Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Lightweight Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt
about 130/140 before i hit the big bank i get up high and dip down low and i dunno the banking degrees i think its 40 or 45 lol its nascar course so yea and yea its a scary feeling and i wanna get better at driving and turn off esc and traction control but not with that bank there ya know lol

and im only running hardcore bar not even xxx yet lol
Oh, turn that stuff off. I hate when I forget to turn it off. I feel it by the time I'm trying to power out of the first turn, and end up swearing up and down while I hold it down for the next 15 seconds. Really though, it is pretty invasive even on flat turns. I can't imagine would it would do if it detects yaw or slip on the bank.

Even with everything off, the car will pull back power once in a while. It's only when it hits super high loads though, like 300% logged. You can hear and feel it. It's usually something that only happens at lower RPM when you're in a slightly too high of a gear, like if you don't downshift to second gear, and leave it in 3rd, and dip down kinda low in RPM, like 3000, maybe lower. I don't recall.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM

haha ill try it tomorow just scared lol thats why i wanna do an auto x soon so i can take it off and not have to worry about hitting a wall just about hitting cones lol

and haha i do that too im driving for a few laps and im like oh **** not in competition mode oh wells lol
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Even with everything off, the car will pull back power once in a while. It's only when it hits super high loads though, like 300% logged. You can hear and feel it. It's usually something that only happens at lower RPM when you're in a slightly too high of a gear, like if you don't downshift to second gear, and leave it in 3rd, and dip down kinda low in RPM, like 3000, maybe lower. I don't recall.
I have experienced the same thing. Kind of spooky, last thing I want the car to do is cut power sideways mid-corner.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangspeed
I think both Sparco and NRG have direct fit hubs. I think the Sparco one is part # 2099, but you'd better check, or get it somewhere with a good return policy like OG Racing.

As far as the code goes, you'll probably have to fab up some resistors to plug in. Not sure what this car requires to turn the light off. Measure the stock airbag connectors for resistance. If you can find plugs to fit into the stock harness that's even better. Then you won't have to hack either the airbag wiring, or the car's airbag harness.

edit: CED can probably help you with the plug for the airbag, if you send Tom a pic. If he can't, no one can
sparco and momo hubs wont fit and you cant add material to them to make them fit. I have these hubs and have looked at rescuing them. Aintgonnahappen.com. I do a hub that works, its expensive but that is what happens when you make a good part and cut splines in it. Dont want to screw up the steering in a persons car.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 PM

how expensive is it john and do your horn buttons work or is that for the nitrous lol
Old 09-18-2011, 06:13 AM

I've seen folks on here use NRG and one Sparco.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/1873695-post12.html
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/1929984-post13.html

Did this guy monkey it on? There's always NRG I guess.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor

the sparco hub has no master spline. I have checked them exhaustively. There is only one sparco hub for chevrolets listed, and none for cobalt listed with a master spline. I even checked the boxes at Johnson Research and Performance, a BIG online source here in Toronto. IF you machined out a slot where the master spline is in the hub, maybe that would work, but i would be scared to remove a percentage of the spline engagement.
I am not sure if its worth the effort to post pictures of the steering column... oh well.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt
how expensive is it john and do your horn buttons work or is that for the nitrous lol
i can get the hubs down to about 175 if I do 15-20 at a time. The steering wheel is 2 inches closer than stock which suits me. One button is for horn, one is for PTT for track to pit radio.

I have an accessory wheel plate for cruise switching but I did not bother with it at this time as it was not working with the tune I had anyway.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The NRG hub/qr/wheel will direct fit. A shop back home has done one or two. It's one of the things I have considered. Unless John's hub comes out.. I wouldnt mind the wheel being a little closer to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM

meh i dont want to lose cruise control and all my sound controls haha maybe later when its full race car like johns!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Foximus
The NRG hub/qr/wheel will direct fit. A shop back home has done one or two. It's one of the things I have considered. Unless John's hub comes out.. I wouldnt mind the wheel being a little closer to me.
the only guy I know who did that is blazin22 Josh R., in florida and he said that he had a momo hub machined to take the q-d etc or something. My hub is "out" I have been making them since 2004. The point is to find something on the shelf that peeps can buy for under a 100 dollars and sparco and momo dont make one. Its a thankless task with no profit, you lose the air bag, which for some peeps is not a good thing, and its not cheap for labor and expertise to wire in the information and cruise buttons on the later model Cobalts. So I would rather not bother with it to tell the truth. But I carry a hub in stock at any time pretty much.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info John, I will call. Also guys if you can keep this to lightweight parts not driving techniques.
In reference to weight and power. Scott I understand what your saying, however my goal in saving weight is to improve acceleration, braking as well as transition. Your right, we do not need more power, however if we can get lighter that would be a plus. I think I can get in the 2700 lb range legally which would put us in a ver good position against the BMW's in DSP. I belive they cannot get below 3200. We have more power and less weight, and equal tire size. To me, reducing weight as well as our other attributes will put is in the hunt next year.

Slowbalt
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM

only thing ive done to lose weight is cf hood and trunk id love a full replacement cf roof but its too expensive and id have to have full cage or at least a hoop with it i drive my car everyday so when i go to track i just strip out my trunk but eventually ill probably gut the whole interior minus door panels and dash lol
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spank
I think I can get in the 2700 lb range legally which would put us in a ver good position against the BMW's in DSP. I belive they cannot get below 3200. We have more power and less weight, and equal tire size.
Slowbalt
The E36 BMWs are already in the 2700 lb. range in DSP. Even an E46 can pretty easily get WAY under 3000. I don't think the Cobalt can ever be competitive nationally in DSP, locally competitive though.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Aubele
The E36 BMWs are already in the 2700 lb. range in DSP. Even an E46 can pretty easily get WAY under 3000. I don't think the Cobalt can ever be competitive nationally in DSP, locally competitive though.
You may be correct, as much as I'd like to ignore it.

So, I'm considering buying an F Mod car, I'm not a fan of snowmobile engines, so maybe a Formula V with a 1600cc autocross spec engine, 0 roll rear end, bigger slicks. I used to build air cooled VW motors, mine used to last, so maybe that's the next car for me - it would be a lot cheaper to maintain and operate than the Cobalt... But If I could find a reasonbly priced Formula Ford I would do it too.

Who knows...
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Mark, thanks for the info, I did not know they were down that low. I will try for one year to see how the car does. I can say, the BMW's well prepared are great driving cars.

Boy, I did not know they were down to 2700 lbs though. That was my goal to get in that range. Boy, am I bummed now.

I may have to switch the motor in my corvette and do ASP!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Mark, thanks for the info, I did not know they were down that low. I will try for one year to see how the car does. I can say, the BMW's well prepared are great driving cars.

Boy, I did not know they were down to 2700 lbs though. That was my goal to get in that range. Boy, am I bummed now.

I may have to switch the motor in my corvette and do ASP!
I've seen some of the local DSP BMWs weighing about 2600.

If you want to get serious about weight reduction (which is what the local BMW people have done) remove the air conditioning system and all of its parts, remove the heater and all of its part, and remove the sound system and all of its parts -- now you're beginning to lose weight -- all of this ia legal according to SCCA in DSP.

Scott
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by scottherbert
If you want to get serious about weight reduction (which is what the local BMW people have done) ....remove the heater and all of its part....all of this ia legal according to SCCA in DSP.

Scott
Removing the heater IS NOT LEGAL in SP.

http://www.scca.com/documents/2011%2...lo%20Rules.pdf

Page 92, near the bottom. You cannot touch the heater.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Ditto the above Scott, must retain the heating system, however AC is ok.

Spank
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Ditto the above Scott, must retain the heating system, however AC is ok.

Spank
Oops, sorry.

Scott
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Hey Scott, lets get 330I and do DSP or STX. Did you notice on the SCCA forum that a BSP evo was just sold?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Hey Scott, lets get 330I and do DSP or STX. Did you notice on the SCCA forum that a BSP evo was just sold?
Ah, the temptation is strong...

Scott
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Hey Scott, lets get 330I and do DSP or STX.
If you guys are interested, I can link to an interesting build thread (Vorshlag's) of an E46 DSP car.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM

If you guys are interested, I can link to an interesting build thread (Vorshlag's) of an E46 DSP car.
Probably not really. I've already invested a lot into the Cobalt and I won't be able to recover those dollars for a while.

I can tell you, however, that several of the local/national BMWs are on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owners. The cars were professionally built and campaigned successfully by other people before they were sold to the current owners.

Bottom line, so we're talking about professionally sorted-out cars, professoinally built (SCR, BIMMERHAUS, etc.) cars, driven successfully by the original owners, and now owned/driven by someone else -- it's not exactly the same thing as one of us fixing-up our Cobalt and competing against these cars/owners. We're running against vehicles that have been prepped and winning for years -- as many as 6-8 years in some cases.

It's a hard row to hoe, not impossible, but definitely hard...

I'll probably keep trying with my Cobalt if for no other reason than I've built is myself and I really want to surprise those BMWs some day...

Scott
Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by scottherbert
Probably not really. I've already invested a lot into the Cobalt and I won't be able to recover those dollars for a while.

I can tell you, however, that several of the local/national BMWs are on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owners. The cars were professionally built and campaigned successfully by other people before they were sold to the current owners.

Bottom line, so we're talking about professionally sorted-out cars, professoinally built (SCR, BIMMERHAUS, etc.) cars, driven successfully by the original owners, and now owned/driven by someone else -- it's not exactly the same thing as one of us fixing-up our Cobalt and competing against these cars/owners. We're running against vehicles that have been prepped and winning for years -- as many as 6-8 years in some cases.

It's a hard row to hoe, not impossible, but definitely hard...

I'll probably keep trying with my Cobalt if for no other reason than I've built is myself and I really want to surprise those BMWs some day...

Scott
Most of the national BMWs have unreal amounts of money dumped into them as well. If I was trying to build a nationally competitive autocross car for a reasonable amount of money, it would most definitely not be a DSP car. I agree with you. I was mostly offering up the link to discourage anyone from jumping into a build, probably better to just purchase a winning car.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Parts