Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

rockSTAR_SS' straight-up, unbiased HIDwerks.com/mkulrey13 Retrofit review thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rockSTAR_SS' straight-up, unbiased HIDwerks.com/mkulrey13 Retrofit review thread

As promised, here is a review of my experience with HIDwerks.com/Mike Ulrey. I realize this company is no longer a vendor on this site, but I did not want to post this where it wouldn't get noticed.

Back story:

I ordered my retrofits from Mike because of an ad he placed on Facebook. According to the ad, he had one set of basic retros to sell and asked to me to PM him when I showed interest. I messaged him, and he then notified me that he had a few sets to make ahead of my order. Slightly puzzled, I accepted anyways and placed my order. Here is the conversation that took place via Facebook messenger on the day I ordered, November 24th 2013.

Me - Mike, I'll take a pair of the retrofits for $399 plus shipping

Mike - Ok what's your paypal email?

Me- *sent my addres*

Mike - I have a few sets to make before so it will be a bit ok?

Me - ETA? What's all included sir? Ok I see. Nevermind. I'll take a basic set with black housings please.

Mike - Ok!

Mike - Where are you location?

Me - *sent my address*

Mike - What temp HIDs?

Me - 6k? Light blue tint? 55w please.Throw me a set in the order for my fog lights also. Please.

Mike - Can't run 55w in retrofits

Mike - 35w is just as bright

Mike - Better for your wiring too

Me - Gotcha. That's fine.

Mike - No halos correct?

Me - Correct.

Mike - Sent, thanks man!

Me - Payment made. Any time estimate on when they'll ship out? Just curious. I know you're a busy man.

Mike - No I have a few sets to make. I'll get to it and when I do I'll let you know.

Me - Ok thanks.
Mike was very friendly and professional. The invoice he sent was a nice invoice, with a nice company letter head and very easily readable. He was prompt in sending it, and I was prompt in sending payment. Some time goes by, and I decided to message Mike, again via Facebook messenger, on December 9th, 2013. Here's the conversation:

Me - Hey Mike. Any update on these headlights brotha?

Mike - Working on them. I have 15 sets I have to make takes time. 3 kids and a full time job I cant pump then out my ass lol

Mike - A lot of work for I set let alone 15 haha

Mike - I'll move you to top after these 2 sets in making

Me - I understand bro. Just asking. No rush from me. Glad to hear business is good.
I was slightly shocked at his reply. I knew before I placed the order that this was a one man business, and had read where he had a full time job and a family. This just didn't seem like the same Mike I had talked to when I placed my order. Aside from that, a "few" sets to make ahead of my order had suddenly turned into 15 sets. With the promise of having my order moved up, I took a passive approach and let it roll off my back.

After this, I did not hear from Mike at all. I did not receive any update on my order like I was promised in our first conversation. Between the time I had last talked to Mike and January 26th, 2014 (the next time I messaged him), I had my gall bladder removed in December, and on January 9th I had my appendix removed. During that surgery, a mistake was made and I nearly died because my aorta was cut. I won't go into details, but it took 9 units of blood to fill me back up and 1 week of initial recovery in ICU. I've been off of work for 3 weeks to heal up, and I'll be off 3 more weeks for a total of 6 weeks. Here's a picture:
Name:  20140205_0835051.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  42.2 KB

As I said earlier, I finally sent Mike a message once I learned that my headlights had not arrived yet. Here's the conversation:

Me - Hey Mike. My invoice # was 494. Have you started on this order by chance? If not, please send me a full refund of $519.97 please. I'm going to order a basic set of stock style black housing headlights instead. Thanks.

Mike - Yes I've started I believe there done

Mike - My daughter was admitted to the ER few days ago so I've been gone from the house

Me - Alright. Do you have an estimate on when they will ship? I hope she's doing ok. I've had my gall bladder and appendix removed since Thanksgiving, so I know what you mean.

At this point, Mike and I have a conversation that contains some of his personal family information. I will not post that information out of respect for him. It doesn't pertain to the subject of this thread.

Me - Well like I said I hope you're daughter gets better. If you get a chance let me know when you can ship those headlights out please.
I can totally understand family emergencies. Mike even posted on the HIDwerks.com facebook page about his daughter, so I took that as a general notification of what was going on. I wasn't personally notified or updated, however, that my headlights were complete.

After this conversation, I pretty much checked in with Mike daily until he notified me that my order was shipped. We had some small talk in between that, but nothing important. After he shipped my headlights, he sent me this message:

Mike - Your lights have shipped but I noticed when packaging them I somehow missed a spot of glue on the bottom of them. I couldn't take a picture it wouldn't show up.

Mike - Can I send you a free led kit for my mistake? I don't think it's noticable installed in the car just bugs me that it left that way

Me - I appreciate you letting me know man. If its not noticeable it shouldn't be a problem Mike. I'm sure it's alright.

Mike - Still bothers me. Just let me know

Me - Alright. I will let you know. Thanks again sir.
I appreciated this update and offer from Mike. Granted, I believe if he had taken a little more time to check these lights that small error could have been corrected. I do know that Mike is a very busy guy, and I know he works on multiple orders all at once. The glue he's talking about isn't very noticable, so I can see how it was easily over looked. I don't fault him much for that.

I received my order today, February 6th, 2014. The box was labeled fragile, please handle with care, this direction up, and insured. Inside, the packaging was neat and packed well. After inspection of the headlights, I am happy with them. The glue sealing the headlights isn't as neat as stock, but I believe it's hard to replicate the stock quality.

Name:  20140206_124703_LLS.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  91.7 KB

Because my car is undergoing a winter build, I don't want to install them yet for the risk of damaging them. The HID bulbs were already installed in the headlights. The wiring harness was packaged professionally. The HID kit for my fog lights was boxed and packaged neatly.

Pros: Grade A product, professional packaging and shipping (tracking number was given), and Mike always answered my messages.

Cons: 2+ months to receive my order, no updates on my order, and the customer service after I placed my order was spotty, $400 headlights aren't 100% (I rate them @ 95%).

Overall rating: I would give HIDwerks.com/Mike Ulrey an overall rating of a "C". Customer service and quality should be the two main things this company focuses on. I understand that having a completely separate full-time job and a family can be hectic, but if Mike cannot professionally handle making and selling retros on the side then he should reconsider the business. Be up front with your customers. If you have a lot of orders, let them know. As a customer, I like to know these things. As I'm going through my winter build, I'm planning things out. When my parts are late, my build gets behind.

Mike always responded to my messages, and even offered to make a small error right by offering me free LED's to make up for the small mistake inside one headlight. His packaging and shipping was professional, and my order was correct when I received it. He may be super busy, but he was thorough with my order.

Take this review however you want. I tried to remain as unbiased as possible and call things as I see them. I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with him. I found that bashing him and causing him problems doesn't help the situation at all. Just contact him via Facebook and he'll respond. However, I believe that other customers filed claims on PayPal could have been avoided on his part if only he would have stayed in touch with the customer. I personally didn't have to file a claim, but I have talked to others that have.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope u sue the ***** off that hospital for knicking your aorta. Gallbladder surgery is one of the easiest to perform and 99% are laparoscopic. Now u have a huge scar!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
nice review. glad to see you got them and they look really good to me. i agree with your opinion overall.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
How much that run you again? No halos right?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kxrida2000
Hope u sue the ***** off that hospital for knicking your aorta. Gallbladder surgery is one of the easiest to perform and 99% are laparoscopic. Now u have a huge scar!
We are talking to a lawyer. So far, I have not received a bill other than for the removal of my appendix.
Originally Posted by riceburner
nice review. glad to see you got them and they look really good to me. i agree with your opinion overall.
The lenses need a little cleaning up, but they are pretty much spot on.
Originally Posted by Bass_Waves
How much that run you again? No halos right?
$519 and some change for basic retros with two 6000k 35 watt HID kits.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
thats not a bad price especially when you factor in shipping
Old 02-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah it isn't. I sell mines close to the same for a basic set up.

And yeah that's a nasty scar
Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you got them man.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
glad you got yours too rockstar.