Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

weird clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
weird clutch noise

i just noticed this today on my 06 ss/sc. with the car idling there is a kind of slight grinding/whirring noise. once you push the clutch in it goes away. then when you release the clutch it does it again and stays as long as the clutch is out. any ideas? i am on the stock clutch with 27k miles.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw out bearing going bad
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

^this
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM

Could it possible be a bent clutch rod? I am on the stock clutch. Also this noise is pretty much the clutch not fully disengaged right?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
That noise is the bearing bouncing around when it isn't pressing down on the pressure plate. That's why you hear it any time you are not stepping on the clutch. You would hear it while driving in gear but it's too quiet compared to all the other noise going on.

Only fix is to replace the TOB/Slave when you replace the clutch. Good time to upgrade to the LNF part, it's slightly beefier.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you hear the noise when in neutral (not moving) and not touching the clutch and then the noise stops when you press the clutch, it's the input shaft bearing of the transmission.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gremlin85
If you hear the noise when in neutral (not moving) and not touching the clutch and then the noise stops when you press the clutch, it's the input shaft bearing of the transmission.
It could still be the TOB in that situation. Remember even in neutral the clutch, and the therefore the TOB are spinning with the engine
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by bluebalt07
It could still be the TOB in that situation. Remember even in neutral the clutch, and the therefore the TOB are spinning with the engine
Highly doubtful.

The throw out bearing being bad would bring itself to attention when you press the clutch pedal. You are applying pressure to the bearing and it is pushing the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. Under load, you can hear the bearings in it that are bad.

Once you let off the clutch pedal, the load is removed off the throw out bearing and you shouldn't hear it at all, even if it's bad. I mean, if it's completely trashed you might hear it but if it's that bad chances are it won't work lol.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Highly doubtful.

The throw out bearing being bad would bring itself to attention when you press the clutch pedal. You are applying pressure to the bearing and it is pushing the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. Under load, you can hear the bearings in it that are bad.

Once you let off the clutch pedal, the load is removed off the throw out bearing and you shouldn't hear it at all, even if it's bad. I mean, if it's completely trashed you might hear it but if it's that bad chances are it won't work lol.
Not sure where you are getting your info, but in the real world, the bearings make noise under load, they don't get quieter. Yes you will hear an input shaft rattle in a similar manner, but even in neutral the input shaft is turning, so it doesn't matter clutch or not. You can hear an input shaft wind down if you know what to listen for, versus the TOB which will change tone as soon as you apply pressure.

These cars are not known for a noisy input shaft, but the TOB's make noise all the time. On my Z, it's the opposite, the input shaft makes noise on brand new cars, but the TOB is usually pretty stout.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Not sure where you are getting your info, but in the real world, the bearings make noise under load, they don't get quieter. Yes you will hear an input shaft rattle in a similar manner, but even in neutral the input shaft is turning, so it doesn't matter clutch or not. You can hear an input shaft wind down if you know what to listen for, versus the TOB which will change tone as soon as you apply pressure.

These cars are not known for a noisy input shaft, but the TOB's make noise all the time. On my Z, it's the opposite, the input shaft makes noise on brand new cars, but the TOB is usually pretty stout.
That's what I was saying. The throw out bearing is used to push the forks on the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. You push the clutch pedal, the TB applies the prussure to the forks on the pessure plate and the clutch is disengaged. You WILL hear the noise of a bad TB when this happens.

Just sitting at idle in neutral you won't hear the TB but if you have a bad input shaft bearing, that will make the noise. Pressing in the clutch and the noise goes away points to an input shaft bearing and not a TB bearing.

A noise getting louder when you push the clutch pedal points to a severly worn TB. You really shouldn't hear it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Another way I can explain a bad TB is if it sounds like marbles in a coffee can. Then that **** is toast lol.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM

That's what I was saying. The throw out bearing is used to push the forks on the pressure plate to disengage the clutch. You push the clutch pedal, the TB applies the prussure to the forks on the pessure plate and the clutch is disengaged. You WILL hear the noise of a bad TB when this happens.

Just sitting at idle in neutral you won't hear the TB but if you have a bad input shaft bearing, that will make the noise. Pressing in the clutch and the noise goes away points to an input shaft bearing and not a TB bearing.

A noise getting louder when you push the clutch pedal points to a severly worn TB. You really shouldn't hear it.
Usually the bearing will have a lot of slack in it, and it has a spring that keeps it pressed it up against the clutch so you will hear it rattle at idle with the clutch pedal released.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM

It should get louder if the bearing is bad.

What the OP explained is a grinding/whirring noise that goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. That is definitely input shaft bearing.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Banned

The OP also posted in another thread about hearing this noise and having a soft clutch pedal. That points to a bad TOB
Old 03-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluebalt07
The OP also posted in another thread about hearing this noise and having a soft clutch pedal. That points to a bad TOB
on the other post i was just asking about the noise. i dont have a soft pedal.

so if you hear the noise with the clutch released and it goes away when u push it in, it is the input bearing?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 PM

It's your TOB.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It's your TOB.
ok thanks. what will happen if i let it go. like when it gets worse what will happen? tested my clutch today(5th gear ow rpm full throttle) and had zero slip.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM

In all the years I've been working on cars I see/hear people with this same problem get told it's the TOB and when they replace it with a new clutch and the sound is still there, they act surprised.

If the symptoms are exactly how the OP describes, then I would most definitely say the input shaft bearing - Noise when sitting at idle and then goes away when you push the clutch in. You can almost hear it wind/whirr down as the input shaft slows from being disconnected from the spinning motor.

I've seen one case where this wasn't so and the person trying to describe it didn't do so in an understandable manner. Using words like "whir" and "grind" when it was better described as "jingle" and "marbles in a coffee can". That one was a TOB due to miscommunication and diagnosis.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM

i will try to be as descriptive as possible. with the car running and out of gear there is a slight but distinctive noise. i would say it is a whirring, not marbles or rattling. with the clutch out is when u hear it. now, when you began putting pressure on the clutch pedal it goes away. when you release the clutch you can visually see the rpm's drop on the tach a little bit for a split second.

i dont know how else to describe it. i can try taking a video but i doubt you would be able to hear it, it is that quiet. i just noticed this yesterday but i dont know how long it has been going on
Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 06cobalt racer
i will try to be as descriptive as possible. with the car running and out of gear there is a slight but distinctive noise. i would say it is a whirring, not marbles or rattling. with the clutch out is when u hear it. now, when you began putting pressure on the clutch pedal it goes away. when you release the clutch you can visually see the rpm's drop on the tach a little bit for a split second.

i dont know how else to describe it. i can try taking a video but i doubt you would be able to hear it, it is that quiet. i just noticed this yesterday but i dont know how long it has been going on
I am still saying the Input Shaft Bearing is the culprit. If it's only ever so slightly audible it's most likely normal and within tolerances.

The RPM drop you see is the clutch re-engaging and the drag from the input shaft and rotational mass of the clutch assembly putting a little load on the motor and the ECU compensating to maintain idle. Perfectly normal.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM

so i am fine then?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 AM

Answer the man damn it!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bleu
Answer the man damn it!
lol thanks man. i am sure i am fine
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Well your issue sounds like something I've come across now and I'm curious. I can make the noise come and go as I please depending on how fast I let out the clutch pedal... starting to drive me crazy
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 AM

oh ok i see

Quick Reply: weird clutch noise