Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics
View Poll Results: Does the factory USB radio work with iPhone 6 and newer?
Yes, fully functional
100.00%
No, not at all
0%
Somewhat limited function
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Does built-in USB work with late model iPhones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does built-in USB work with late model iPhones?

Quick question - Does the factory radio with USB on the front work with late model iPhones?

The long details - I have a 2009 Cobalt SS/TC sedan. The USB radio option was the one option my dealer couldn't check off (I got the color, sunroof and limited slip though). I've found a factory radio online with the USB (much cheaper now than in 2009) but I found a forum on apple where someone said his (unknown model) iPhone didn't work - couldn't play music, etc. In 2009 when I test drove a coupe SS with built-in USB I tested my iPhone 3G and it worked. Now I have the iPhone 6.

Before I buy the radio I need to know if it will work with:
Full Function - control / dig through the stored* music & podcast on the phone, using the radio buttons & knobs, and the steering wheel buttons, showing folders/files on the LCD, as it worked with the iPods of that year. Charges phone. (*I'm only expecting the built-in Music.app & Podcasts.app to work; not Pandora, Amazon Music, etc)
Limited Function - AT LEAST play music & podcasts and charge the phone through that connection, even if I have to navigate through the phone.
Not at all - doesn't play music, can't control iPhone.

*I'm aware of the possible need for dealer ECM programming.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DurfDiggler; 10-08-2016 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added more details and clarification
Old 10-16-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I can test my friends iPhone 6... might take a few days tho lol
The following users liked this post:
DurfDiggler (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an iphone 6s and it is fully functional in my car. Unless GM change the radio between 09 & 10 it should work fine.
DurfDiggler (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I can test my friends iPhone 6... might take a few days tho lol
Thanks for the reply! I actually went to my Chevy dealer and tested my iPhone 6 in a 2010 Malibu. Very similar but not exactly the same radio. It worked exactly as I hoped. I ended up ordering the radio and it will be here in 3 days. Fingers crossed all goes well.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by 10blkss
I have an iphone 6s and it is fully functional in my car. Unless GM change the radio between 09 & 10 it should work fine.
Thanks for the reply! From my research, '09 & '10 radios are the same.
One thing I didn't test was 3rd party music apps like Amazon. If that doesn't work it's not the end of the world; I barely use it.

I actually went to my Chevy dealership the other day and tested my iPhone 6 in a 2010 Malibu. Very similar but not exactly the same radio. It worked exactly as I hoped. I ended up ordering the radio and it will be here in 3 days. Fingers crossed all goes well, like the steering wheel controls. Should be fine, according to my manual I'm the buttons are just resistors wired directly to the radio, not going through ECM (If I recall correctly). I'm also looking forward to no more ground loop noise!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:07 PM

how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I was looking to install a radio that has bluetooth so I can use my phone with calls via the speakers and sell my radio
Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM

ThoR - I ordered GM Part # 20789372 from replacementradios via eBay for $160. This is a FACTORY radio - I just wanted USB audio. With these cars the bluetooth is built into the onStar hardware, not the radio. If you're looking for aftermarket maybe check out the Pioneer AppRadio 4, or other radios that support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I thought about getting the AppRadio 4, but after all the adapters + install it would be about $1,000. That's just too much for me to spend, tbh. So, for $160 (+$15 shipping) I gain the ability to directly access the "iPod" folders saved in the phone via the radio's LCD, controlling with the knobs & buttons on the deck & the steering wheel; plus I don't have to use the Aux Cable; and I free up a cigarette lighter outlet. I don't get a fancy touch screen or Navigation or Siri voice controls.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:25 PM

how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I was looking to install a radio that has bluetooth so I can use my phone with calls via the speakers and sell my radio
Be warned - I paid $160 for a NEW - NEVER INSTALLED radio. This means it has never been attached to a car and therefore never programmed with a VIN. This is why I paid $160 - it should negate the need to have a dealership UNLOCK the radio.

There's still a 1% chance that I might have to get my ECM programmed by the dealership so the ECM knows what radio model it is dealing with. My service team at my chevy dealership where I bought and serviced the car, checked with 3 people, said they give me a 99% chance of no programming needed. We'll find out in 2 days when it comes in.

So, if you sell yours, you likely won't get much more than $60 - $100, since the buyer will have to take it and their car to a dealership to get programmed for about $125.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:36 PM

It's in; it works!

I just wanted to report in that the new radio arrived today, is installed and working! The whole process took less than an hour - pulling trim pieces, uninstalling the old radio, snooping around on the wiring for fun, installing the radio, testing, closing up the trim. I have full control from the radio's knobs and buttons and the steering wheel. Ffw & rwd works with Music & Podcast, and the steering wheel menu navigation works - hold up for enter, hold down for back. I can even play music from apps other than Music & Podcasts, like Amazon Music, but I have to start that on the iPhone (I forgot to test skip forward & back etc. It might work since I even get the song info on the radio's LCD.

Here's the only issue I've found so far - it's LOUD!!! Like the volume range is set too high. With the original radio, 75-80% was heavy metal level without making the speakers cry. Now, 25-30% and I hear the speakers flopping. Not just on USB, but Radio too. I really hope there is a secret menu to adjust this; I don't want to blow my speakers. Time to do some more research online, and a phone call to my dealership.

Any advice?

Last edited by DurfDiggler; 10-19-2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Not all text that was entered was posted.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:31 PM

Yeah the stock radio with USB is pretty nice.

I installed an aftermarket radio in my 2009 pontiac g5. There is an extra unit to connect the OnStar/Phone to the aftermarket head unit. Isn't too hard.

The Usb input is like a must for any car today!

Not sure about your volume issue. Is it from the same type of car?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM

Thor- can you tell me the GM Part # of your original USB Radio? Thanks.

(Copy/pasted from my post in another thread)
Here's my update. I took it to my dealership to reprogram the new USB radio to turn off the internal amplifier, which they were able to do in less than an hour, BUT the profile they loaded turned OFF the USB! They tech said there wasn't a profile for my car with the radio's GM part #. There are a ton of different #s for these radios. Basically when programming, he only sees a list of part #s, but it doesn't show him options like "amp off; usb on" etc. So he called GM tech support to put it in their hands to come up with a custom profile, or to tell him which profile would work. Well, I took it back yesterday for him to load that good profile, and it brought the USB back, but now the internal amplifier is back on, and my chimes and audio volume are loud AF again! They're looking into it, and will call me when they have another profile to try.

Does anyone have a GM part number for the USB Radio from a 2009 Cobalt SS Sedan with Pioneer speakers?
That part # should tell them which profile to load to turn off amp, and turn on USB.
The non-usb that came with my car is GM PART NO. 25834575. The new one that I bought with USB is GM PART NO. 20789372.
Thanks!
Old 10-28-2016, 03:28 PM

Not sure if I posted the last one right.

Yeah the stock radio with USB is pretty nice.

I installed an aftermarket radio in my 2009 pontiac g5. There is an extra unit to connect the OnStar/Phone to the aftermarket head unit. Isn't too hard.

The Usb input is like a must for any car today!

Not sure about your volume issue. Is it from the same type of car?
Thor- Not sure if you would have got an email about my last post, so I'm quoting your post in hopes it emails you-

Would you please tell me the GM Part # of your original USB Radio? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
20758187 should work
DurfDiggler (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 03:42 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by royce777
20758187 should work
Thanks Royce! I'll let you know how it works out for me.