Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Next moves to get competitive in STX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next moves to get competitive in STX

So I think I am going to go down the long and possibly fruitless road that is STX. I am currently running in STU (apparently they had no idea how to class my car) but I found out quickly that prepped STi's are quite fast and I mind as well sit in the proper class for my displacement.

I also found out I am illegal in stu/stx anyway currently as I have a catless DP and aftermarket intercooler (stock tune).

New plans include: swapping with someone for a stock IC + some cash, welding a cat (least restrictive I can find, any suggestions??) into the 3" downpipe to be class legal. Once I get there...

17x9 team dynamics w/ 255/40 17 rivals
SS brake lines and dot 5 fluid
YYzV.2
HC Bar
Rear konis only first until stock front struts blow.
Some sort of camber adjustment?

Then I really want to know if anyone has had any success tuning within the confines of the class. What can we get away with? I'm thinking a 16-17 psi tune would fly under the radar as the stock tune will spike there anyway occasionally. I feel like the WRX's have a big advantage here as they gain benefits from a tune without modifying the boost tables, but it is not so simple with the SS. Maybe a rule change is in order or we can write to the SCCA and see about getting guidelines for a tune because honestly I think it is BS that the wrx gets such an advantage from an intake, DP and accessport.

I am looking to be as competitive as possible, someone currently running in STX feel free to chime in with any suggestions.

Thanks!!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
why not stf so you are not competing with the all wheel drive cars?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM

havent considered stf, I'll have to look into the guidelines for that class.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Makes more sense. You're putting yourself at a disadvantage running agains all wheel drive cars. Makes more sense to be running against only front wheel drive. And that puts you in a class where you have a distinct horsepower advantage already, so you don't need to even think about cheating with your tune. You can more than easily win stock.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM

I wouldnt consider it cheating more than the "boost creep" downpipes that the wrx's run along with their tune. It is just that with the learn down we are at a significant disadvantage since no bolt on (allowed) modifications garner any power benfit.

AFAIK stf is for lower powered cars, and I'm not sure my car would fit into the class. Also the way that FWD cars are helped in STX is by allowing larger tire sizes than the awd cars are allowed.

Also STX fits closely with the way I plan to modify my car going forward, as I plan on adding springs, swaybars etc for track duty and daily driving. If I am able to run STF then I would be at a huge advantage as all the info I could find pointed at mazda 2's being the car to have for that class as of '12.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

bullshit. As soon as you start using phrases like "fly under the radar" it's cheating. Explain it any way you want, lie to yourself if you want, but it is what it is.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 AM

Well when you put it that way...

I see what you are saying, but in no way do I plan on ruining the sanctity of the sport by trying to pull the wool over anyo7nes eyes. I just feel like there should be some concession for vehicles that do not benefit from class allowances. If the organization wants to grow they need to work to make the competition close!

I do not have the car prepped yet so I do not know what, if any, performance gap there will be between my car and stx competition, I was just posing a question. I am serious about being competitive regionally and I really want to go to nats. I was hoping to bait a response from someone who had already identified ways to increase power slightly within the limits of the clsss.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by GR1VLET

AFAIK stf is for lower powered cars, and I'm not sure my car would fit into the class. Also the way that FWD cars are helped in STX is by allowing larger tire sizes than the awd cars are allowed.

In the last few auto crosses I found that having my tune on didn't exactly make my car much faster since the useable point of power is a little higher in the rpm band(traction) and I couldn't get on throttle as fast getting out of the corners. I'm an amateur driver as well so that plays into it, but take it with some salt as the tune is good for 304whp and 340wtq.

It seems like the tire thing for fwd cars is a possible answer to your problem.. Since awd has the advantage they give you bigger tires, which are worth more than a power increase I would say, tires can make or break your course time if you have all the grip in the world.

Lifes unfair, so just get out and race because I know it brings a smile to anyone's face beating their own lap time on the cone course, let alone winning.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM

I race my SS/TC in STX and have been somewhat competitive locally, with a couple 1st's and a lot of 2nd's this year. I'd highly recommend going with the XXX bar instead of the HC; you can never have enough rear bar with these cars. The XXX has not caused any issues with daily driving for me. I've got camber bolts and had my strut bolt holes slotted to get up to -2.7 camber up front and I am still destroying the outside edges of my tires. I'm running the 255 Rivals right now and honestly, will probably be buying Hankook R-S3's when these wear out. I do not believe the Rival's are worth the $70 per tire price premium.

For a tune, you just need to get rid of the learn down that's present in the stock tune so that you can actually gain HP from the DP, intake, etc that you do. As mentioned, increasing the boost via the tune is cheating. The WRX definitely does not have as much as an advantage as what you think. Locally, my goal is to finish with 2 seconds of a fully prepped, national level driver driven RX8 as I cannot touch his times unless he's coning a lot.

As for the STF recommendation above, there is only certain vehicles allowed in this class; the Cobalt is not one, no even in NA form. It's for low HP vehicles, like the Mazda 2, Honda Fit, etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM

I'm thinking about going with the big bar first. I think I might try out the new road tire stock class next year with just the bar and tires.That way I can work on saving for the rest of the parts plus 12 weeks on the wheels from the UK... I also have a class-illegal 3" catless dp that needs a cat welded in and I need to swap back to stock intercooler so those are my priorities I'm thinking. Road tires should shake up D stock next year or so I hope.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

It's going to be interesting to see the results of this change, for sure.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Out of curiosity what would a turbo 2.2 fall into? STX or a higher class? Also what are the widest tires you can run on SS/NA wheels (I also have LNF and IRL wheels but their my summer and winter set respectively).
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
On a 7" rim I wouldn't go wider than 225 on a 7.5 I wouldn't go wider than 245. It starts to cause tire pucker and reduces your contact patch and increases tread wear. Many people go overkill with wide tires and not a wide enough rim.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 AM

Guess I'll just get 225/45/17 autocross slicks then.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
Out of curiosity what would a turbo 2.2 fall into? STX or a higher class? Also what are the widest tires you can run on SS/NA wheels (I also have LNF and IRL wheels but their my summer and winter set respectively).
Adding a turbo to a non-turbo car would put you in SMF (street modified FWD).
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM

I found that out a while back after searching the rules a bit, thanks for the answer though.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM

No problem SCCA rules arent friendly when it comes to adding boost.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Well at least I've done enough suspension work to be viable... I think.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

I was competitive in SMF with my TC. Didn't win, didn't embarrass myself. Chris Hoffman won pretty regularly with his SC'd Cobalt in SMF down here.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 PM

I have no doubt that a Cobalt with decent suspension can do well locally in SMF. Hell I have thought about running above my class in SMF just because many folks playing there didnt intend to be there, but inadvertently modded themselves there. However, for regional and national competition, I think the Honda guys will be hard to beat.