Canada Canadian North Pacific

Mobil 1 Oil Change at GM Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM
BJC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil 1 Oil Change at GM Dealers

Went for my 1st oil change at a GM dealer in Toronto yesterday. I decided to switch to Mobil 1 for my base Cobalt at this point. I bought my 5w30 Mobil 1 at Sam's Club for $35 for 6 bottles. The oil change cost just under $32 at the dealer including the oil filter and recycling fees and taxes. The same dealer told me they charge $100 for a Mobil 1 change if you don't bring your own oil.
It's quite a bit cheaper then to bring your own Mobil 1. If you don't have Sam's Club (or Costco I guess), it's almost as cheap at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire or some Real Canadian Superstores.
I think this is cheaper than Mr Lube too, so I won't be going back to them.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BJC
Went for my 1st oil change at a GM dealer in Toronto yesterday. I decided to switch to Mobil 1 for my base Cobalt at this point. I bought my 5w30 Mobil 1 at Sam's Club for $35 for 6 bottles. The oil change cost just under $32 at the dealer including the oil filter and recycling fees and taxes. The same dealer told me they charge $100 for a Mobil 1 change if you don't bring your own oil.
It's quite a bit cheaper then to bring your own Mobil 1. If you don't have Sam's Club (or Costco I guess), it's almost as cheap at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire or some Real Canadian Superstores.

$100 Bucks WOW!!!!!! Hell send me 50 and i will send you 5 qts and oil filter, and you can change it yourself!!! I didnt realize how much more expensive things are in canada..
Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM

I recommend ....

Keeping your reciepts and writing the mileage on the rec't if you do it yourself. Just in case of any probs ! JMO
Old 07-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bob T
Keeping your reciepts and writing the mileage on the rec't if you do it yourself. Just in case of any probs ! JMO
Why are you wasting your $$ putting good oil in a 2.2L Ecotec. Come on man...that's a little over the top. I can understand if it was a high output engine but it's not.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 PM

the good thing to switching to mobile 1 is that you'll get aleast 3 time more milage before you need to change the oil again so it's worth the extra money.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by player_1
the good thing to switching to mobile 1 is that you'll get aleast 3 time more milage before you need to change the oil again so it's worth the extra money.
Very true...but I really don't think GM cares when you need to make a warranty claim and your records indicate that you've been chaning oil every 15,000 km instead of every 5,000 like the manual recommends. Trust me, I was invloved with a dealer that I ahd to take to Small Claims court along with the warranty company and they were trying to prove that I did not maintain the car properly. However, I had records to that matched the recommended maintenance schedule. Needless to say, I beat their asses and won my settlement ($2000).
Old 07-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

Originally Posted by BJC
Yup it cost $70.00 at the dealer, gonna go Wal-Mart and gonna get some oil and do it that way.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dj4all
Why are you wasting your $$ putting good oil in a 2.2L Ecotec. Come on man...that's a little over the top. I can understand if it was a high output engine but it's not.
The 2.2L Ecotec may ship at 145hp on the Cobalts but that doesn't mean it's not a high output engine. It's capable of much more horsepower and torque than the stock settings you just have to put the money into it to unlock it . The only reason GM recommends synthetic in the SS along with premium is because of the supercharger. The GM tuner guides also state that on the 2.2L once you install a supercharger they recommend high octane and I would assume synthetic oil, the 2.2L just don't come standard with that so stock you don't need it.

Every little bit of extra care can make a huge difference on the engine and it's life span even if it costs you a little extra up front. I've considered running synthetic in my LS but am still debating it...if I begin my modifications next year I'll definitely start putting in the Mobil 1. The big thing that gets to me is the huge difference in price but it could ultimately pay off in the long run, especially in some of the driving conditions we see 6 months out of the year .

Permafried-
Old 07-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
The 2.2L Ecotec may ship at 145hp on the Cobalts but that doesn't mean it's not a high output engine. It's capable of much more horsepower and torque than the stock settings you just have to put the money into it to unlock it . The only reason GM recommends synthetic in the SS along with premium is because of the supercharger. The GM tuner guides also state that on the 2.2L once you install a supercharger they recommend high octane and I would assume synthetic oil, the 2.2L just don't come standard with that so stock you don't need it.

Every little bit of extra care can make a huge difference on the engine and it's life span even if it costs you a little extra up front. I've considered running synthetic in my LS but am still debating it...if I begin my modifications next year I'll definitely start putting in the Mobil 1. The big thing that gets to me is the huge difference in price but it could ultimately pay off in the long run, especially in some of the driving conditions we see 6 months out of the year .

Permafried-
I agree with your point that the 2.2L has high output potential. I am merely stating that it is not HO out of the factory so Mobil 1 is not necessary unless the owner plans to start modding. The 2.4L VVT states right on it that it is a HO output motor. i would definitely put Mobil 1 in that motor. The now defunt 2.4L that was in the J bodies was a HO motor. No argumement here that Mobil 1 is worth the price...I just think it's worth the price depending on the application. Peace bro...!!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:50 AM

I know on our SS/SC oil cap it has Mobil 1 oil right on the cap. Does it come with synthetic in it already or what?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
I know on our SS/SC oil cap it has Mobil 1 oil right on the cap. Does it come with synthetic in it already or what?
Yep
Old 07-16-2005, 02:44 PM

i just did mine at the dealer too $97 CDN

I know i know, it was alot

however, this is my logic.

Its now in the computer that i do the regular maintenence. Its also in the computer for when i sell the vehicle and the next owner wants those records (if i decide)

Im terrible at keeping receipts. This way i dont have to

Plus i dont have to worry about getting a rid of the old oil or keeping it somewhere. Its done and over with.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM

I received a Q-pon card for 39.99 mobil one synthetic oil changes when i bought my car for as long as I own it. Sweet!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:00 PM

I just got mine done and it is $64 for everything plus top-up of any other fluids (windshield washer fluid mainly). Didn't have to make another trip to crappy tire or anything. I guess it depends on how the dealer decides to screw with the price of the oil.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:02 PM

It was scientificly proven that a bottle of 99cent oil from wal-mart is as good as a $5 bottle of brand name syn. They both have to meet the same industry standards.

However, I`m sticking w/ Mobil 1 Syn in my S/C.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by The 27th element
It was scientificly proven that a bottle of 99cent oil from wal-mart is as good as a $5 bottle of brand name syn. They both have to meet the same industry standards.

However, I`m sticking w/ Mobil 1 Syn in my S/C.

Agreed, as long as the two have the same standard rating. But, when the engine is asked to go above and beyond the "standard", is where the sythetic shines. Prolonged high RPM, heavy loads, higher temps, forced induction, etc. A good example was an old freinds Dads truck, 1990 Ford F-250;460cid, used Castrol synthetic and Prolong since first oil change, last I saw it , over 300K and engine had no internal work done!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by NJBLUESS
Agreed, as long as the two have the same standard rating. But, when the engine is asked to go above and beyond the "standard", is where the sythetic shines. Prolonged high RPM, heavy loads, higher temps, forced induction, etc. A good example was an old freinds Dads truck, 1990 Ford F-250;460cid, used Castrol synthetic and Prolong since first oil change, last I saw it , over 300K and engine had no internal work done!
don't forget colder temps too. It flows much better.

My wife just got a Mobil 1 change on here Grand Am Gt at a Pontaic dealer---$77
Old 11-25-2005, 09:01 AM

I paid $80 at my Saturn dealership which was still slightly more expensive (by about $10) than simply bringing them my own Mobil 1 and asking them to use that instead. If I bring my own oil they charge $22 in labour and for the oil filter and then add tax on that.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bob T
Yep. When the dealer told me $100 for an oil change with Mobile 1 I went back to doing it myself.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:54 PM

how much does a case of mobil 1 cost, and is their any difference? like teh cobalt ss can go like 12k km between oil changes, is that the long lasting oil or do i just use regular?

and how many quarts are in a case?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The 27th element
Let me be the first to call Bullshit on that study. First of all its practically required that all motor oils meet the American Petroleum Institute (API Certified) standards, or else nobody would buy them. But that in no way means that all oils are equivelent in performance, quality, or durability.

Bottom line is that the API seal goes by the lowest common denominator. Meaning the minimum specs that are considered sufficient to adequately lubricate metal parts. Key word being minimum, and its not very hard to meet those requirements either.

By putting Mobil 1 Synthetic in your car, you are getting the piece of mind knowing your engine is protected by one of the best oils on the market. In extreme tempuratures, during high RPMs, extensive idleing, and when running the engine hard, you know its protected by the best oil.

Please don't pollute people's mind with that kind of BS, theres a reason that almost all high performance vehicles come from the factory with Synthetic and say "Mobil 1" right on the oil cap.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM

I normally bring my oil and filter to the dealer. They charge $5.67 and it's done in 6 Min...
Old 11-25-2005, 07:59 PM

At my Dealer, we charge $50+tax for Mobil 1(6qts), GM filter, check and set tire press. Check fluids, adding washer fluid around another $1, check over vehicle for problems or recommondations. Reset oil-life monitor, lube steering & suspension (if applicable), and lube door hinges (if needed). Service with standard oil is around $28. We do pay alot for Mobil 1 oil, because we are contracted with a supplier, close to $6/qt., but we don't jack the price up much at all. Really our shop makes around $2 and some change on a "Service", but what we hope to gain is a customer that will come back to us for other needs.
So if a Dealer is charging something like $100 for a Service with Mobil 1, I know they can do it for less. Hell, at a Benz dealer I worked for an "A" service, (basic type), was $100 w/Mobil 1 and it also included other work, like tire rotation and such.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:09 PM

I go to Texas Oil Exchange. I hooked a friend up with a cell phone so he is gave me a free oil change and the oil. Mobil 1 all the way! But, I'll tell you this. Even though the Mobil 1 says that you can go 15,000 miles without changing it. Its not smart to. Regular synthetic oil can go about 5,000 miles. Mobil 1, fully synthetic oil... can go about 8,000 or so before it starts to break down and build up sludge. My friend, that works at Texas Oil Exchange, said that he changed the oil in a Vette once and had only been 7,000 miles and when he drained it... it was black, nasty, and thick, not the normal color and thinness of the oil. He said to keep the engine at top performace, parts from wearing, and keeping the max HP up... to change the Mobil 1 every 8,000 miles. Buy it in bulk... youll save about 5 bucks when you do that, instead of buying 6 quarts... OH AND BTW!! Even though our Cobalts are 2.0L, haha, when you first picked up your car from the dealer, it had 7 quarts in it. The engine takes about 5 - 6, and the supercharger takes the other 1. Lol. I didnt know this until I got my oil changed. Just a heads up!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:15 PM

yeah the dealer was about to charge me 100 too but they gave me a discount plus didn't charge me for 2 of the 7 quarts of oil so I got out for around 50 ... remember to put enough oil in the car guys dont want any under lubed cars out there

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil Change at GM Dealers