Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be down if they are proven in the racing world. I dont live far from shep trans and would love to put one in my car to give it hell at the strip. Longer first gear, slightly shorter second, shorter third and shorter or the same forth would be great. Also keep the stock or a bigger overdrive for fifth.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Quaife has had a 6-Speed conversion out for the F35 for many years now...
Yes i know but i don't think they are stong enough and the price is through the roof lol..
Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
[SIZE="2"]I would be happy to give him the guts out of a trans I took apart with a broken case and or one of my spares[SIZE="2"]
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mongorat427
Quaifes a bunch of Idiots. Their **** is way over priced and made for the the high bucks market. I dont even know why they wasted their time on the F35.
Ariel Atom
Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by brainchasm
So, just pie in the sky dreaming here...

Say this product is ready to go and I order one...

1. would sending my tranny back as a core be necessary? before receiving new tranny? after?
2. are there possible options to request? like if my current tranny has no LSD, can I buy the new one with an LSD?
3. isn't this an ideal time to upgrade the clutch? could I send a clutch, or request one, and have it all built together?

Again, not actually requesting these things, just asking if they're feasible/possible.
Yes, they require a core. I'm not sure about the before or after part. Check their website.

Yes, they usually offer options like that. Check their website.

Yes, it is an ideal time to upgrade the clutch since you already have the trans removed. The clutch isn't part of, or connected to, the transmission though... all you would need to do, is order one, and install it. The Pressure Plate/Clutch/Flywheel assembly attaches to the Crank... not the transmission.

Quaifes a bunch of Idiots. Their **** is way over priced and made for the the high bucks market. I dont even know why they wasted their time on the F35.
You're a bunch of idiots.

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
Yes i know but i don't think they are stong enough and the price is through the roof lol..
How would you know how strong they are?

The price is quite high though.

Originally Posted by shabodah
Ariel Atom
Zing!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if they would put in the 4.45 ring and pinion if we supplied it.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont see why not
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by terry11
I know some guys are blaming our 3rd gear breakage issue on "case flex", John and I talked briefly about that as well and he said the evo guys were claiming the same thing. He thinks it is simply the size of the gear. The gears themselves get smaller as you upshift so there is less mass=strength.
I think it could be a from both, and solving one or the other could keep the trans from having issues. More than likely, the shep option would be more reliable; however, there has been some serious power put down through a few braced stock F35s. Doing both would probably be the best bet for those DD'ing big power...

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
as awesome as it would be, i just don't see it feasible to get that many people to buy. put me on the list though. i am going to need it eventually
X2...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 PM

interested
Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
I would be down if they are proven in the racing world. I dont live far from shep trans and would love to put one in my car to give it hell at the strip. Longer first gear, slightly shorter second, shorter third and shorter or the same forth would be great. Also keep the stock or a bigger overdrive for fifth.
He also said something about a final drive option down the road. The ratio changes, however, I don't know if we will have any say in which way they will be going. I think it all has to do with the pitch he chooses to run for the most holding power and how that corresponds with the ratios we have now. This is directly from shep yesterday.

"It would not be a drastic change without changing all of the ratios which again adds to the cost significantly.

I suggest just staying close to stock and maybe in the future we can offer a final drive change."

"A longer first gear will be very expensive to make due to the input shaft being part of 1st gear. Anything is possible but they will need to be willing to pay. The taller final is common because it keeps the same rpm drop and lengthens every gear. I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves as far as that goes though. I am first concerned with getting the quotes and getting commitments for the 3rd and 4th first."

[QUOTE=Edubs;5777862]I think it could be a from both, and solving one or the other could keep the trans from having issues. More than likely, the shep option would be more reliable; however, there has been some serious power put down through a few braced stock F35s. Doing both would probably be the best bet for those DD'ing big power...

This option will be plenty for the big power dd. There isn't enough info out there on case bracing and personally I would listen to john as I have brought that exact issue to him over the phone.

Last edited by terry11; 05-13-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by terry11
This option will be plenty for the big power dd. There isn't enough info out there on case bracing and personally I would listen to john as I have brought that exact issue to him over the phone.
I think we should just leave it till he gets his hands on a trans to review. I just brought it up because it is worth noting that this trans has been pushed well past 500WHP with just bracing and no issues...

...to simply dismiss it because the Mitsubishi community said the same thing about a completely different trans is not a good idea.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM

excited
Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

OP can you keep all the updated information on the first post?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
I think we should just leave it till he gets his hands on a trans to review. I just brought it up because it is worth noting that this trans has been pushed well past 500WHP with just bracing and no issues...

...to simply dismiss it because the Mitsubishi community said the same thing about a completely different trans is not a good idea.
If they researched to brace the case it would be an easy add on, and should only add a couple hundred bucks to it. I would pay for that as well as the upgraded gears.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

terry11 it would be nice to have a longer first gear, but not needed totally, I can rev to 8000rpms which should give me around 45mph prolly. I guess we just wait and see what they can provide us.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

If they researched to brace the case it would be an easy add on, and should only add a couple hundred bucks to it. I would pay for that as well as the upgraded gears.
Exactly what I was getting at...

Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM

sub'd for gear slammin'
Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
...it was my understanding that the final drive on our transmissions was actually set by the Input and Output shaft Diameters. I could be wrong, but I thought I remember reading that from a VERY reliable source. Meaing there are 4.05 gear sets and there are 4.45 gear sets, along with whatever the LNF is. 3.83, 3.73... whatever it is. I'm pretty certain of that actually. I'll see if I can find the thread where he was talking about it.

Originally Posted by Edubs

Exactly. The case flexing was an obvious issue with the LSJ, which is why they updated the LNF with a thicker trans case. Further bracing is obviously needed.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM

terry11 it would be nice to have a longer first gear, but not needed totally, I can rev to 8000rpms which should give me around 45mph prolly. I guess we just wait and see what they can provide us.
Like john said, if someone is willing to pay anything is possible, but being that 1st gear is a part of the input shaft it would be very expensive. Right now he just wants to fix our main issue, not get ahead of ourselves, and get a good rep going for himself in our community. I know we're going to have a hard time getting guys to buy... thats just a fact
Old 05-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Exactly. The case flexing was an obvious issue with the LSJ, which is why they updated the LNF with a thicker trans case. Further bracing is obviously needed.
So your saying you want him to research it and possibly offer this as an option?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:40 PM

Well to be honest I'm not gonna throw out a bunch of money for a stronger factory trans, then have to turn around, pull my trans out again to have a longer 1st gear put in.

I understand what John is saying, but from a consumer point of view, I don't want to have to keep pulling my trans out, shipping it and put it back in everytime something new becomes available that I want for my transmission.

IMO, its better to have those options right from the get go, get them out of the way, install and enjoy.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Well to be honest I'm not gonna throw out a bunch of money for a stronger factory trans, then have to turn around, pull my trans out again to have a longer 1st gear put in.

I understand what John is saying, but from a consumer point of view, I don't want to have to keep pulling my trans out, shipping it and put it back in everytime something new becomes available that I want for my transmission.

IMO, its better to have those options right from the get go, get them out of the way, install and enjoy.
ya but those will be options that very few of the people get here considering the price difference. Id be thrilled if he came out with a stock tranny that could positively hold the power we all easily make.... at the cheapest price point. Remember they have to sell to the masses, not the unique.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Baron7700
ya but those will be options that very few of the people get here considering the price difference. Id be thrilled if he came out with a stock tranny that could positively hold the power we all easily make.... at the cheapest price point. Remember they have to sell to the masses, not the unique.
Shepard Racing didn't have that problem with selling DSM trans upgrades in Stages, most people I knew opted for the stage 2, not stage 1 rebuild. Stage 3 was reserved for the hardcore enthusiast.

A DSM stage 1 is basically what we will get (if that) minus options.

If you guys want a stronger rebuilt stock trans why not go with ZZP's?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Shepard Racing didn't have that problem with selling DSM trans upgrades in Stages, most people I knew opted for the stage 2, not stage 1 rebuild. Stage 3 was reserved for the hardcore enthusiast.

A DSM stage 1 is basically what we will get (if that) minus options.

If you guys want a stronger rebuilt stock trans why not go with ZZP's?
There is nothing wrong with going zzp, I back them 110%. But when we are talking the difference between a 100% stock tranny with a couple modifications compaired to what shep will offer with new stronger gears themselves and that is what he does on a daily basis. Also he will be able to get things to us cheaper because he prolly already has all the metal paid for just has to get it cut.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 PM

That wasn't the goal at all at the beginning of this at all. Changing gear ratios was never discussed we are just aiming to fix a huge issue for us right now. The ratios are only going to be changed to accommodate for the different pitch. It will be very slight and barely noticeable

You can e-mail him if you feel that strongly about this but you have to put yourself in his shoes and remember he's not going to spend tons of money out of his pocket for an option that you and maybe 2 other people will ever buy. There are other ways of getting around our "short" first gear.

Quick Reply: FINALLY an option for us f35 guys. READ!