Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

ssyellow's Autocross Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ssyellow's Autocross Build Thread

Hello all,

This section is pretty dead so I figured I would give a little log of my autocross adventures and modifications for anyone in the future to base their build off or come for info. I'm just getting into autocross coming from rally-x in a Subaru WRX so there will be a little learning curve.

Car:

2009 Cobalt SS with G85

- GMS1
- ZZP Cat-less downpipe
- Hahn 3" cat back exhaust
- Powell YYZ V.3 springs
- Powell XXX rear sway bar
- OEM pads/rotors/fluid
- 18 x 8" O.Z. Racing Ultraleggera wheels with 235/40/18 Direzza ZII's

by navarrenathan

Events so far:

1. School autocross

I placed 6th out of 62 cars while on my terrible tires (Fuzions, 380 treadware) the previous owner put on. This event took raw time from everyone and there were no classes.

2. NWORSCCA Toledo Express autocross

This was the first event with the Direzza's and I ended up placing first in SMF class. Extremely fast paced and perfect for the Cobalt with it's longer second gear. Still didn't have Powell's XXX bar at this point.

http://www.nworscca.com/attachments/...e2_results.htm

by navarrenathan

3. MSCC/DCSCC Schoolcraft event

This event was a rough one after coming from a heavy night out drinking with friends . Got third place in TDSP and 40th or so out of 102, would have came in 30th overall if my fun run scores would have counted. After everyone ran, course workers were able to do "fun runs" which were timed but didn't count towards your actual score. During this, I managed to get my time down to 43.9XX. Quite an improvement and I wish I could have pulled that out earlier. Powell's XXX bar came in the week after this so I still didn't have it.

4. Detroit SCCA Memorial Day SOLO

1st in DSP by 2.252 seconds and got 12th or so overall raw time out of 172 cars if I counted correctly.

Two GoPro videos but they're of my first two runs as the camera ran out of battery due to not holding a charge.

Also had the pleasure of meeting John Heinricy and talked real quick. I made a joke to my friends about beating his time earlier in the day and somehow ended up doing so by .053 seconds.

PAX: http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_fi...al_day_pax.pdf
Final: http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_fi..._day_final.pdf

Last edited by ssyellow; 05-27-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:50 AM

You will notice the amazement the XXX bar provides in the sharp corners and transitions. Such a great improvement. Car looks well sorted. Out here in BC there are a few of us that auto x our balts.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by m33pm33p
You will notice the amazement the XXX bar provides in the sharp corners and transitions. Such a great improvement. Car looks well sorted. Out here in BC there are a few of us that auto x our balts.
Thank you. Theres a few local guys also but they're not on the forums. Most of the local Cobalt owners are kids who race in straight lines on the street hah.

How do you like the YYZ and Koni setup? That will happen for me sometime next year.

I know you can't adjust the compression settings but do you know if they're stiffer out of the box than FE5 struts/shocks?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is great to see another autocrosser. What tire pressures do you use with those tires (front and rear)?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Micro
It is great to see another autocrosser. What tire pressures do you use with those tires (front and rear)?
I've only had them two events so still learning. For the first event I started off 37 or so square then after the first rum progressively dropped them down to 32 square once they heated up. I think my fastest run was around 30 front and 34 rear but that was too low, I could tell.

This last autocross I set them around 33 front and 36 rear.

I'm going to try the chalk trick and see how far the tire flexes on the sidewall under cornering and adjust the pressures from there.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM

The powell springs are a more firm ride than stock, but much better than any other lowering springs. The koni's ride very nice as well and help with the dampening a lot. Overall with the springs, shocks and xxx bar its a very potent combo.

Now if only I could drive better
Old 05-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had Koni shocks until they started leaking after about a year. That's part of the reason I went to coilovers. A wider wheel/tire setup will by far be the best thing you can do with these cars.

I run around 42 front and 38 rear on grippy concrete.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 AM

Hmm, alright. What coil overs did you go with?

I was worried about my rubbing issue. Pretty sure (by testing with tape tonight) it only happened in the rear ever so slightly due to having a friend in the back seat last weekend. If thats true, I'll probably be purchasing Konis and testing those.

Initial thoughts on the Powell XXX bar with my Direzza setup, beautiful. Turns so much better and just wants to grip and go. Can't wait to test it out at the autocross on Monday.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I have pretty much every part I can get from Powell now, save the harness bar, considering the R100 seat brackets soon too.

Now in SMF you need slicks so that'll probably be a purchase of mine soon.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
Yeah I have pretty much every part I can get from Powell now, save the harness bar, considering the R100 seat brackets soon too.

Now in SMF you need slicks so that'll probably be a purchase of mine soon.
I'm actually in DSP but bumped myself up into that class for that event because there was nobody else in a DSP class.

Slicks would be nice but I don't think I want them.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
yeah the koni shock setup is great but and powells springs are great too but the whole insert thing has me really turned off..... i have had 2 sets that eventually widened the strut body up top that i had to compress back down and make reinforcement collars... they never last unfortunately.

bc ram series will be your best bet probablly.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
yeah the koni shock setup is great but and powells springs are great too but the whole insert thing has me really turned off..... i have had 2 sets that eventually widened the strut body up top that i had to compress back down and make reinforcement collars... they never last unfortunately.

bc ram series will be your best bet probablly.
Exactly what my feelings are. If they would have just made a Cobalt specific strut in the front so I wouldn't have to hack up mine, I would be a happy camper.

Thanks for your input, you know your stuff so I value your opinion. Price doesn't look too bad on them either and the adjustable top hat would be nice. Still looking but can they be rebuildable? I want to say with BC's its a yes.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 PM

I forgot about the strut bodies. I went through two sets as well, but the Koni inserts started leaking at that point.

I don't think BC will rebuild a shock body that you send in, but it sounds like you can buy a custom valved shock body from them. I'm not sure on the price for that, but they also sell all the main components individually. An inverted shock body for the ram series is around $105.

Last edited by Grave; 05-26-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 AM

Good info on the shock bodies, I will have to watch out for that this season since I have koni inserts.

Here's a quick pic of the car, just mounted some cheap rs3's because cheap and wide 255/40. They poke hard in the back.. but barelllllly rub just a lil on v3's.

Attached Thumbnails cobaby.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 AM

RS3's may be the cheapest tire in the extreme performance category, but they are one of the best. As a bonus, they are one of the longest lasting as well.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by m33pm33p
Good info on the shock bodies, I will have to watch out for that this season since I have koni inserts.

Here's a quick pic of the car, just mounted some cheap rs3's because cheap and wide 255/40. They poke hard in the back.. but barelllllly rub just a lil on v3's.

That looks great. After some testing by tape my Direzza's rub even with only me in the car. I will doing an extremely minor fender roll in the upcoming week or two.

Got another 1st place here in DSP today. I'll post final standings when they're online.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Feal suspension can rebuild and revalve bc suspension . Guys great and knows his stuff. Bc is pretty generic in terms of rebuild parts.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Feal suspension can rebuild and revalve bc suspension . Guys great and knows his stuff. Bc is pretty generic in terms of rebuild parts.
Funny stuff, I have never heard of him till last week then ran across his name in the BRZ auto-x build Motoiq did.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM

He's popular with the Subaru community which I'm also apart of
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by ssyellow
That looks great. After some testing by tape my Direzza's rub even with only me in the car. I will doing an extremely minor fender roll in the upcoming week or two.

Got another 1st place here in DSP today. I'll post final standings when they're online.

You can't really get much out of the rear fenders, so a minor roll is about all you can do. The guy who did mine did all he could, but it's enough that I'm not rubbing anymore, so I'm happy. Just make sure you do some homework and find someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 AM

Without breaking paint you so t get much. If breaking paint isn't a concern I can get a whole lit of pull.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Whitnith
You can't really get much out of the rear fenders, so a minor roll is about all you can do. The guy who did mine did all he could, but it's enough that I'm not rubbing anymore, so I'm happy. Just make sure you do some homework and find someone who knows what they are doing.
That's all I need. I put down painters tape and it barley rubbed on it and didn't rub through so essentially a few millimeters is all I need.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Roll the lips flat back there or almost flat. The faster you go the more you going to roll over and kiss then so just get the inner parts rolled in one shot
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM

Roll the lips flat back there or almost flat. The faster you go the more you going to roll over and kiss then so just get the inner parts rolled in one shot
Got it, we will see how far she wants to go when I do it.

Results are in. I won DSP by 2.2XX seconds and got 12th or so overall raw time out of 172 cars if I counted correctly.

Two GoPro videos but they're of my first two runs as the camera ran out of battery due to not holding a charge.

Also had the pleasure of meeting John Heinricy and talked real quick. I made a joke to my friends about beating his time earlier in the day and somehow ended up doing so by .053 seconds.

PAX: http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_fi...al_day_pax.pdf
Final: http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_fi..._day_final.pdf
Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Nice job. That's really good considering the number of people. I'm started to regret not making the CED autocross. It sounds like there will be some good drivers there.

Quick Reply: ssyellow's Autocross Build Thread