Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

My latest Autocross event

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My latest Autocross event

Hey all you cone-killers out there....

I just ran my latest event... Steel Cities Region (SCR) event #6.. At Beaver run Motorsports Complex ( 8-13-06 )

Finished 7th in Streeet Tire ( out of 11 ), but had been as high as 5th at one point.

This is my 4th Auto-X.

So far in the region, I'm in 7th overall for the year in Street Tire, and in the top 100 ( 73rd I think... out of 200+ Drivers ) for the year in overall points.

While I'm not all THAT concered with those stats, I DO check them to see where I am in relation to others so I can have goals to improve on.

I posted some pics in the gallery that our local Photo guy took that day.

Had a blast.

Now I gotta wait 2 more weeks until the next event..
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 AM

Good work...what exactly are u allowed to mod in the classes u are in?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 AM

So far, from what I can tell by reading the rules, and talking to others....

Things you CAN do....

Upgrade tires, as long as they are street tires and the same size as stock.
Same goes for wheels...

You are allowed to change the shocks, but I'm a bit fuzzy on just what you are and aren't allowed. I know a guy that put Koni adjustables on his, but not sure just what the limits are..

NO CAI---- but you ARE allowed to change the filter.

NO Strut braces I didn't have my rear one on for this event, but they never looked under the car anyway.

Cat-back exhaust is OK, but no headers. No Cat-deletes ( again, they might look, but so far no looks ). As you all know.. I'm still stock anyway..

Have to have the stock interior, etc... no 5 pt belts, etc...

Allowed to upgrade the sway bar ( I think ) and you are allowed to change to better pads, but no rotor upgrades, no Braided brake lines to the caliper, no claiper upgrades, etc...

No Short throw shifters.

There's alot more that I know I'm missing...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 AM

What about a downpipe?...cat is in it

Get some avon tech r's (i think that is what they are called)...they have 2 lines down the center but are basically slicks BUT are street approved bwahaha.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djt81185
What about a downpipe?...cat is in it

Get some avon tech r's (i think that is what they are called)...they have 2 lines down the center but are basically slicks BUT are street approved bwahaha.
I believe I was told no-go on those. The Tech-R's are what I have. Some regions will allow you to run in stock class with them on, but not in STS, STX, or ST. It goes by treadwear rating I believe, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Yes... I think the downpipe is a no no as well. I'm still learning the ins and outs. Some tech guys are really thorough, and some are not. I think that if I'm in stock class, and getting my ass tromped on... they'd never say a word, but if I was running away... especially with the SS vs a WRX... then they'd be checking it out...

And on to the R-comps.... All depends on the region. SCR DOES allow R-comps and still remain in stock class, but others do NOT. PLUS... I don't even think you could fit r-comps on those 18" wheels. To remain in stock class, the wheel's dimensions must me the same as the OEM set...Although, I did read you're allowed a slight variance in offset.. not much though.

Once you get into STS, STX, then you have to still run a street tire becasue you are allowed to change the wheel and tire size. If you change to an R-comp... welcome to Street Mod ( SM )

Next year, I'll most likely get thrown into STS/STX depending on what I do to the car. Who knows... it may stay stock next year as well. I might just push the car to the DS limits.

Definately getting better tires for it next year. These are great DD tires, but to Auto-X, they are so/so. But I knew that when I bought them.

We need to get a good cheering section together for those of us that ARE running in the Washington Cty race in 2 weeks...

Alicia.. did you send your APP in yet??

Anyone else that wants to do it, better do it before it fills up.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM

I'll be sending mine in. I may have to borrow a helmet.