Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

Launching the Automatic - Brake Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Blur
Halfcent, you mentioned needing to upgrade the torque converter after 250 ft-lbs. Who makes an aftermarket upgrade?
x2 I'm also interested.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not know of anybody that "makes" a converter that you can simply buy. Most such things are custom made from a core part. You supply the shop with the converter, and they modify it for you. IPT transmission did mine.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
I do not know of anybody that "makes" a converter that you can simply buy. Most such things are custom made from a core part. You supply the shop with the converter, and they modify it for you. IPT transmission did mine.
What did it run you? So if I bought a GM torque converter I could have a transmission shop build it up to a higher stall?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm old school

It was $500. And yes.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 AM

With my automatic Cobalt and its modifications I am often asked how to launch it. So I thought I'd make a sticky about the technique known as Brake Starting. Most drag racing cars use automatics, and this is the technique they use.

The brake start works like this: With your car positioned on the start line, hold your regular brakes (not the parking brake) and place the car in gear. This simple act is called Brake Torqueing. Apply full pressure to your brake pedal.

Now go to Wide Open Throttle (WOT). Your tach will stop increasing at a particular RPM. That RPM is known as Stall Speed. It the fastest your Torque Converter will allow the engine to turn without the wheels turning.

At this point, release the brake pedal. Car takes off.

General notes:
This practice causes your transmission fluid inside the torque converter to absorb all of the torque from your engine turning when the wheels are not. This generates a lot of heat, and will destroy your fluid if you hold the Stall Speed any longer then necessary. Once you achieve stall, you should be releasing the brake within a second. Vehicles that use this technique should install an extra transmission fluid heat exchanger. They are rather cheap.

Brake starting should produce a cleaner initial start then a manual clutch can. The reason is due to the fact that the torque is already at the wheels before you even begin moving. Only your brakes are preventing the wheels from turning. A clutch start sends a jolt of torque through the trans and axles at the launch, which can create huge stresses on parts, causing things like the commonly known broken axle.

Brake Torqueing works on all automatic trans equipped cars, front or rear wheel drive. However, on a rear wheel drive, you probably won't achieve Stall. The rear wheels will more then likely start to turn due to the rear brakes not having enough clamping power to stop the power being delivered by the engine.

Cobalt Specific notes:
The stock stall speed on the 4T45E torque converter installed in the Cobalt is about 2400 RPM. Additionally, the converter is the weakest part of the transmission, designed only to accept about 250 ft/lbs of torque while the trans itself can handle about 320. A typical stage 2 turbo system (when such a thing finally comes around) that doesn't require you to upgrade your drive train in any way will work fine in a stock setup. Anything over 250 ft/lbs however should upgrade the converter to a heavy duty 3000 RPM stall.

The Cobalt has traction control which will interfere with this kind of launch. To overcome that problem, select first gear, or "L" depending on your model year. There is no difference in the transmissions, only the label on the gear selector is different. This will turn off traction control. Also, the Cobalt will shift to second gear during WOT acceleration even though you are only in first. After this shift occurs, slide the selector into second. This won't change anything except to allow the car to shift to third. Just like before, even though your are in second, it will still up shift one gear. It will not shift to third however if only first gear is selected. Once the car is in third, select "D"

The 4T45E has an open differential. Brake starting will probably result in one wheel spinning while the other one stands still. Without an LSD, you will need to practice your starts and vary your brake torqued throttle launch speed to get good launch traction.
WOW, I had no idea how many ppl have never heard of "Power Braking" b4. Good write up.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Breaking loose - burning tires

I realize it's a difficult concept to read and understand, but if you just go out and do it once, you'll see how it works. Here, do this:

Go out on some open road. Put your car in normal old ordinary "Drive" and floor it. The car will accelerate in first gear all the way to around 6500 RPM where it will shift automatically to second and continue accelerating. Just like it should.

Now...One more time...Try this...

Put the gear selector in first or low depending on how your selector is labeled. Its the furthest position back you can move the selector.

Floor it. The car will accelerate in first gear all the way to around 6500 RPM where it will shift automatically to second and continue accelerating. EVEN THOUGH THE SELECTOR IS STILL IN FIRST! Then, simply continue accelerating at WOT and slide the selector up to second. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. The car is already in second and still accelerating. Doing this will allow the trans to now shift to 3rd, EVEN THOUGH THE SELECTOR IS STILL IN SECOND!

The whole purpose of doing this is to turn T/C off for your launch. That's it!
Tried it! On a rural black-top (tar and pea gravel). When the brakes are released, the right (front of course!) tire breaks loose and spins, the tachometer jumps to 5K, and then pulls to 6500 and shifts. While its dramatic, I'm not sure if it'll produce a lower E.T. with excessive wheel spin... Limited Slip Differential would reduce the wheel spin but I don't have that option installed.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Great post, This does actually help your launches.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by INDColtsFan18
Great post, This does actually help your launches.
With an LSD tranny, yes. Without LSD, it depends how much traction you can get. If the ground is slick at all, one wheel(usually the right wheel) will lose traction, if your tires are spinning, then I dunno if your launches are any better.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 AM

my stock 2.4L will only spin a few times (depending on surface), then take off, It's still faster then a dry start with no power brake. Now when I get tuned,header,exhaust,intake, that may be a differnt story.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM

My R compounds dont slide at all I kill everyone at launch.

Oh and I also read something about the burnout box, unless you have R-compounds or specific drag tires you dont need to waste time with it, If you have any type of tread, dont waste time with it, I always go around it because treaded tires(especially on weak little cars like we have) dont spin enough to make steam and smoke and the water sits in the treads of the tires until you stop spinning and while waiting at the line drip onto the track surface until you do your run(hitting it and loosing traction).
Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
My R compounds dont slide at all I kill everyone at launch.

Oh and I also read something about the burnout box, unless you have R-compounds or specific drag tires you dont need to waste time with it, If you have any type of tread, dont waste time with it, I always go around it because treaded tires(especially on weak little cars like we have) dont spin enough to make steam and smoke and the water sits in the treads of the tires until you stop spinning and while waiting at the line drip onto the track surface until you do your run(hitting it and loosing traction).
You are correct sir...you can still do a burnout if wanted, just stay clear of the wet box.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Cool Going into the left lane?

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR
With an LSD tranny, yes. Without LSD, it depends how much traction you can get. If the ground is slick at all, one wheel(usually the right wheel) will lose traction, if your tires are spinning, then I dunno if your launches are any better.
I don't know whats going on.... since Ive installed the Jet GM Module, if I attempt a brake torque launch from L-1, both front wheels are spinning through first gear and the car is slithering into the left lane and nearly off the road to the point I have to let off... at that point the car jerks to the right as the tire get traction since I've been steering to the right trying to avoid going off the left side of the road. Obviously going WOT on brake release is NOT the way for a low ET. Anyone had this problem? My build sheet does not show LSD but it sure acts like it.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm old school

First, what is the Jet GM module? That doesn't sound good.

Second, If you are losing traction coming out of the brake torque, then you are starting off with too much accelerator. Back off from WOT a bit a find the spot the gives you traction at brake release. The floating out of your lane thing is completely caused by the traction thing. Get rid of one, fix the other.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Cool Jet GM Module

First, what is the Jet GM module? That doesn't sound good.

Second, If you are losing traction coming out of the brake torque, then you are starting off with too much accelerator. Back off from WOT a bit a find the spot the gives you traction at brake release. The floating out of your lane thing is completely caused by the traction thing. Get rid of one, fix the other.
The "Jet Module" is a Jet Performance GM Performance Module that you install on the J-2 (BLACK) connector of the E67 ECU... in other threads its accused of not working by those who don't have one and praised as a good alternative to a tune by those who have installed one on their LE5 engine. Anyway it seems to produce more low end power than previously when I could brake torque launch at full throttle, break'em loose, spin ten feet or so, catch traction and be gone! So now its let off the throttle a bit or sit-n-smoke-em! And its spinning both tires like its got LSD, could the traction control be coming into play? Its obvious that there's no rev limiter action during these launches!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm old school

Okay, thats what I thought. I don't like those signal modifier chips. They usually just resistors that mess with the IAT signal. But anyway, I doubt it has anything to do with your traction issue.

If you are spinning the tires, then the traction control should be off. If the T/C off indicator is on, then the traction control is off. If you are launching using this method in this thread, then the T/C is off.

You need to find the sweet spot in the accelerator that gives you the most torque your tires will hold at brake release. If you lower the tire pressures in the front, you can get more starting traction and hence more torque at the launch.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i floor it from a stop all do is spin and low traction l need some engine mounts or a td
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by Jimmys2007CobaltSS/C
when i floor it from a stop all do is spin and low traction l need some engine mounts or a td
No, I think what you need to do is read this thread from the begining again. Nowhere in the instructions does it say to just "floor it from a stop".
Old 12-20-2008, 01:58 PM

i thoguht i had it but now im more confused i have a 2.2 auto lets say i was racing i keep it in drive floor thebrake and keep the accelerator from 3500-4500 then just release the brake right? well better yet what rpm should i keepp it on for wen i lift off the brake?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
i thoguht i had it but now im more confused i have a 2.2 auto lets say i was racing i keep it in drive floor thebrake and keep the accelerator from 3500-4500 then just release the brake right? well better yet what rpm should i keepp it on for wen i lift off the brake?
well automatics have a converter in them and those will only let the rpms climb so high with out the car moving so you really dont have much control over it(i dont think that the stall converter in the stock tranny would "slip" all the way up to 3500-4500)
Old 12-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Come to a stop, press the brake full force, then step down on the gas. The engine will rev to its stall speed, then release the brakes and go. What part of that isn't making sense to you?

Don't worry about the RPMs, they are dicated by the design of the torque converter, temperatures, engine torque at given rpms, all factors beyond your control. Just full brake, full gas, release brake. Away you go
Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm old school

If this is what you are doing, then you are doing it wrong.

As those above have stated, you can not physically get the RPM that high from a stop. The stock stall speed is 2400.

And you don't start in "D". You start in either "L" or "1" depending on how your car is labeled.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is what you are doing, then you are doing it wrong.

As those above have stated, you can not physically get the RPM that high from a stop. The stock stall speed is 2400.

And you don't start in "D". You start in either "L" or "1" depending on how your car is labeled.
its a auto leave it in drive, i have timeslips from drags using different method many times. this was the worst one
Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyRockstar
its a auto leave it in drive, i have timeslips from drags using different method many times. this was the worst one
interesting.....
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by ChevyRockstar
It is truely amazing me to come back to my own threads and see how people post without even reading just the very first post in the thread.

I will recap the first post for you. It says that on the Cobalt specifically (that's important, because it means it doesn't apply to your silly Camaro) the traction control system will interfere with a good launch. So by simply starting in "L" instead of "D", you fix the problem.

Last edited by Halfcent; 02-27-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:04 PM

It is truely amazing me to come back to my own threads and see how people post without even reading just the very first post in the thread.

I will recap the first post for you. It says that on the Cobalt specifically (that's important, because it means it doesn't apply to your silly Camaro) the traction control system will interfere with a good launch. So by simply starting in "L" instead of "D", you fix the problem.

Last edited by Halfcent; 02-27-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Launching the Automatic - Brake Starting