Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Ever have shifting assembly issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever have shifting assembly issues?

I have an 06 SS SC. I have owned the car for almost 3 years. About a year ago I needed to replace the shifting assembly and the clutch. Expensive but no biggie. Since then I have also had the shear pin replaced twice. Never had a single issue and then I have had to mess with my shifting assembly 4 times in less than a year. I feel the shop I go to is just not installing something right. Have you had repeat issues with your shifting assemblies? Maybe this is a common Cobalt issue that I am unaware of...
Old 05-25-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
what exactly is wrong with it?
Old 05-25-2015, 02:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had to get a cracked bell housing replaced, cracked at the trans mount(front)

so they pulled the trans and reinstalled it. Gave it back to me with no reverse and tons of play in the shifter.

the part that goes around the ball on the shifter stick was damaged or broken(nylon piece). I had them order a shifter assembly since the part isnt sold separately. -_- i myself bought a twm short shifter because it was time for something new

they install the new oem part and my short shift and it has the same amount of play but got reverse yeay

i think they just did a crap job on adjusting the cables.

in gear you can move it back and forth. when i put it into first it moves itself towards 3rd, note it did all this after they put the trans back in and screwed up the cables me think
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technically the shear pin is breaking. This is the 3rd time since they replaced the shifting assembly and clutch. I think what is happening is the the new shifting assembly is fitting a little more snug then the original one. Or at least however its seated now the shear pin is getting worn down by something some where. I literally call feel it going bad about a week or two before it finally breaks. I mentioned this to my mechanic, and it seemed to turn on a light bulb for them. Hopefully they check it in greater detail and see if there is any rubbing going on or something. But ever since I had the shifting assembly put in the clutch has needed replaced and now I have gone through 3 sheer pins. This particular pin is what goes into the transmission. So it shears instead of ripping up your tranny.