Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

Powell CABs and YYZ springs + CED struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powell CABs and YYZ springs + CED struts

2006 SS/SC Stock suspention- Powell CABs and YYZ springs + CED struts

Backstory:

So I've had a clunk in my front end that has progressively gotten louder over the past few months. It started ever since the lovely state of Mass decided to dig up a highway and not tell anyone that there was a 3in" transition between where they cut the road and where they were paving new portions. I didn't know, so I hit it doing 75 which obviously isn't good (there was about 5 cars on the side of the road that day with different parts hanging off like broken lower control arms and other miscellaneous things)

Purchasing Experience:

After a month or so I got enough funds to do the full front end. I sent Gloria an email and she got back to me pretty quickly for doing amount of emails she does. Got the CABs ordered on a Thursday and I had them the following Thursday which coming from Canada, is extremely quick.

I wanted to do everything all in one shot so I then called up Tom at CED and he helped clear up a pricing question I had and then I placed a order for a complete FE5 Shocks, mounts, and bushings plus the YYZ springs. That package took only 3 days to get me which was great.

Installation:

Ripped everything apart (8 years of rust on the sway bar links did not help anything but I bought some Moog stuff from my work), zipped together the front struts, pressed out the old bushings, pushed the new ones in and then took it for test drive for lunch

After a test drive and quick lunch, tossed in the rear springs and shocks (wish I purchased the top mounts because mine were completely gone for the most part) and closed up shop for the night.

Final evaluation:

Right away from just doing the front end the car felt extremely tight and more grounded. No clunking and much more sold steering feel. Haven't taken my favorites at the proper speed because there's still snow on the ground but the pushing I have done of the car has been great. Cars response to transitioning is flatter and acceleration weight distribution is flatter as well.

Descrepency:

On the first drive home I noticed a clanging in the rear. It only happened over rough terrain and not over physical bumps. Sounds as if the springs are clanking around back there and I'm not sure if it is from the poor mounts I have or if there is something else I can do to eliminate it. I will be contact John to see if he has any advice on it. I've read that there is a solution I just can't seem to find it. Other than that, the car ride great.

Shipping time on both companies was A+
Customer service was A+
Quality of products was A+ (I would hope from CED since its stock lol)

Final total shipped for everything came in at $1400

I will try and get some pictures this weekend of the car and how it sits.

Last edited by 1AJeremyD; 03-18-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Picture added.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM

Sub'd for pics.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
glad for your experience, and yes, some folks (its in the YYZ thread somewhere) Craig Wimmler ?I think it was ( cant remember his screen name ) put some plastic tube around one coil and it was fixed. I am not getting that noise, and nor did Wangspeed, but maybe my Redline is too damn loud.... Or put rust check on the spring....

thanks enjoy your ride. Have a look at the rear closely, we did open up the spring eye to make it easy to get the isolator on... but that should not be clanging, as its always under tension....

Last edited by Powell Race Parts; 03-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM

John for me it was the front making the slight clunking noise. I dont have any noise from the rear at all. I just put vinyl tubing on the lower coils were they come together.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 395 plus
John for me it was the front making the slight clunking noise. I dont have any noise from the rear at all. I just put vinyl tubing on the lower coils were they come together.
Thanks for the tip. Do you know what size tubing you bought? Probably available at home depot or Lowes.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 395 plus
thanks one day I will do this humungous spreadsheet with real names and forum names lol
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM

The tubing is probably the same type deal the fbody guys do to their car to get it to drop the rear end a bit more. they use heater hose on theirs.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Thank you for your business. Glad everything is working out for you.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1AJeremyD
Thanks for the tip. Do you know what size tubing you bought? Probably available at home depot or Lowes.
I just checked the diameter of the spring and went to our Mills Fleet Farm (But I would thinks Home depot would have it too). Its clear vinyl tubing with and inside diameter just a little larger than the spring diameter. I used some dry lube to help sliding the tubing over the spring. I only covered the lower coils because you could see where the coils had been hitting each other.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it's upside down but this is from wheni compared the sac springs to yyz. This is the yyz sping coil dia.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
I know it's upside down but this is from wheni compared the sac springs to yyz. This is the yyz sping coil dia.

Thanks for the picture Andrew!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Updated for picture on OP.