Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

no engine noise, no revs on tach, no good

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no engine noise, no revs on tach, no good

took my 05 ss out for a drive. after about 5 miles, i decide to play around a little bit. take it up to 5700 in second. press clutch. tach drops to zero, lights dim, power steering not powered anymore. driver highly concerned. stop on road side, open hood, check underneath for leaks, everything looks fine. after a minute to compose myself, start car up. car starts, idles very roughly. cel is on. tach stays glued to zero. give a little gas. tach stays glued at zero. coast car back down hill to house. let car sit 15 minutes, starts up, still throws CEL, tach works fine. this is the second time the car has died on me around 50-60 with the clutch depressed. first time it started rough afterwards. anybody have any issues like this before?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:58 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds pretty bad, has not happened to me though. Bring it in to the dealer.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:00 AM

Could be related to power and computer control. mabe something with the trany. Like marcS said take it to a dealer.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:46 AM

i don't want to drive the thing and chance messing it up more. am i correct in assuming that warranty includes travel to the nearest dealer? (even though its more than worth it to me to pay my own money to avoid the nearest dealer. we've taken cars there 11 times over the last 15 years, not once has the problem been fixed correctly the first time) also, i should be entitled to a rental car on their dime if they can't get it back to me in one day, right? my 100+ mile/day commute doesn't look so attractive on foot.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:35 AM

that sounds bad... could be really screwed up PCM chips or something..
definitely needs some sort of repair or items replaced.. hopefully there is no actual powertrain damage etc. and it is just "control system" issues...

If it were me I'd be contacting the dealer that I would prefer to have work on the car, and see about arranging for a flatbed truck to haul the car to the dealership maybe...

I definitely hope they can get it fixed up for you (and yeah, they'd definitely give you rental car to use while it's in the shop).. so far mine hasn't done anything wacky like that.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:08 AM

call ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE if you feel you will encounter "problems" with dealership. Between roadside and the dealership your vehicle will PROBABLY be towed to nearest dealership and if an "overnite" is needed , a free rental. 3/36 B2B, 5/60 Powertrain. This is only my opinion based on the info presented.
The company will only work within warranty usually. You paid for the warranty already, don't give up any money if you dont have to

gm employee
Old 10-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sunburst 2.4L
call ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE if you feel you will encounter "problems" with dealership. Between roadside and the dealership your vehicle will PROBABLY be towed to nearest dealership and if an "overnite" is needed , a free rental. 3/36 B2B, 5/60 Powertrain. This is only my opinion based on the info presented.
The company will only work within warranty usually. You paid for the warranty already, don't give up any money if you dont have to

i agree. you have the warranty. use the roadside assistance. might as well do it the free way!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 PM

It's your crankshaft position sensor! Mine did the exact same thing when i was playing around(happened at redline) scared the crap out of me! i thought i ruined the motor. drove it home 2 miles away shut it off for 5 min. then started it and it was fine. had a cel. I scanned it and that's what came up,bad crankshaft pos. sensor. i only had 3600 mi. The dealer replaced it and good as new!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Just got my cobalt

Originally Posted by dirtySSout
It's your crankshaft position sensor! Mine did the exact same thing when i was playing around(happened at redline) scared the crap out of me! i thought i ruined the motor. drove it home 2 miles away shut it off for 5 min. then started it and it was fine. had a cel. I scanned it and that's what came up,bad crankshaft pos. sensor. i only had 3600 mi. The dealer replaced it and good as new!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I just got my Cobalt SS s/c last week on tuesday( 11/29/05). I had noticed once that the engine was idling rough where it was bogging up and down between 500 and 1200 rpm. I attributed it to being that maybe supercharged engines act differently ( my first supercharged car) Then on Saturday night I was coming home from the night club at 4am. While accelerating in 2nd gear and was coming up on 4000 rpm when the engine cut out and the tach went to 0. I pulled the car over, tried starting it again. It would turn over but not started. Then I called onstar, they ran a diagnostic and said the transmission reported a failure in the ignition system. We ended up pushing the car home since i was 2 blocks away and roadside was going to take forever. The next morning, she started right up. I took her in on monday morning and just found out today that the CPS sensor was bad. And from what I'm reading, it's happened to several people. WOrst part is that the loaner they gave me is a base Cavalier. I want my Cobalt BACK!!!!!!!!

- Juan

PS i only have 412 miles on her.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM

I had a friend have the same problem. They pointed to the ignition control. The coil in the ignition box/switch, when heated up to high temps... when power went from high RPM to low very rapidly, would cause that coil to "pop" and cut power to major engine parts and electrical instruments. Letting it cool down a few minutes is probably why you could restart the car. Just passin along the info... DAve
Old 06-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dirtySSout
Same exact thing happened to me today! I want to take it to the dealer for a new sensor, but I know they'll give me **** about all my mods. Then I'll have to pay for the sensor and install! I have no clue how much that is, I'm sure its not cheap.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by turboeco
Same exact thing happened to me today! I want to take it to the dealer for a new sensor, but I know they'll give me **** about all my mods. Then I'll have to pay for the sensor and install! I have no clue how much that is, I'm sure its not cheap.
pretty easy to replace. the CKS is usaually on the block and held with a single screw
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Wow...that's a very odd problem that's occuring way too often. I smell potential recall, or at least a TSB. This isn't exactly the same thing as 1 in 5 people needing a new clutch...
Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 PM

that same thing happpened to me on friday night! it was about 130am. and my friend and i had just saw tokyo drift. when a z28 pulls up next to me! so i take off and the shift from 2-3 the car just died! i had it at about 5900rpms. scared the **** out of me! im taking it to the dealer today after work!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM

1-800-chev-usa It's free if you have warantee
Old 06-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mike_06_SS
that same thing happpened to me on friday night! it was about 130am. and my friend and i had just saw tokyo drift. when a z28 pulls up next to me! so i take off and the shift from 2-3 the car just died! i had it at about 5900rpms. scared the **** out of me! im taking it to the dealer today after work!

Yeah it seems to happen at the most inconvient time!

There is a TSB out for it but no recall (negative publicity). Ever since they installed the new CPS and flashed the computer with the nwe programming, I haven't had any issues. The idling issue seems to have gotten better since then too. It still happens every once in awhile.
I only had 400 miles on my car when the CPS crapped out (only had had it for 5 days!) so i was really pissed when I took it in. But it sux that it's happening to so many of us.

On the plus side, i heard the new stage 1 programming fixes the idle problem completely. Anyone checked that out yet?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:52 PM

Yep, its the crank postition sensor.

Mine just hiccuped on 6-8-06, after I got it out of limp mode its been fine since. I've been running it hard, even got in 20 runs at the track in 95+degrees with no problems.

Def. something to keep an eye on.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:08 PM

My car just die on me sunday night. Did the same accelerating in second gear about 4500 RPM's and just died. Everything went to zero and my heart sunk. The other problem is that I had to leave town for work monday morning and I wont be back until friday sometime. The car is sitting in my garage right now but I would like to find a way to get it too them sometime this week since im already gone and have no use for the car.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by JCarCobaltSS
Yeah it seems to happen at the most inconvient time!

There is a TSB out for it but no recall (negative publicity). Ever since they installed the new CPS and flashed the computer with the nwe programming, I haven't had any issues. The idling issue seems to have gotten better since then too. It still happens every once in awhile.
I only had 400 miles on my car when the CPS crapped out (only had had it for 5 days!) so i was really pissed when I took it in. But it sux that it's happening to so many of us.

On the plus side, i heard the new stage 1 programming fixes the idle problem completely. Anyone checked that out yet?
What is a TSB?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM

bump.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxpit
What is a TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin

It's kinda like a recall on a smaller level