Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

(How to) make your clutch stop slipping. Find out inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2.4 5spd has 975 miles on it. I read this thread a few days and a mere 150 miles ago. I did have a 1-2 slip and was babying my clutch. I have shifted at the higher rpm's since I read this post and ............ well....... IT IS GRABBING BETTER !!! I read this whole thread and am not sure any 2.4's tried this. I did and have noticed the difference. Maybe it took less time due to the newness of my clutch ??? Flame me for this question, I do not care, but......... I taught myself how to drive stick 20 years ago. Is it safer to downshift downhill or put it in nuetral ???? How about corners, do you wait till the last minute to downshift as to not stress the clutch, tranny and over-rev the motor ???? I ask cuz this is where I generally slip my clutch. I am too old for lessons. What is this *rev-matching* and *heel-toe method* stuff ?? Educate this old dude. FYI.... I did not drive stick for 10 years before I drove this SS off the lot. Help me out here. Sorry if I got off topic.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Well it looks like this is working for almost every one that tries it.

Rev matching is reving the motor a bit it get it to the RPM it would be at on a down shift if you just let out the clutch.

This is good for both the clutch and the trans.

I think we still need more people to test this and post befor we ask for it to be a sticky though.

Later
Old 10-30-2006, 02:03 PM

I think we should keep this going for a little while longer, and then send an email to GM with the link to this post attached.

Hopefully we will get some responses from GM? It may not be a warranty thing, but maybe they will ahve some insight on what we can do to help the problem
Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 PM

That's a good idea but this thread seams to have died off big time.

Any one els care to coment on this?

Later
Old 10-31-2006, 10:14 AM

Im gonna throw my .02 cents worth in. I tested this theory before ever reading the thread and I agree whole heartedly. These cars were designed to be fast and competitive. I drove it like my old civic, and like my moms tacoma... My clutch wouldm bog down like hell and I would take forever to get up in the rpms in 2nd and 3rd. I siwtched to extremely spirited driving (never allowing a shift below 3K, almost always redlining, but not hitting the limiter), and I have seen NO problems what so ever. Guess thats just the way the car is. Everyone told me I was going to break it within 5K miles by driving like that without babying the engine.... well, looks like if I baby it, it's gonna break! They can call me crazy, but they dont drive it and know nothing about it. YAY TO HIGH REVVING SHIFTS!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:22 AM

Any one els?

This works guys try it and post back and let us know how it worked for you.

Later
Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 AM

I've only had mine for a few months, but from the time I got it until now, I've slowly changed my driving habits to match what badmunkey described, and agree 100%. It took me awhile to figure out that this car was a little different than most. I found it really hard to shift smoothly without majorly slipping the clutch. Now that I'm shifting at 3K rpms, the clutch seems to be much better. I have also found that if you test slightly different rpms in the 2.75K-3.25K range, you can get the upshifts to be as smooth as an auto. I have also noticed my gas mileage increase as well. Great write-up and hope it will help all the manual drivers on the site.

One thing that might help your theory as well is to see if anybody w/ the Saabs that have our same transmission have similar problems. Also, is there any published material from GM noting optimal shift points? I thought most cars had that info. in the owner's manual, but ours don't.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 AM

nope, just a shift light around 6.5K. i haven't seen much else on shift points...
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 AM

I also tried badmunky's theory and holy **** was i surprised. as soon as i got done reading i thought im gonna go check this out. and after about 50-60 miles i could start too feel the difference in pressure thru the clutch pedal and how it performed, great write up.

Was this Been stickied yet??? I think it should be, Sticky. YAY
Old 11-13-2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
I've only had mine for a few months, but from the time I got it until now, I've slowly changed my driving habits to match what badmunkey described, and agree 100%. It took me awhile to figure out that this car was a little different than most. I found it really hard to shift smoothly without majorly slipping the clutch. Now that I'm shifting at 3K rpms, the clutch seems to be much better. I have also found that if you test slightly different rpms in the 2.75K-3.25K range, you can get the upshifts to be as smooth as an auto. I have also noticed my gas mileage increase as well. Great write-up and hope it will help all the manual drivers on the site.

One thing that might help your theory as well is to see if anybody w/ the Saabs that have our same transmission have similar problems. Also, is there any published material from GM noting optimal shift points? I thought most cars had that info. in the owner's manual, but ours don't.
The saabs do not have this problem becouse they have a dulemass flywheel and a differant clutch when this trans is used in there cars.

I think this should be a sticky now. Enuff people have tested this and confermed it works to justify it in my mind.
And there have been many that confermed that this is how they drive normaly and have no problems.

Later
Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im going to rebump this thread....because ive been doing this since the day this thread was posted and havent had a single slip.

This REALLY worked for me.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM

^That will be $29.95 please.

LOL

Later
Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 AM

Haha, so wtf is a bump? i see it everywhere yet haven't found an explanation or bothered to ask until now.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(^ bump the topic back to the top of the forum list)

I read this post before I got my 07 SS S/C and decided to try it when I got it. I compared shifting at low and high rpms, and what do you know??? Shifting higher does feel a lot better. Granted I'm new to stick, but as soon as I got the hang of it it became very clear that it wasnt my fault the 1-2 shift was bogging/slipping when shifting at lower rpms. Anything between 2.75--3.5k is absolutely perfect for this car. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 AM

Haha, thanks for clarifying on the bump

I was almost out of gas yesterday. We have two low fuel warnings that I know of, but I hit a third last night heading to the gas station. Apparently I put 12.15 gallons in a 12 gallon tank.... I was shifting at 1.5K just to keep from using too much gas, otherwise I'd be pushing it to the station. So after I get the gas and it's all good, I got to drive... what do ya know... it drove like ****! So I spent the next 20 minutes driving like i normally do (3K+ shifts) and it was all back to normal. I'm just glad I actually made it to the gas station.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM

i shift around 3, sometimes a bit higher, i guess thats why i never had any issues, what yer sayin makes sense, you dont buy a car like this and shift at 2 grand LOL.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Best Clutch info EVER
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
(^ bump the topic back to the top of the forum list)

I read this post before I got my 07 SS S/C and decided to try it when I got it. I compared shifting at low and high rpms, and what do you know??? Shifting higher does feel a lot better. Granted I'm new to stick, but as soon as I got the hang of it it became very clear that it wasnt my fault the 1-2 shift was bogging/slipping when shifting at lower rpms. Anything between 2.75--3.5k is absolutely perfect for this car. Thanks!
I think it stands for Bring Up My Post actually. But same thing.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:41 AM

with the mods that i have the clutch is still strong, the clutch only slips once in a blue moon and ONLY if i roll outta first then hammer it, you can see the rpms go up but the car isnt really moving like it should but like i said im rolling outta first then stomping LOL so take that as a grain of sault and its not every time, and i only did that to test, but so far i am actually impressed on how the clutch is holding.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

I've also noticed doing my own experiment(still shifting at 3k+) that while slipping the clutch a tiny bit more off the line results in a lot less of pedal pressure. And when you drive at higher speeds(60mph+) for a few miles (20+) that clutch feels alot stiffer through the pedal.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

I noticed the same thing!! Damn, I didint make a post about it though, I only had my car to test the theory on. But ya its true...Im replacing my clutch as soon as i can though...so dosnt matter
Old 12-21-2006, 12:54 PM

Great write up... I think some cars just got bum clutches and other didn't! Like they got a deal on some shittier clutches or something. Cause in the instance of mine... not one clutch slipping problem! Even with my mods, I can shift at 2k or 7k no difference! But the best write up thus far!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:04 PM

aint gonna like what i have to say.. my clutch went @ 5000 miles.. not my first time owning stick either. i shifted at 3-4000 rpms everytime (its just how i drive) and held BEAUTIFULLY until the moment it went. this dont work for everybody
Old 12-21-2006, 06:17 PM

You will have a bad clutch from time to time that was just messed up when it was new.

Also this will not save your clutch if your doing 2k+ launches all the time and shifting to 2nd while spinning the tires alot.

It also will not help if you power shift the crap out of your car.

Thous things will kill the clutch no mater what you do.

Not saying you did that just giving info to people.

This might not work for some. Every one is differant. But it seams to work for 95% or better of the people that do it.

Later
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM

its been a while since i posted on this thread, i just got the slip from goin from first to second, felt it in first, then shifted to second and was like the car was making noise and moving but not as it should after a second it grabbed and was ok, hence im modded and tuned and drive spirited, i must say its taking a good beating and only has slipped a few times.
gonna look at those bulley clutches when the time comes.

Quick Reply: (How to) make your clutch stop slipping. Find out inside.