Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Electronic Power Steering Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electronic Power Steering Module

Hello,

I have a 2006 Cobalt SS 2.0 S/C that had a bad electric power steering pump. I pulled off the motor and replaced it with a used one and it still didn't work. Both motors were tested using a car battery and both worked. I went to the junk yard and got a complete pump I swapped it out and now my car wont turn on. I have a security light on that won't turn off. I took my old pump and took off the module from it I had to cut off the wires that go into the pump as they cannot be taken off. I plugged it into my car and my car turned on and the security light went off. As soon as I plugged the replacement part the security light goes on and my car wont start. How can I reprogram the module so my car can start? Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I don't know if I posted this on the right place, correct if need be. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
you need to do a security relearn.

roll the drivers window down, reach through and turn the key on, leave it for 10 minutes or till the security light goes out. shut the key off, then turn it back on, wait another 10 minutes, shut the key off, turn back on for a final 10 minutes, then turn the key off. after that the car should start. its advisable to have a battery charger on the car while you do this.
The following users liked this post:
blackstar (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Or if you know someone with a good scan tool. Certain ones like the Mac mentor, snap on solus, tech 2 or ones of higher caliber they can do it as well
The following users liked this post:
blackstar (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
you need to do a security relearn.

roll the drivers window down, reach through and turn the key on, leave it for 10 minutes or till the security light goes out. shut the key off, then turn it back on, wait another 10 minutes, shut the key off, turn back on for a final 10 minutes, then turn the key off. after that the car should start. its advisable to have a battery charger on the car while you do this.

I tried this but the light didn't go off. What I did is I connected the old module and turned the car on. While it was running I disconnected the old module and I left the cable unplugged, my car turns on and off but my steering is still hard. I am assuming that cable needs to be connected to the module so the steering can work properly? But if I connect it the security light will come back on and the car won't turn on.