Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

KY Clutch - Interest Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Since we are still waiting on a couple pricing things with KY. I did want to pass on and address your post.
Awesome write up, cleared it up a lot for me. I will correct my statement to be, that I hope you are able to get a full faced clutch that will hold up to my needs, or else I will be going with the puck style.

I do have another question. Take 2 identical full faced clutches: one working at say 2500lbs and the other at 2000. First, is this possible? Second, if it is possible, will the 2500lbs clutch be able to hold up to more torque before it slips?

I ask because if you are offering puck styles at lower clamping pressures and they are holding X amount of torque, if you offer the full face at higher pressures, would this compensate it's ability to hold the torque?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Coming soon!

We will see what KY states about offering a full face disc option on the stage 2 & 3, how about that?
Im interested in a clutch as well and would like to see the pricing on a full face disc Stage 3. Also does the torque rating depend on if its full face or 6 puck? I could see it hold my torque if its full face disc.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes Tq does matter with full face or pucked.... I am yet to actually see a full face disc from anyone hold 300+ ft lbs and last. Full faced discs have no good way to dissipate heat, and they unable to keep the power there. When people say they sell a full faced disc. They are mainly meaning the friction disc is not a pucked style friction disc. meaning it has arms off the center of the hub of friction disc.. but in order to make a friction disc that will hold power they can have a perfect circular friction disc with pucks onto the friction disc... Meaning its not a full faced disc, its a pucked friction disc with out the pucked hub so therefore still pucked.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Yes Tq does matter with full face or pucked.... I am yet to actually see a full face disc from anyone hold 300+ ft lbs and last. Full faced discs have no good way to dissipate heat, and they unable to keep the power there. When people say they sell a full faced disc. They are mainly meaning the friction disc is not a pucked style friction disc. meaning it has arms off the center of the hub of friction disc.. but in order to make a friction disc that will hold power they can have a perfect circular friction disc with pucks onto the friction disc... Meaning its not a full faced disc, its a pucked friction disc with out the pucked hub so therefore still pucked.
I think zzp's is like that. I think its an 8 puck but looks like a full face. Anyway it works great. The price is just high.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM

So it looks like anyone that's tuned in an SS/TC is going to a puck style clutch.... Oh well, at least these things are inexpensive enough that changing one every couple years doesn't hurt that bad...
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

Lol..... Yeah I've looked at all the clutches out there and none of them are true full faced. They are pucked..... I know ttr and ky clutch are working on a full faced setup and i will hopefully be testing it soon. it may take months to create such a kit that will hold good power. ill keep you all posted..

Thanks guys
Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Lol..... Yeah I've looked at all the clutches out there and none of them are true full faced. They are pucked..... I know ttr and ky clutch are working on a full faced setup and i will hopefully be testing it soon. it may take months to create such a kit that will hold good power. ill keep you all posted..

Thanks guys
Nobody ever realizes the amount of time required for a project like that before its ready for production.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Isn't the exedy clutch full faced?

And u think a 8 puck clutch would make for a better more stock feel?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Does anyone know if KY is going to offer a flywheel to match their clutch or is the stock one compatible - If it's going to "eat-up" the stock fwheel in a year 's time then they need to offer one that can take some punishment shouldn't they???
Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 68Vette
Does anyone know if KY is going to offer a flywheel to match their clutch or is the stock one compatible - If it's going to "eat-up" the stock fwheel in a year 's time then they need to offer one that can take some punishment shouldn't they???
Recommended stock, I will check if they offer a stock flywheel for ease of getting parts all at one time.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:52 AM

Updates were coming fast and furious for a while, I know it's over a weekend, but just wondering if there's anything new?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sponge14
Updates were coming fast and furious for a while, I know it's over a weekend, but just wondering if there's anything new?
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/driv...elease-269325/