plug it in. Sorry but am really confused on this. Anyone have a picture of this part that would be greatly appreciated. Again I am a noob at this stuff sorry for the confusion.
look on your relay harness, there should be an unused plug on both sides, it should look like that plug that you have plugged into the shutter control already with the two wires. That is just a test lead.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Listen I guess this is where maybe you are a pro and I am not and have explained myself as a noob comes in! Don't be a dick! I was asking for a picture if anyone had one but I guess not so I will go and try and plug it into everything in my harness. All we want is stuff to work and work well. I was looking for a visual and with your customer service manual it does not show where anything hooks up. I guess it may be a great idea to have a picture and written explanation on how to install so a ******* like myself won't get confused and bother you. With all of the lights that you make it is a wonder that this does not exist. Anyone else have a good picture? I guess this is the easy part that I am missing somehow lol. Thanks guys even you mkulrey.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
AWD > FWD

It's the plug pictured on the far right here

Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Nice thanks and my rant is done! Lol man I get grouchy with no sleep and being hungry ( sorry new baby in the house) I am a little grouchy. Thanks Tommy now I know at least what to look for. Thanks mkulrey for the info as well and everyone else.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by breds2k

What about that glue strip stuff that the retrofitsource.com sells with their kits? It kinda looks like black weather stripping.

Quick Reply: Official Retrofit Thread