Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Autocross Class for SS/TC with the GM Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha well put Scott.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, I'm running in STX then... I don't plan on running slicks so STX is the only thing I could be competitive in.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm mouning the slicks and going out to play in DSP tomorrow. First time with the GMS1 -- It'll be interesting to see how much 'stick' I get under power...

This is my only opportunity to 'test and tune' before the March event in Mineral Wells, Texas. I'm hoping the GMS1 will be an advantage -- remains to be seen. I'm also hoping it doesn't snow or rain tomorrow -- this is Colorado after all.

Candidly, I'm not sure the GMS1 will be the hot ticket in STX. On my mostly-stock-powered 09 SS (GMS1, Hahn cold air, improved exhaust, Stiffy torque surpressor), it's almost too easy to spin the tires under power. Spinning tires aren't transmitting power to the ground. I can see throttle control being the new big deal for GMS1 cars. I don't know, I guess we'll see...

Scott
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM

So, how did the autocross go with the GMS1 Scott?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by scottherbert
I'm mouning the slicks and going out to play in DSP tomorrow. First time with the GMS1 -- It'll be interesting to see how much 'stick' I get under power...

This is my only opportunity to 'test and tune' before the March event in Mineral Wells, Texas. I'm hoping the GMS1 will be an advantage -- remains to be seen. I'm also hoping it doesn't snow or rain tomorrow -- this is Colorado after all.

Candidly, I'm not sure the GMS1 will be the hot ticket in STX. On my mostly-stock-powered 09 SS (GMS1, Hahn cold air, improved exhaust, Stiffy torque surpressor), it's almost too easy to spin the tires under power. Spinning tires aren't transmitting power to the ground. I can see throttle control being the new big deal for GMS1 cars. I don't know, I guess we'll see...

Scott
Maybe it's because I'm running around with an open dif, but I just assumed that throttle control was a big deal for all of the Cobalts...
Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Illini_06SS
Maybe it's because I'm running around with an open dif, but I just assumed that throttle control was a big deal for all of the Cobalts...
With the slight turbo lag (it's ever-so-slight) it's just enough to not to have to worry about the throttle precision. The LSD also helps with that. Slight throttle during tight corners the LSD really helps.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz65
With the slight turbo lag (it's ever-so-slight) it's just enough to not to have to worry about the throttle precision. The LSD also helps with that. Slight throttle during tight corners the LSD really helps.
Hey John, You been AutoXing lately? According to this discussion and my new intercooler I think I am DSP now, but I'm not sure, as I haven't been keeping up lately. I'm going to the MirrorKhana event this Saturday though, so that should be fun. Hope to see you there!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Still wondering about if any autocross guys think they have benefited from a tune? To STX or not to STX? That is the question.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GMS1 isn't STX legal. It's quite clear. Not even close guys.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:05 PM

"Reprogrammed ECU (via hardware and/or software) may be used
in the standard housing. Traction control parameters may not be
altered. Altered engine controllers may not alter boost levels in
forced induction engines. Alternate software maps which violate
these restrictions may not be present during competition, regardless
of activation."

I see it as a gray area. We can boost 21psi stock. So, a tune boosting no more than that would be.......well I'm not sure. But, I'm kinda leaning towards a no. I would feel like I was cheating. So conflicted!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not a grey area. If you take a stock SS/TC and run it next to a GMS1 SS/TC at the same time, the GMS1 car will request more boost to make more power.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
It's not a grey area. If you take a stock SS/TC and run it next to a GMS1 SS/TC at the same time, the GMS1 car will request more boost to make more power.
That's hearsay. GM hasn't told us that the GMS1 calls for more boost.

Boost changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifications are permissible

The ecu has been reprogrammed for more air and fuel. More boost is an indirect result.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM

That's what I was thinking.

I wanna post this on SCCAforums but afraid no one would understand how our ECUs work
Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jboogie
So, how did the autocross go with the GMS1 Scott?
So..., I've been debating (with myself - short conversation) how to answer this.

So it's a cold day (about 38), really dirty asphalt, dirty cold slicks, trying 450 lb springs front and back (per one suggestion) and a swaybar added.

The way I usually do things is to go like hell the first run -- really, really push the corners, if you spin out, no big deal, lay on the gas hard, so at least you have a good idea what the course will handle and you have at least two more runs to get it right. It you go to a Nationals, you'll see this method a lot.

On the 3rd corner (left) I lost it big time. 1. I entered the corner faster than I'd ever been able to in the past (more acceleration), 2. under power in 2rd I started spinning the fronts (remember, I'm on 285/30 x 18 Hoosiers), and everything got loose at once -- front and back. I left the course 90 degrees from the direction of travel, put both feet in (clutch and brakes), and barely slowed down.

So I punted a curb at the edge of the course, blew the right front Hoosier, didn't do anything to the alignment (it's been checked already), didn't hurt the rim - it's straight, but I think I pushed the right LCA back because there's a caster variance that says the right front is now more straight up and down (I hit it almost straight-on). Nothing's bent, or cracked, or otherwise pranged in any way. I've been over it with a fine toothed comb. (I'm going the 'adjust' the right front LCA this weekend.) It drives just fine; I'm impressed with how tough it is!

I went into the pits, got under the car and checked everything, put my STX 245s on the car, and ran three more runs without incident. But I definitely tip-toed that first street-tire-run. Otherwise, I love it! WOW, does it accelerate! It's almost shocking with the Hoosiers - even spinning, they stick so much harder than street tires - it really plants you in the seat...

Before GMS1 - stock except for a Cold Air and Cat Back, on a straight section, on the floor in second (in the power band), there was no tire spin (also mostly true in the corners). Now, still on 285s, I can spin the slicks in second under power pretty readily on the straights or in the corners. That's why I was mentioning having to go back to throttle control in an earlier post; I had been used to sticking the pedal on the floor most of the time. It might still be OK with hot, sticky tires, on a summer road - I'll have to see.

Scott

That's what I was thinking.

I wanna post this on SCCAforums but afraid no one would understand how our ECUs work
Some questions are best left unasked...

Scott

Last edited by scottherbert; 04-02-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 PM

probably right.............to late just interested in other perspectives.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/410823/...ad.aspx#410823

Thanks Scott. You input is always appreciated. Maybe with the added power you would benefit from some more rear spring?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 PM

I've defended my car locally:

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...start=10&rid=0
Old 04-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Watched your vids. That starter really gets into it doesn't he!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDOiSg0-c8
Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 AM

probably right.............to late just interested in other perspectives.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/410823/...ad.aspx#410823

Thanks Scott. You input is always appreciated. Maybe with the added power you would benefit from some more rear spring?
Don't know. I've used rears as stiff as 650 lbs without the GMS1. I'll probably try other combos in the future because I wasn't overwhelmed by the last setup. Some of this depends on whether or not an added rear sway is of value. I've had a hardcore bar on order since last December and I'm still waiting on delivery from OTTP.

So, based on what's going on in SCCA circles, it seems like others are asking the same questions and I think getting the same answers.

Final quick note: I loosened the LCA bolts on the right side (it was pushed back a little) and pushed the LCA back forward. I think this solves my caster issues.

Scott

Last edited by scottherbert; 04-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:30 PM

good to hear you didn't have any permanent damage.

So, glad winter is over and racing season has begun!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 AM

Watched your vids. That starter really gets into it doesn't he!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDOiSg0-c8
Baaahahahaha yeaaa, he's a character.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by scottherbert
Don't know. I've used rears as stiff as 650 lbs without the GMS1. I'll probably try other combos in the future because I wasn't overwhelmed by the last setup. Some of this depends on whether or not an added rear sway is of value. I've had a hardcore bar on order since last December and I'm still waiting on delivery from OTTP.
So, based on what's going on in SCCA circles, it seems like others are asking the same questions and I think getting the same answers.

Final quick note: I loosened the LCA bolts on the right side (it was pushed back a little) and pushed the LCA back forward. I think this solves my caster issues.

Scott
I hope they are listening to this stuff somewhere. I keep hearing these stories, Now I'm very hesitant to order from them. Gonna go full stiff on the rear shocks and see if I can go with out a rear bar upgrade until this issue seems to get worked out.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM

maybe the discussion shouldnt be is the gms1 a mod, when people can order it with the car new from factory and installed before it ever leaves dealer lot, since it is a build option would it than be considered stock!? its from GM not an outside source, and its listed as just an option on the 2010's and available for all 08 and 09's.....
Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM

I believe it will make a difference, because if i remember right the redline is increased from 6300~ to 7000~(correct me if i'm wrong please).

I know for the courses that i will be competing on that this will allow me to shift less. which i believe will impact my driving.

Last year i found i had to shift to third then have to shift back to second not long later, so im thinking this will make a difference.

Just my Two cents
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChevySKIDOO
I believe it will make a difference, because if i remember right the redline is increased from 6300~ to 7000~(correct me if i'm wrong please).

I know for the courses that i will be competing on that this will allow me to shift less. which i believe will impact my driving.

Last year i found i had to shift to third then have to shift back to second not long later, so im thinking this will make a difference.

Just my Two cents
Actually 6350 to 6500. Not that much. It went up to 7000 on the LSJ Stage I (I had one of them).

Scott
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM

I race in the STX class and I have the GSM1.

Quick Reply: Autocross Class for SS/TC with the GM Upgrade