Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch or bearing? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch or bearing? (Video)

So here is the run down. I have never had a problem with my car transmission wise. Today i was doing my usual just riding around town and i floored it in second up to about 5k and shifted normally through the rest of the gears (around 2.5k) When i went to downshift when coming up to a stop light it wouldnt go into any gear. So i pulled over and stopped the car, left it running and it went into gear again i drove around for about 15 more minutes ran into no problems. Only thing now is this noise.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
wow that sounds amazing. Sounds like something internal. how does your clutch feel?
Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
wow that sounds amazing. Sounds like something internal. how does your clutch feel?
As far as the clutch it feels fine. Its not taking any more force than it usually does to get the car moving. Its just really loud now. It would be nice if it was something non-clutch related because then its covered under warranty.

If you listen to when i press the clutch all the way you can hear the clutch slowing down and the grinding with it. So When the car is in neutral and the clutch isnt pressed in there is no noise what so ever i can press the clutch in and there is no noise but as soon as i press the clutch in and start putting gas behind it thats when it starts.

Last edited by genosis8703; 02-08-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
So generally when you push the clutch in and noise happens, its your input shaft bearing. which is a part of the transmission.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:59 PM

So i took it to the dealer and they said i need to replace pretty much everything clutch wise. I crapped myself when they told me it was going to cost $2350 before tax. Can you believe that they wanted almost 750 bucks just for the flywheel. So now im going to order the GMPP upgrade kit and a ZZP flywheel. But it will still cost me $1094 in labor. Its time like these i miss having a RWD car. It took me a few hours to do a clutch install on my old camaro. But it was also no where near as fun to drive.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
You can do the clutch replacement in the driveway with jackstands.

Haven't listened to the video (youtube is blocked at work), but I would caution you on taking the dealers recommendation right away. They are extra happy to always replace things to find the problem (you know since they make money on each part replaced and the labor). If you have a local performance shop go over there and ask them what they think about the sound.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk

Haven't listened to the video (youtube is blocked at work), but I would caution you on taking the dealers recommendation right away. They are extra happy to always replace things to find the problem (you know since they make money on each part replaced and the labor). If you have a local performance shop go over there and ask them what they think about the sound.
I usually dont mind rolling around under the car to fix things but the extent that you have to go through to replace the clutch on a FWD... i just dont have the patience or back for it. Im not a teen anymore lol. As of right now to figure out the issue fully the trans has to come out to figure out if it is actually clutch of trans related so i might as well throw an upgraded clutch in it since im about to get it tuned. Since they agreed to let me provide the parts the labor isn't going to be too bad. If they find it to be the trans then its covered under my carmax extended warranty.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 PM

So i just got back from the dealership and looking at the parts they said were bad. the bearing was definitely bad but that wasn't the only problem. Half of the rods that hold both the plates together for the clutch disk springs were broken. So the clutch was literally falling apart. So tomorrow everything is going in and then i can have fun driving the car again (after break in obviously). If i would have tried driving it more i would have most likely toasted the trans.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
So generally when you push the clutch in and noise happens, its your input shaft bearing. which is a part of the transmission.
In an effort to save from making another thread i have the new clutch in and the clutch pedal had no resistance what so ever. Before the install it was nice and firm. Do our cars have a self adjusting clutch or something? On my 98 camaro the pedal never changed.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Could be a different clutch was in the car before. There should be some resistance but not a significant amount with the GMPP clutch.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Could be a different clutch was in the car before. There should be some resistance but not a significant amount with the GMPP clutch.
So from what i could find it was a factory clutch in the car It has Sach Written all over it. Also in the close up of the disk you can see all the broken rods. Im going to take it back this week and have then bleed the system again. After 200 miles its still just way too soft. I havent been able to open it up since im not at 500 miles yet but im looking forward to going into full boost with this car. Its so hard resisting flooring it with all the turbo noises lol.
Attached Thumbnails clutch-1.jpg   clutch-2.jpg   clutch-3.jpg   clutch-4.jpg