Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

Turbo Tech Racing LNF Intake Manifold!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Team SS
No. They isn't anything rubbing/tapping on the manifold, been on my car for 7months now without one problem. In the first post, it was stated that the DI Fuel line (Dampener) will need to be adjusted a tad for fitment.

The solenoid can be mounted anywhere the owner chooses to put it.
This, plus in all honesty, who wants all this clamps and such welded/bolted to your intake manifold. It allows you to tuck it to the side, as Richard did with zip ties. That valve mounted to the top would look ugly . The hose going to the evap sol. is not hitting/rubbing the manifold. Some may even want to run a new line to the evap sol and not have the line run over the manifold... Hate to have a hold down, and then have it not be used... But again this would not be a direct bolt on. It is just as it is stock, hangs slighly above the stock manifold. Everything else has a home
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
TTR Powered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
This, plus in all honesty, who wants all this clamps and such welded/bolted to your intake manifold. It allows you to tuck it to the side, as Richard did with zip ties. That valve mounted to the top would look ugly . The hose going to the evap sol. is not hitting/rubbing the manifold. It is just as it is stock. Everything else has a home

VERY WELL SAID Aaron

Plus, This is an aftermarket Performance Manifold. if you want to have the proper accessory mounting points in the same place as the stock manifold.

Then just stick with the Factory Manifold.

When it comes to adding Performance to your car, You Can't always get the "Proper" Look and Mounting points. Sometimes, It has to be custom. even with Zip ties

gotta Pay, to Play.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also those few members asking about a stock turbo setup, wanting it tested on a stock turbo; we notice those have 1 or 2 very basic performance mods and most likely NO tune. Maybe this mod is not for you? It will not have as much gains as the BNR, it will be scalled back some. EFR (larger turbos) will see more gains.

Maybe those questioning a stock turbo, need to sit back and wait for a member to purchase and dyno test to know if you are not ready to commit. Chances are their setup will not be exactly like yours and you will question it again. But life does go on.
I dont understand why you are taking this the wrong way? i am not questioning your product, i am looking for tangible information?

this is a new mod and it looks great! it seems to be technically sound and backed by vendors and people who know their stuff...

the last paragraph has to be the most negative sales pitch i have ever heard. maybe this product is not for me? Seems that way. im on a canned tune and i think that kinda puts me lower on the hierarchy in this thread...

you notice those wanting it tested have 1 or 2 very basic mods...i stated that was my case prior to posting my question so that expectations can be set....

anyhow im backing out, good luck with this, i will surely take a look eventually.

Last edited by wol-shiver; 10-25-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: thoughts
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

So your backing out because you want tangible proof on a stock ko4? First off the fact your on a canned tune that basically limits power there because your wot is very conservative along with boost. So here is the thing! If we were to test this intake mani on a car we wouldn't swap it on a car and call it a day. That isn't the purpose of the manifold. Tuning allows to get the most of out the mod, so with a gmstage1 car I can still see gains! But so moated to a tuned k04 it'll be different because as stated, I was able to achieve 17/18* simply and leaned it out and no ramp just to see with 30/31lbs. And if we were to dyno I that, god save us lol.

I understand your frustrated but it would cost turbotechracing even more money to do this. We may be testing a car soon with a k04 but ill be working with the owner to get results. This does take a good amount of time. Tune and all....

We appreciate your interest though!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 AM

ppl continue to bitch about this gain with the stock K04 like really how damn hard are you goin to push the lil engine that could(stock turbo) then you blow it and i have to read a thread of you complaining of boost issues and how your dealer isnt going to cover it, The damn thing just came out literally let them see where the product goes then stretch the level of research later on, if your ass baked cookies do you want me walking in there asking for cake?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 AM

^^^^^^ lmao
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by Nfamous60
ppl continue to bitch about this gain with the stock K04 like really how damn hard are you goin to push the lil engine that could(stock turbo) then you blow it and i have to read a thread of you complaining of boost issues and how your dealer isnt going to cover it, The damn thing just came out literally let them see where the product goes then stretch the level of research later on, if your ass baked cookies do you want me walking in there asking for cake?

Its just normal for people to judge something without trying it first.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Also the LNF can always use more torque IMO, unlike most bolt on mods, you get mostly more HP added than torque. This mod actually gains more torque as a bolt on, which is awesome.
I have a discrepancy with this claim. In the dyno graphs on the 1st page, the horsepower is equal at 72mph where the two curves cross each other. Basic math tells us that the torque would also be equal at the same speed unless the rpm (or the rpm reading) has changed. However, the graph shows about a 15 ft lb difference at that point in the graph. This means 1 of 3 things happened:
1. Clutch slippage occured.
2. Each test was run on difference tires.
3. The rpm pickup or calculation was set up inconsistently.

Regardless of which of these happened, we can not accurately determine that there were actual gains of 20+ ft lbs. To me, it appears that the torque gain was more along the lines of 5 ft lbs, not 20, but we wouldn't know without a properly conducted test.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Matt M
I have a discrepancy with this claim. In the dyno graphs on the 1st page, the horsepower is equal at 72mph where the two curves cross each other. Basic math tells us that the torque would also be equal at the same speed unless the rpm (or the rpm reading) has changed. However, the graph shows about a 15 ft lb difference at that point in the graph. This means 1 of 3 things happened:

Regardless of which of these happened, we can not accurately determine that there were actual gains of 20+ ft lbs. To me, it appears that the torque gain was more along the lines of 5 ft lbs, not 20, but we wouldn't know without a properly conducted test.
Hi Matt, I am going to have to have James/Richard reply to you, as the data provided in the charts was from them.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by Matt M

NO SLIPPING CLUTCH. SAME TIRES. SAME DYNO. SAME DAY. SAME CONDITIONS.

The dyno was all done under the same conditions as stated.
I dont know where you think that this was done with different tires /etc.

The gains are there. The manifold does improve trq by 20+.

It has been tested side by side with the stock manifold from day one.
Not only can you see the gains in the sheet. But you can FEEL them in the seat.

Last edited by Team SS; 10-28-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor

I do have to say 1 thing... Matt you were pretty quick to claim 5 torque numbers, if you were looking for explanation, that is one thing, but you instantly wanted to knock it. If the MPH reading went the opposite way you thought (which is very well could have) the gains would be even BETTER than shown. But you did want to get off on your foot and claim less.

I know ZZP will be hard on this manifold, and so be it; Mostly becuase they were not the first to come up with the idea, test it, or such. You guys are pioneers for many of the cobalt items, but no way can be for every item. I give you guys props for taking it to this level in the community we are at now.

Also just wanted to state at least we dyno tested before and after with no other changes. Many of your bolt on items at ZZP do not even offer this information on your site; along with many other companies.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Torque and hp always cross at 5252rpm. Your baseline crosses at 73mph and your after crosses at 67mph. Clutch slip. Dyno doesn't lie.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM
TTR Powered

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
Torque and hp always cross at 5252rpm. Your baseline crosses at 73mph and your after crosses at 67mph. Clutch slip. Dyno doesn't lie.

I'm guessing you DIDNT read post 186...
Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm too JDM for you

I'm GUESSING you don't know how a dyno works
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Team SS
NO SLIPPING CLUTCH. SAME TIRES. SAME DYNO. SAME DAY. SAME CONDITIONS.

The dyno was all done under the same conditions as stated.
I dont know where you think that this was done with different tires /etc.

The gains are there. The manifold does improve trq by 20+.

It has been tested side by side with the stock manifold from day one.
Not only can you see the gains in the sheet. But you can FEEL them in the seat.
It's basic physics. If nothing is slipping, then the lines would cross at the same point in the graph for both torque and hp. The fact that they didn't means that the rpm was reading differently at the same part of the graph, which shouldn't happen.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
They do not always cross... But they are always the SAME @ 5252.

Whatever HP you have at 5252 is how much torque you have at 5252.

T = [HP x 5252] / rpm

T = torque (in lb-ft)
HP = horsepower
5252 = constant
rpm = revolutions per minute

However the "before" in your terms is the HP chart, your "after" is the torque chart. each graph contains a before and after. Yes they both have the same HP at this point, but if it is not at 5252 rpm torque will NOT match/cross at this point with it.

What you and Matt are not remembering is HP crossing is not necessarily at 5252 RPM the HP chart.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor

I do have to say 1 thing... Matt you were pretty quick to claim 5 torque numbers, if you were looking for explanation, that is one thing, but you instantly wanted to knock it. If the MPH reading went the opposite way you thought (which is very well could have) the gains would be even BETTER than shown. But you did want to get off on your foot and claim less.

I know ZZP will be hard on this manifold, and so be it; Mostly becuase they were not the first to come up with the idea, test it, or such. You guys are pioneers for many of the cobalt items, but no way can be for every item. I give you guys props for taking it to this level in the community we are at now.

Also just wanted to state at least we dyno tested before and after with no other changes. Many of your bolt on items at ZZP do not even offer this information on your site; along with many other companies.
Sorry, but you are way off, here. First, I said 5 ft lbs, because I am looking at the hp graph and calculating torque equally for both intakes. The mph pickup did not go the opposite way that I thought, because it is easy to see which way it is off by looking at the graphs.

As far as zzp knocking your intake, you are again way off. Your statemant is what's backwards. You said that we are knocking your product because we don't sell one. Now lets be realistic- If we did sell one, would we be more inclined to praise yours? Seriously?

Lastly, you must be joking about our dyno testing. We dyno test more Cobalt parts and modifications than you could possibly imagine. The numbers are out there. I just take a more careful approach to releasing numbers, meaning that I am cautious with claims that can easily vary drastically out in the field.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor

They do not always cross... But they are always the SAME @ 5252.

Whatever HP you have at 5252 is how much torque you have at 5252.

T = [HP x 5252] / rpm

T = torque (in lb-ft)
HP = horsepower
5252 = constant
rpm = revolutions per minute

However the "before" in your terms is the HP chart, your "after" is the torque chart. each graph contains a before and after. Yes they both have the same HP at this point, but if it is not at 5252 rpm torque will NOT match/cross at this point with it.

What you and Matt are not remembering is HP crossing is not necessarily at 5252 RPM.
You are both missing my point. I'm not talking about 5252rpms. I am talking about how both intakes made the same hp at 73mph. Because of this, they should also both make the same torque at 73mph. If they don't, then it means that the rpm at 73mph was not the same in both tests. Consequently, if the rpm was not the same at the same mph, then there was either clutch slippage(or tirespin), the tire diameter was changed, or the rpm pickup or calculation was inaccurate on at least one of the two tests.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor

Theroretically you are 100% correct. We will have to look into this.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor

After looking at the charts closer, I don't believe that it is clutch slip. The percentage of error seems to be a little over 4% regardless of where I check on the chart. At 73mph, torque should be equal, but the new intake shows a little over 4% more torque. At abour 96.5mph, the hp is again the same, but torque varies by a little over 4% once again. My conclusion is that the rpm calibration was altered a little more than 4% between these tests, whether intentional or not.

Remember, this is math, not opinions.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor

Theroretically you are 100% correct. We will have to look into this.
Thanks. We would all like to see boost plotted on these graphs as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM

In for stock turbo gains...
Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 PM

Good eye matt. I didn't pay too much attention to that chart. Mostly because I prefer to see the rpm, not the speed. Lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
Good eye matt. I didn't pay too much attention to that chart. Mostly because I prefer to see the rpm, not the speed. Lol.
Dyno testing happens again Saturday.

We will be doing a 20, 25 and 30 PSI pull with the stock manifold. Then a 20, 25 and 30 psi pull with the TTR manifold.

We will compare each manifold before and after on the same graph.

We will watch to make sure we dont see clutch slip or pickup calabration error again.

Quick Reply: Turbo Tech Racing LNF Intake Manifold!!