Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

AutoX Wheels & Tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM
OBZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using the BFG KDW2 in a 255/40/17 on a 9" wheel. I like them, but I want to get a set of RS3's for the front. Can't seem to find anybody with them in stock though..

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by OBZ
I have been using the BFG KDW2 in a 255/40/17 on a 9" wheel. I like them, but I want to get a set of RS3's for the front. Can't seem to find anybody with them in stock though..

Really limiting yourself with those bfg's, they are good for wear and for the price but if you spend more you get a **** ton more grip. 255 looks a lil bubbly too.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
That's not what I have experienced. On track maybe, but for autocross they like heat. RS3's are the best street tire for autocross, in my opinion. They are also the cheapest, at least in 255.
I was running 225 RS3's on a 7" wheel with a Saturn Astra last year and was having to spray them with water during July and August of last year. This was with a co-driver, so the car was seeing a lot of runs. Unfortunately, my pictures of the smeared tires are AWOL I'm not the only one to have noted this; you can find others who have commented on this.

As for best tire, Grassroots Motor Sports did a lot of testing and ended up with the Rival & Z2 coming out above the RS3. However, as you mentioned, they are cheap and you're only giving fractions of a second over the top dog tires.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FooBag
I was running 225 RS3's on a 7" wheel with a Saturn Astra last year and was having to spray them with water during July and August of last year. This was with a co-driver, so the car was seeing a lot of runs. Unfortunately, my pictures of the smeared tires are AWOL I'm not the only one to have noted this; you can find others who have commented on this.

As for best tire, Grassroots Motor Sports did a lot of testing and ended up with the Rival & Z2 coming out above the RS3. However, as you mentioned, they are cheap and you're only giving fractions of a second over the top dog tires.
I never run with a co-driver, so that's valid point. They hooked up great at the last couple events that were 90+.

Either way, any of those three tires will result in a fun time.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:50 AM
OBZ

Originally Posted by m33pm33p
Really limiting yourself with those bfg's, they are good for wear and for the price but if you spend more you get a **** ton more grip. 255 looks a lil bubbly too.
I agree with that. I got them more for a street tire, but really started autoxing more this year. My last event I won STX and got 3rd in Pax. STX is a tough class around here too. The normal top 3 in that class have competed nationally.

I have another set of these wheels with drag radials on them. Once I can find some RS-3's in stock I will swap those over to the front for events. I don't think I need any more tire in the rear.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Ehh the Rivals are nice, but they were deisgned for heavier cars. they work great on rwd or awd, but a lot of the honda guys running them down here have not found success
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Konig britelites with falken summer tires. Off brand tires in the rear
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Foximus
Ehh the Rivals are nice, but they were deisgned for heavier cars. they work great on rwd or awd, but a lot of the honda guys running them down here have not found success
I ran the 225/45/17 Rivals this summer on Saab 9-3 17" wheels. Great results overall for me. I finished 2nd out of over 60 cars for the season in the Boston BMW G Stock class (GS). The only car that beat me was a Miata running a Rival as well.

I did struggle to figure out how much pressure is needed in the fronts though. I tended to run around 38 psi in the fronts and would still get a lot of tire roll. That's partly due to my driving style which is from a SC C5 Corvette. Apples to oranges when it comes to driving fast!

Needless to say the little SS earned a ton of respect from all of the German and Japanese car crouds.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by OBZ
I agree with that. I got them more for a street tire, but really started autoxing more this year. My last event I won STX and got 3rd in Pax. STX is a tough class around here too. The normal top 3 in that class have competed nationally.

I have another set of these wheels with drag radials on them. Once I can find some RS-3's in stock I will swap those over to the front for events. I don't think I need any more tire in the rear.
Based on the mods in your sig you are wayy out of STX -- don't get me wrong my intercooler is illegal but I'm still stock tune and only running regionally. At a national event someone would be throwing paper over that, just so you know. You could put some 265 hoosier A6s on those and play in SMF (i have no idea what the tire restrictions are so I might be talking out my azz).