Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clunking coming from inside transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clunking coming from inside transmission

I have an 05 SS with 71k i bought it at about 67k, and everyday is a new surprise.

I have noticed for a while now that anytime I accelerate then let off the gas, that the steering wheel twitches. I understand that this is somewhat normal for fwd cars.
But when im coasting and i hit the brakes the steering wheel turns a few inches left and proceeds to pull that direction. I understand this is not normal.
After applying the brakes, even if i take off my foot off, the car continues to turn that way slightly, until i give it gas. if i hit the gas hard and suddenly then the car pops and the wheel straightens out, if i ease on it the wheel straightens out with no pop.

If i take off from a stop the car makes a clunking/pop noise, and i can only assume that the wheels are straightening out from being turned left because i apply the brakes and feel them shift as i come to the stop. (just like hitting them when im coasting) Now if i come to a stop, then turn my wheel a quarter turn right i can feel a shift, and then i dont have a pop or clunk when i take off.

Finally the wheel area makes that same popping sound sometime when i upshift it happens as i release the clutch, the car kinda jerks and pops. But this isnt always.

I jacked up both wheels yesterday to listen to the cv axle, and then moving the axle back and forth there was a clunking sound coming from in the transmission.

what does this sound like to you? Im kinda lost here.