Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Official: Autocross and Road Racing Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
no front bar is the way the first cobalt race cars ran. the front bar effects the rear and vice versa. increasing front spring rate will tend to make the car understeer more, and so does a front bar on turn in. so removing the front bar in that case is now a wash.
the zzp and progress and other bars with a tab attachment yield at the tab so the effect in torsion is minimized. as for material unless its treated steel the only material that makes sense is chrome moly. its all about elastic and plastic qualities of metal and its been covered in other threads on here.

at the end of the day its what works for you and what you can afford. Clearly the most successful combinations include YYZ and Powell rear bars, along with spherical joints and large wheel combinations. I tend to balk at more than a 245/40 section tire but the pro auto x ers run some crazy 255/275 etc combinations that work well.

and win

autox is a very small microcosm in terms of handling with ultra slow speed and tight configurations. So some setups become extreme to suit.

I venture to say that the Powell stuff works out as the fastest for the most people with the best bang for the buck, and generates the most success, from wangspeed through whitnith. speedbuggy omiotek to yellowss colordude et al... and Yellowss as a rookie has kicked butt all year in some very large classes
Old 10-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats ssyellow to you, Mr. Powell

The setup works with a good driver, no denying that. I'm still rocking stock FE5 struts/shocks, although recently replaced. Unfortunately I haven't had time to do an event in a while due to other things going on.

Had to take the XXX bar off to do something and now realize how planted it use to feel with it on. Really a night and day difference of turn in and feeling planted.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:20 PM

I thought I had replied to the question about what bar people use, or maybe it was somewhere else... In any case...

I run the little Street bar still, which I believe you can't even buy now. It sounds weird, but I think my trailer hitch also helps, since it is also bolted to the frame across the rear end.

The car handles amazingly, Road America really doesn't need any more bar than this. And since I do the overwhelming majority of my track time there, it works for me.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 AM

rule 1, run what works for you so you are comfortable, rule 2 comfortable set up will help lap times. Always better to let the speed come on it's own, if you try to go fast it usually ends up badly. A comfortable set up allows you to focus on the line and not constantly trying to save the car.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ssyellow
Had to take the XXX bar off to do something and now realize how planted it use to feel with it on. Really a night and day difference of turn in and feeling planted.

YUP. For a day I had no rear sway bar on the car, and it just felt horrid. I cant believe i used to drive it like that, haha
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
no front bar is the way the first cobalt race cars ran. the front bar effects the rear and vice versa. increasing front spring rate will tend to make the car understeer more, and so does a front bar on turn in. so removing the front bar in that case is now a wash.
the zzp and progress and other bars with a tab attachment yield at the tab so the effect in torsion is minimized. as for material unless its treated steel the only material that makes sense is chrome moly. its all about elastic and plastic qualities of metal and its been covered in other threads on here.

at the end of the day its what works for you and what you can afford. Clearly the most successful combinations include YYZ and Powell rear bars, along with spherical joints and large wheel combinations. I tend to balk at more than a 245/40 section tire but the pro auto x ers run some crazy 255/275 etc combinations that work well.

and win

autox is a very small microcosm in terms of handling with ultra slow speed and tight configurations. So some setups become extreme to suit.

I venture to say that the Powell stuff works out as the fastest for the most people with the best bang for the buck, and generates the most success, from wangspeed through whitnith. speedbuggy omiotek to yellowss colordude et al... and Yellowss as a rookie has kicked butt all year in some very large classes

Thanks John. Couldn't do it without your help and support and letting my test tho vs on and off for you. means the world to me to save the support of someone in the racing community.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Hey guys, I have a Corbeau Seat Bracket w sliders: PN E2090T - Drivers side for Cobalt or G5. up for sale. $85 shipped in the US if anyone needs it, or knows someone who can.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Has anyone corner balanced their car for the track? After talking with other road racing friends, im pondering it to see if it helps before running Fontana next month.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Foximus
Has anyone corner balanced their car for the track? After talking with other road racing friends, im pondering it to see if it helps before running Fontana next month.
I have never done this. Is the gain significant enough to make it worth the exercise? IMO these cars are incredibly balanced through turns as it is?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM

I think corner balancing would be worth it if on coilovers with adjustability. From what I understand it's almost a requirement for any serious track use with coilovers. Not so much if not on coilovers. I've not crossweighted my car running koni yellows/yyz v1 and it's right where I want it.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Former Vendor

All the time. But not with stock config springs. No gain to be had. Not adjustment to be made easily.

And for coil overs it is important to get the car set up correctly , which becomes more difficult if the overall strut height is adjustable and you do not scale the car.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
All the time. But not with stock config springs. No gain to be had. Not adjustment to be made easily.

And for coil overs it is important to get the car set up correctly , which becomes more difficult if the overall strut height is adjustable and you do not scale the car.
Its on a set of One-off D2 coilovers. Which is why Im pondering taking it to the local shop and having them weigh and corner balance it before Fontana. It felt good at streets of willow, but not great. definitely like there was something else there. Hoping to also then have those numbers to goto BC racing for their contingency program for Global Time Attack next year and see about getting some custom built BC's with swift springs....

Also finally emailed you guys about some parts John, want to pick up your steering wheel hub (sick of this NRG pos) and possibly some F23 trans mounts.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:37 AM

finally finished fabbing up my center grill to match the others i made last year. 0.050 aluminum with stainless mesh. No more open lower hole for debris to go in. Wanted to et it done before going to race Fontana this weekend.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Former Vendor

finally finished fabbing up my center grill to match the others i made last year. 0.050 aluminum with stainless mesh. No more open lower hole for debris to go in. Wanted to et it done before going to race Fontana this weekend.

Very nice fab work props to you. Let us know how it went at Fontana
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Very nice, I like it!
What bumper/splitter is that?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM

RK front lip. Want to add a splitter to it this winter.

Last edited by Foximus; 11-17-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:48 PM

So, heres an interesting problem. Out at the road course today. Car runs fine thru 1-2-3, all the way to redline, makes boost, etc. Go into 4th gear, car will go to 5k rpm / 85mph then its like it hits a speed limiter. go to 5th gear, it will get to 4500 rpm and 105mph but no more.

Already did a boost leak / vaccum leak check
Put new plugs, and a spare coil pack and ign module in tonight when I got home
Reflashed my trifecta ( I have an o6 L61, so sadly thats my only option) tune on the ECM.

Nothing makes a change. This is really bizarre and i can't make heads or tails of it. anyone have ideas?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Unfortunately I can't offer you any suggestions as to how to fix this but I had this problem happen mid-session during a track day two years ago, running completely stock. After resting in the paddock for a couple hours, I crossed my fingers and the problem was gone. I've done many track days since then and the problem never came back.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

WOTTuning is saying knock sensor freaking out. I know the 06's knock system is stupidly sensitive. So I unpluged it, hard reset the ECU today, reflashed, and after work tonight will make some pulls in an empty area of the complex to see if we fixed it. Shame. The setup we put in the car, she drove awesome.

Had a guy it a crazy fast Mercedes. Every straightaway he would just run from me. But he could not get it thru the corner. every corner i was like OH HAI! and tck up right on him. ... sadly drafting doesnt work when your 30mph off the pace, hahaha
Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, heres an interesting problem. Out at the road course today. Car runs fine thru 1-2-3, all the way to redline, makes boost, etc. Go into 4th gear, car will go to 5k rpm / 85mph then its like it hits a speed limiter. go to 5th gear, it will get to 4500 rpm and 105mph but no more.

Already did a boost leak / vaccum leak check
Put new plugs, and a spare coil pack and ign module in tonight when I got home
Reflashed my trifecta ( I have an o6 L61, so sadly thats my only option) tune on the ECM.

Nothing makes a change. This is really bizarre and i can't make heads or tails of it. anyone have ideas?
Knock safety rpm limit. Check for knock and do not unhook knock sensors they are there to protect the motor. If acting up replace.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:53 AM

trifecta said to unhook it and make a datalog, so i did. and with it unpluged ( and hard resetting the ECU) car is still doing the same thing. just limiting itself out around 85mph / 4500rpm in 4th gear. Motor sounds fine, dont hear anything new or different.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
trifecta said to unhook it and make a datalog, so i did. and with it unpluged ( and hard resetting the ECU) car is still doing the same thing. just limiting itself out around 85mph / 4500rpm in 4th gear. Motor sounds fine, dont hear anything new or different.
Is it showing knock in the logs?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
bringing this back from the dead ladies !!!!

Going to get an alignment tomorrow on the new setup. What is everyone running for alignment specs ?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
bringing this back from the dead ladies !!!!

Going to get an alignment tomorrow on the new setup. What is everyone running for alignment specs ?
For what?

For autocross in SMF I run 0 toe and -3 degrees camber.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
My bad, road racing.

I was thinking -1 camber / 0 toe and stock caster

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official: Autocross and Road Racing Thread