Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance

So me and my girlfriend are moving back to alberta at the end of feb. That means I can keep my bc insurance/plates until end of may. Anybody in the edmonton area have a go-to place for insurance? Right now I pay $260/month with ICBC. Last time I was in alberta in my small town in the boonies I was paying $413/month and I dont want to go back to that...More than my damn payment. Im going to be 22 in march if that matters.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are near edmonton, try klondyke. I'm with them for my car and bike, good rates and they give different types of discounts as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikdOutCobalt
So me and my girlfriend are moving back to alberta at the end of feb. That means I can keep my bc insurance/plates until end of may. Anybody in the edmonton area have a go-to place for insurance? Right now I pay $260/month with ICBC. Last time I was in alberta in my small town in the boonies I was paying $413/month and I dont want to go back to that...More than my damn payment. Im going to be 22 in march if that matters.
oh my god, I'd **** bricks if my insurance was that high.

I pay 150 a month for both mine and my wifes car, full coverage.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leemanfor

wish mine was that low. I pay $246 a month for the car (its currently at $105 for parking insurence since im not driving it at the moment) and $660 for the year on my bike. But then again i got a accident on my record...2 more years until thats gone..lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor

Yeah, the sad thing is thats with a perfect record. No accidents/tickets or anything. Id hate to imagine what if would be like with a couple tickets.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM

What is your car and age? history? you want full coverage?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ownedbyagirl?
What is your car and age? history? you want full coverage?
07 SS 2.4L coupe. Ill be 22 when I get there. No accidents/tickets. I basically want what I have now. So collision, comprehensive, 2,000,000 liabillity and such.

I have 2.5 years of insurance history so it should get me a little discount.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
the problem is that Alberta as of about six years ago is almost goverment run (like BC, SK, or MB);
The individual companies don't have any real say in what they charge - and the only peopel to see financial savings from the legislated changes are people who have been with their company for a looong time, and have spotless records (have to have yearly checks, and even a single speeding ticket apparently ups the rate)...

your address will have bearing on the cost of your insurance - and when changing to a new company the rates will always be high...

you could always try to screw the system if you're wanting to do a "one foot in & one foot out" deal;
keep a mailing address in BC - and use it as your license and registration address.

just thinking out loud.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
the problem is that Alberta as of about six years ago is almost goverment run (like BC, SK, or MB);
The individual companies don't have any real say in what they charge - and the only peopel to see financial savings from the legislated changes are people who have been with their company for a looong time, and have spotless records (have to have yearly checks, and even a single speeding ticket apparently ups the rate)...

your address will have bearing on the cost of your insurance - and when changing to a new company the rates will always be high...

you could always try to screw the system if you're wanting to do a "one foot in & one foot out" deal;
keep a mailing address in BC - and use it as your license and registration address.

just thinking out loud.
I was thinking of that. Except for the fact that I have no family here and I would have to rent a p.o. box and I'm not too sure how the insurance company here would like that because technically I would not be able to tell them where my car is parked every night. Lol.

I could say I live with my brother in sask and pay a solid $120/month but then it will screw with my taxes...because I will most likely get my stories screwed up
Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM

it doesn't need to be parked at that address every night;
I learnt while in school (years ago) that legally you don't need to change your address ect, as long as you keep going back there every months or so...
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM

it doesn't need to be parked at that address every night;
I learnt while in school (years ago) that legally you don't need to change your address ect, as long as you keep going back there every months or so...
That is a good idea. Ill have to figure something out. The only thing is that I just cant keep the address on my license that Im at now since I dont want a new random tenant getting my mail lol...not like I'll get much mail from license/insurance company, Im just OCD like that So Im going to have to change it to something. I also want to keep my bc license because I have an advanced license that gets me across the border into the US and I dont want to get a passport yet haha
Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM

before you do something too devious;
you might want to call around.

I use state farm - before the legislated changes they were extremely competitive...

you should be able to get the short scoop from an agent on rates, and what you should expect to see... ect.

Just do yourself a favor;
DO NOT go to CAA
99.5% of them are incompetent ***** - who are only there to get a paycheque...
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

before you do something too devious;
you might want to call around.

I use state farm - before the legislated changes they were extremely competitive...

you should be able to get the short scoop from an agent on rates, and what you should expect to see... ect.

Just do yourself a favor;
DO NOT go to CAA
99.5% of them are incompetent ***** - who are only there to get a paycheque...
Are they? My grandma swears by them haha. And is there state farm there? I thought it was only an American thing.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Are they? My grandma swears by them haha. And is there state farm there? I thought it was only an American thing.
at one point in time I'm sure CAA was good;

many years before regulation, they were the cheapest - but savings reflected in rates were also reflected in customer service...

I will admit that when I poped into the Lethbridge head office they seemed knowledgeable ~ but I'm guessing this was becasue it wasn't in Calgary or Edmonton ~ where CAA seem to only employ people with half of a brain.

Yup State Farm has been here for a while;
I believe I changed over to them in 1997 ~ after getting extorted for insurance for six months (was considered a "new driver becasue of my age and only having just moved back form MB at the time)...

State Farm CanadaŽ - Auto, Life, Homeowners, & More

^^note that's a 'dot ca' site...
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

at one point in time I'm sure CAA was good;

many years before regulation, they were the cheapest - but savings reflected in rates were also reflected in customer service...

I will admit that when I poped into the Lethbridge head office they seemed knowledgeable ~ but I'm guessing this was becasue it wasn't in Calgary or Edmonton ~ where CAA seem to only employ people with half of a brain.

Yup State Farm has been here for a while;
I believe I changed over to them in 1997 ~ after getting extorted for insurance for six months (was considered a "new driver becasue of my age and only having just moved back form MB at the time)...

State Farm CanadaŽ - Auto, Life, Homeowners, & More

^^note that's a 'dot ca' site...
Thanks ...I tried an online quote but it kept messing up. Ill pop into an office there when I head that way.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM

if you do find a statefarm agent, any one can get you pricing, and give advice - they just change the address for the pricing...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM

I'm 22 and my car is 2006 SS NA, my insurance rate is $196 a month. That's Full coverage.

RBC Insurance
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ownedbyagirl?
I'm 22 and my car is 2006 SS NA, my insurance rate is $196 a month. That's Full coverage.

RBC Insurance
Yeah but your a woman which in alberta automatically cuts your rates in half versus mine...lol
Old 01-14-2012, 12:11 AM

dam dude lol im 22, full coverage on a 2006 S/C model and im paying 112.33 a month for ful coverage with progressive. i pay every 6 months. $674 for 6 months
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM

125 full coverage, AND that includes my APT ins. lol
I use a broker company called " Morgex " . Morgex finds the best coverage/rates for your needs from a multitude of Ins comp's.
worth chcecking into anyway here is the info below

"free no obligation quote".............

Alice Werenka service supervisor
email alice.werenka@morgex.com
toll free 18772989091
fax8776566360
Morgex Web - Welcome
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by victoryredturbalt
125 full coverage, AND that includes my APT ins. lol
I use a broker company called " Morgex " . Morgex finds the best coverage/rates for your needs from a multitude of Ins comp's.
worth chcecking into anyway here is the info below

"free no obligation quote".............

Alice Werenka service supervisor
email alice.werenka@morgex.com
toll free 18772989091
fax8776566360
Morgex Web - Welcome
Wow that sounds amazing. Will definately check them out.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 PM

08 Cobalt 4dr LT, 25 yrs old
Co-operators
$186 Full Coverage(2m, glass, wildlife etc.)