Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket Install FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket Install FAQ

Since it's coming up a lot I have created this thread to consolidate all the findings from after market installs on the cobalt.

Originally Posted by Xenozx
1.) Cobalt SS is a double din, so this would fit problem free right?
No the Avic-D3 is too deep to fit in the existing radio well. You have to remove some of the plastic behind the radio and bend some supports back. Also I trimmed the front bezel in the 95-3302 kit and redrill some screw holes for the Avic to sit forward a bit more in the mount.

2.) It should be easy to hook all the stock speakers and such to this head unit, since I also have the pioneer system in my car, or will I need a special harness or anything.
I used the 70-2103 harness from metra, you wire is up like normal, and wire the blue antenna up to the blue amp on wire in the harness. Then you set the avic to power on the antenna whenever the unit is on (versa only on when the radio is playing)

3.) will I be able to attach my stock sub to it as well? Eventually I will get a separate sub, but after buying a 500+ head unit, I dont want to go buy a sub/box/amp/wiring right away.
If you wire the 4 speaker positions the subs and tweeter will work. The stock mp3 pioneer system outputs 4 normal (RF, LF, RR, LR) speaker positions and the stock amp, actually does the work of breaking it out to the 7 speaks individually.

4.) My stock speakers would probably sound better as the D3 provides more power then the stock unit to the speakers right?
Not really, at least that I have noticed, you can tweek the EQ setting a lot more so maybe with some work it could.

Anything else I should know or be aware of?
There are lots of wires to hook up. The VSS is tapped off the C3 pin 45 yellow wire off the PCM in my 05 SS/SC, when you hook it up it takes about 5 miles for it to begin to pick up the VSS as a simple hybrid, so don't be worried if it doesn't work right away.

The PAC SWI-PS works with the stock wheel controls. It's an awesome unit. General consensus is you need an IPOD to be able to have a good music setup and use the NAV, because the unit only has one DVD drive you can't use it for MP3's while the NAV is in use.

Also make sure you visit avic411.com and learn how to do the bypass, so you have full functions will in motion, otherwise it locks out a lot of functions while moving.

Last edited by zinner; 11-04-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fdbgsg
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 AM

Hey Zinner...Now with the VSS thats the car speed signal wire correct? Also I have a base 05 balt coupe is it the same wire for the hook up? And is there a little bit more (or better) of an explination of where the C2 pin 61 grey wire is? Just a general description (or pic if you have one) I just got my D3 in today and want to install it tomorrow.

As far as installing the reverse wire, do you think that it is necessary or should I just be worried about installing the pink speed signal wire?

Sorry a lot of questions, but I want to do it right...its not the first time i've installed audio equipment but its the first time i've done a nav in dash.

ohhh and finally I checked out the avic411 site...lot of useful info good link man!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 AM

the reverse wire is only if you have a rear view camera, the camera will go on immediately when you pop it into reverse..if you dont have a rear view camera (like me) the purple/white reverse wire is completely useless.. Im installing my Z1 on thursday and will have a how to with pics so
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM

ok So basically all I need is the Pink and white (i think its white too) wire? And that gets hooked up to the C2 pin 61 grey wire? Sounds like I just need to know were this wire is and ill be set! Or is there more to it?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 AM

The instructions to my z2 said that you need the reverse hooked up even if you dont have a reverse camera. It said you need to because the nav system needs to know if your going foward or backward. So i went ahead and hooked mine up, it wasnt hard you might as well do it just to make sure all your stuff is working properly.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Yeahhh i put mine in but didn't do the reverse. And haha yeah it doesn't move when you back up. but it still works just fine. Was really easy to install actually.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Moderator Alumni

Please NOTE: I updated the VSS wire. The original wire wasn't working for me. The new wire is on the PCM C3 connector and it's a yellow wire. That is working perfectly for me.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Thats strange, mine works fine. Only issue I am having is that it like to go off course.....A lot!!! and When I go above like 10 or 15 mph. I can't use some features in the NAVI or Normal menu. I did do the whole switch of the yellow wire from Avic411 any idears?

EDIT: Also weres this PCM C3 connector you speak of? Just in case mine is to ever go a little crazy?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM

ya mine nav bypass doesnt work all the time either, and i did the bypass PERFECT, so what i do is turn my key to ACC and when it says "starting up" i just flash my lights on and off three times then turn the car on, everything works perfect..

Zinner, Is it the only yellow wire on PCM C3? do you know that the yellow wire is?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by tombomb
ya mine nav bypass doesnt work all the time either, and i did the bypass PERFECT, so what i do is turn my key to ACC and when it says "starting up" i just flash my lights on and off three times then turn the car on, everything works perfect..

Zinner, Is it the only yellow wire on PCM C3? do you know that the yellow wire is?
Lol really? thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. It really works? I guess I'll give it a try haha.

Also definatly wondering about the wire too.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Moderator Alumni

Ok ORT, in the 3d calibratioin screen, what learn status are you in and how many speed pulses do you have?

If the VSS is working you should be in 3D Hybrid learning status and have 6 digits work of speed pulses and growing fast...

Since you have a 2.2 it won't be the same on your car as mine as we have different PCM's.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Ok speed pulse is 1174 and learning status is simple hybrid. Its been in for like 2 weeks also. Maybe I need to switch my wires up too, if so were can this yellow wire be located?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Ok ORT, in the 3d calibratioin screen, what learn status are you in and how many speed pulses do you have?

If the VSS is working you should be in 3D Hybrid learning status and have 6 digits work of speed pulses and growing fast...

Since you have a 2.2 it won't be the same on your car as mine as we have different PCM's.
So i used the origional pin 61 C2, and my speed pulse is @ 18 lmao, i am guessing thats a bad thing? because when i put it on the speedometer, it looks like is about exact, the cars speedo is a LITTLE bit faster then the units Speedo

Originally Posted by ORT
Lol really? thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. It really works? I guess I'll give it a try haha.

Also definatly wondering about the wire too.
ya it works EVERYtime, when i dont do it, it does the restricted menu and dvd function lockout, till your stopped, but you HAVE to make sure you put it on ACC only, like the first click with your key, twist your lights on and off three times and then turn the car on, if you flash them while the eng is running, or when your key is in "on" position it wont work

Last edited by tombomb; 11-04-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by ORT
Ok speed pulse is 1174 and learning status is simple hybrid. Its been in for like 2 weeks also. Maybe I need to switch my wires up too, if so were can this yellow wire be located?

yeah, you should have upwards of 300,000 speed pulses by now and be in 3d hybrid, simple hybrid means it's NOT working.

also if you go into the connections status screen in the hardware info you should see something other that 0 when you are moving. The speed pulses should read about 4x the speed. So at 60 it should be like 225.

You probably have 1174 speed pulses from hitting the cruise control button, that wire is used for the steering wheel cruise control.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM

So its the only yellow wire on the "horizontal" connector, or is that the vertical?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM

yeah, you should have upwards of 300,000 speed pulses by now and be in 3d hybrid, simple hybrid means it's NOT working.

also if you go into the connections status screen in the hardware info you should see something other that 0 when you are moving. The speed pulses should read about 4x the speed. So at 60 it should be like 225.

You probably have 1174 speed pulses from hitting the cruise control button, that wire is used for the steering wheel cruise control.
Any clue on how to solve this? and yeah it definatly says 0 on it at all times. And unfortunatly I don't have cruise control. My car is bone base model coupe lol only thing it has is that its an auto.

Do you think if I plug it into this yellow wire your talking about it will work?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM

^^^ ya i tested yesterday, and everytime i hit the cruise control button on and off it would add another speed pulse lmao, then in the conection screen i would hit the cruise on and it would show 1 then 0 really fast
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by ORT
Any clue on how to solve this? and yeah it definatly says 0 on it at all times. And unfortunatly I don't have cruise control. My car is bone base model coupe lol only thing it has is that its an auto.

Do you think if I plug it into this yellow wire your talking about it will work?
What year is your car and do you have auto or manual transmissions? I have the 2005 shop manual so I might be able to find it, but you need to find the VSS wire off the transmission and it connects to the PCM under the hood, the BCM (inside the car) doesn't have the connection you need as far as I know.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

Please NOTE: I updated the VSS wire. The original wire wasn't working for me. The new wire is on the PCM C3 connector and it's a yellow wire. That is working perfectly for me.
Is there any chance you can post a picture of this??

Thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM

What year is your car and do you have auto or manual transmissions? I have the 2005 shop manual so I might be able to find it, but you need to find the VSS wire off the transmission and it connects to the PCM under the hood, the BCM (inside the car) doesn't have the connection you need as far as I know.
I have a 05 Auto coupe. Haha if i knew were you lived I would drive to your house....it can't be that far from DE haha.

Another question. Were did you mount your I guess compass thing? Not sure what its called exactly but its that black magnetic thing that works with your directions. I mounted mine right under the Unit on the peice of metal between the HVAC controls and the Unit. Is that alright?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM

When I wired my Kenwood last time everything worked but no sound came out. So a friend who does installs wired 3 of them together and it worked great. What is this wire combination? Like just give me colors. lol. Because I can't remember. I've since sold the radio, but am getting another one. Alpine 9883.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM

If you wire the 4 speaker positions the subs and tweeter will work. The stock mp3 pioneer system outputs 4 normal (RF, LF, RR, LR) speaker positions and the stock amp, actually does the work of breaking it out to the 7 speaks individually.
So what you are saying as long as i wire the speakers correctly my stuff will work? What about the amp what will power it on? Any help here please
Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
So what you are saying as long as i wire the speakers correctly my stuff will work? What about the amp what will power it on? Any help here please
X2!! I have everything hooked up the way it's supposed to be, but have absolutely no sound at all!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by YellowSS06
X2!! I have everything hooked up the way it's supposed to be, but have absolutely no sound at all!!!
you have to connect the stock amp power wire

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Install FAQ