Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

My ZZP Supercharger Kit Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My ZZP Supercharger Kit Experience

Hi everyone just thought I would give my thoughts for anyone looking to buy this kit. I will only be reviewing the base kit and zzp tune since I bought most of the other pieces used.

For everyone who doesn't want to read it all:
Base kit: very good, lay out everything and make sure they sent you the right stuff, if not they will be very helpful at getting the right stuff sent out
ZZP Tune: Not worth the money, although it did make the car move.
Customer service: Overall pretty good, answered all the questions I had

Base kit:
To start off with I layed out everything to check for everything, and it turned out the intake manifold bolts were missing. They weren't on the packing list either the only reason I knew they were missing was the instructions. This wasn't really a big deal as they had new ones to me within 3 days. Everything that is custom to this kit seemed like very good build quality and went together easily. The only other issue I had was they sent me a 2 bar map when for my year I needed a 4 bar for the plug to fit, but they swapped it out quick. It took me less than a day and a half to take off and install everything working slow and taking breaks. The fitment of everything was pretty good the only problems I ran into were some vacuum leaks, but that's pretty common. I would highly recommend this kit for someone looking to be down for less time and do less work.

Now on to the tune...
Let me start by saying: if your'e going to sell a tune for a kit that you manufacture, it should run that kit decently.
I needed my car to get to school, so I bought the zzp tune to get me up and going.
Now I understand that a can tune can never be perfect for a specific car and I am not saying I was expecting something amazing. Security relearn worked first try and zzp was very helpful about getting me a pcm from a manual car so that I didn't need a clutch relearn. After searching for vacuum leaks and changing throttle bodies, I concluded that there were some issues with the tune. It would not idle low enough unless I pulled it down with the clutch, the fuel did not cut out on deceleration, and I couldn't go anywhere near wot. However after getting it dyno tuned this weekend it is clear it was not even in the same universe. At WOT the tuner had to take out over 50% of the fuel the pcm was commanding. It was commanding below 9 on the wideband as that's as low as it would go. I know it says no refunds on tunes on zzp's website, but I payed for a service that wasn't even close to being met. I explained to them what was happening and I get that they can't do anything if I can't log, so I don't blame them for not fixing it, but it shouldn't have been anywhere near that in the first place.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
First mistake you made was buying that kit
Old 04-20-2016, 07:10 PM

Because now after a tune it's making reliable power that much more would put 2008 internals close to their limit? Such a mistake. All the base kit is is bolts gaskets and their pulley setup. Thanks for your helpful comment.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
No for the money you spent for that kit you could have bought a turbo kit for a tad more. I supercharged mine for $800.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:39 PM

I said in the original post that I did not have much down time at all and was doing it for the convenience not the price. I made this post to help other people who are looking at this kit not to say this kit is superior to everything else. I never brought up price. And for all the parts I bough separate I was still at about $1000 so for an extra 200 I'll take the convenience thanks
The following users liked this post:
ZRJO (06-17-2022)